Huntington Ingalls Industries "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Jul 13, 2019

Found 456 reviews

3.6
Huntington Ingalls Industries CEO Mike Petters
Mike Petters
Pros
  • "Good pay, travel friends new places(in 45 reviews)

• "Good benefits,mangment,safe environment(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's an industrial shipyard environment with many old structures(in 18 reviews)

• "It was frustrating to be with a company where upper management would acknowledge inefficiencies, but wouldn’t seriously consider making changes(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Its ok"

Current Employee - Nuclear Machinist Mate in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits too.

Cons

Management has unrealistic expectations. Hourly employees are treated like lesser beings.

Advice to Management

Relate to your people and stop ruling with an iron fist. Find someway to get rid of the Union. They are garbage.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2019-06-15
  2. "Great management and atmosphere."

Current Employee - Engineer Technician in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick hire with applicable experience. Available overtime. Job security. Good benefits. Room for advancement.

Cons

Very low income compared to other companies for given experience. Awful parking.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2019-02-12

"Master Tradesperson 3"

Current Employee - Master Tradesperson III

Pros

Higher than average pay, good benefits (although relatively costly if you want anything decent), steady hours and a good work/life balance.

Cons

**First and foremost, I'll back up what another reviewer said. The conditions vary IMMENSELY depending on what section of the company your work for. That having been said:** You only accumulate 4-6 hours per MONTH of paid time off. Jesus Christ. Seriously? No management whatsoever. The managers or supervisors are NOT "leaders" by any conventional sense. I am subcontracted, and am forced to abide by not only HII's...

Advice to Management

When I got hired, you had a huge emphasis on "If you see something, say something", so when somebody does say something, you may want to listen. My "leaders" are telling me to do illegal things weekly.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2018-08-31
  4. "Painter"

Current Employee - Industrial Painter in Pascagoula, MS

Pros

Good benefits,mangment,safe environment.They take care of there workers

Cons

The walk to and from the job site

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-10-10

"Shipfitter"

Former Employee - Shipfitter in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Just don't get injured, not use in yard hospital, esp. Placed on workers comp. They say and plaster posters all over about workers comp fraud. But they are the FRAUDSTERS ! the yard will fire you on workers comp. And none of the bought out , paid off attorneys in Mississippi, nor any Federal agency, D O.L., under W.C. or F.M.L.A. will do anything but drag their feet and side with shipyard ! Many...

Cons

They post and display like they care about employees. They hire and keep bad employees while good ones carry load, repair their garbage, management is on good ole boy merit system. Union is in - house, and like local lawyers, part of INGALLS team. D.O.L. aides and abets in the yards crushing and grinding injured/wronged employees. And the parking is hellacious, lasts over hour, and vehicles are regularly damaged seriously.

Advice to Management

Do as you say. Support and assist those injured making YOUR PAYCHECKS. Not fire and leave to pain & inevitable financial ruin ! Look at RE-FITS! WHOSE FIXING, And who's causing/costing. And WHO enables/continues allowing process and employees at fault. Enforce lift limits, against supervision.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-08-03
  6. "Senior Instructional Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Drsigner in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, well run organization

Cons

Contract Work. Once the contract ends you may be let go if no new work comes along.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-06-07

"Not great place for open minded people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great pay -A lot of overtime -Good benefits

Cons

- Mangers who do know how to do their jobs - working with majority raciest white people - The overtime pay is less then what you get an hour - People do not like changes -Competition amongst different teams in same department -They make you stupid over time

Advice to Management

Find mangers who know what they are doing. In my department my manger does not know anything about software development, but yet is in chaser of development. Find people who know what they are doing, do not hire an Mechanical engineer for a software engineer position. There are many of computer science majors who can do that job right.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-04-20

"Decent place if you just want a decent paycheck"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, stability (steady paycheck), good benefits

Cons

-Management -Real engineering work opportunities are hard to find here. I estimate > 80% of engineering will never actually do any engineering work here. -Your opinion or what you want to do has no relevance.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-02-22

"Nuclear engineer"

Pros

Good benefits. great environment to work and people are very nice I worked there for over 10 years.

Cons

Bad parking. There's a lot of preferential treatment within the company that limits some people's promotion.

Advice to Management

Most managers have an open door policy and are fairly level-headed. However we have not received a pay raise in over 2 years.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-01-24

"If You're Only Looking for a Career Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits if you don't get too attached to your job on a long term basis.

Cons

"Invisible Upper Management" Not an employee friendly company, only interested in the bottom line - profit. Management considers employees "disposable" at any given moment.

Advice to Management

You acquisitioned the company I worked for 11+ years. Instead of growing your subsidiary, you scaled the business to the bare bone and restructured it for nuclear and let many of us jobless...Lesson Learned...if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2017-01-31