Huntington Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Eileen Huntington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great position to be actively engaged with your students in a positive one- on -one environment (in 24 reviews)

• working with students who really need it (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no room for advancement (in 47 reviews)

• Only part time positions for tutors (in 37 reviews)

1. "teacher"

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice managers who care about the students. Flexible hours. Very satisfying to help students who are struggling in school.

Cons

Hourly pay is low, not much opportunity for advancement.

2. "A Pleasure to be A Part Of!"

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

I have worked at other tutoring centers before Huntington Learning Center, but I haven’t seen student success like I have here. I am so pleased by the results that our students consistently gain on their ACT/SAT scores at the Fort Collins center. It is a great feeling come to work every day knowing we can make a difference in our students lives.

Cons

No cons that I can think of!

3. "Horrible Place to work as an Assistant Director"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the amazing kids and teachers

Cons

everything else. no work life balance. Horrible Managers!!!! No appropriation for employees. penny pintchers.

Advice to Management

cut it off at the head. the issue starts from the very top!... Stop being so cheat...invest in your employees... the multiple training DONT HELP!!!!!! AT ALLLLL

4. "Low pay and no benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

The children are great and the tutors are awesome

Cons

Low pay
    No benefits even for full time staff (overheard them talking)
    Hot tempered management
    Racism towards families
    No organization
    Full time staff becomes very frustrated at the smallest things.
    Constant curriculum changes with no re training
    Almost no staff meetings to get to know others or hear about changes

Advice to Management

Don’t have your office doors open when making fun of families or their last names. Create some form of organization and togetherness, I could tell there was a lot of tension between full time staff and towards tutors. Trainings are also important, no one has any idea what is going on due to lack of communication.

"Best Tutoring Around"

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

My two youngest children went through the Huntington ACT program. Both increased their scores by 6 and 10 points. Because of this, they were able to get amazing scholarships to the universities they wanted most. Huntington also worked around their busy high school schedules and extracurricular activities, which was a big help and took away some of the stress. They also loved their tutors! Definitely give them a call!

Cons

Needs to be bigger because of all the students!!! (It's a good problem to have)

"An underpaying job with unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Education
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Education

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping students to develop academic skills, working with the part-time teachers (if you're able to build good rapport with them)

Cons

If you're interested in working in an environment educating young minds, Huntington Learning Center is absolutely not the place for you. If you're interested in sales or business, this job may be a better fit for you.

Working at two Huntington Learning Centers has been an absolutely terrible experience. I first worked as a part-time teacher and then applied to be the Assistant Director of Education because I was desperate for a full-time job. I was grossly underpaid both as a teacher and as Assistant Director. I would often work close to fifty hours a week (as a full-timer) and would hardly ever have time to take lunch. As the Assistant Director, I was responsible for conducting visits to local businesses and forming partnerships. I had to do 100 or more of those a month, which is a completely unrealistic expectation considering all the other responsibilities that fall under the Assistant Director. As an Assistant Director, you're supposed to be in the Center managing the part-time teachers, monitoring the students' progress, evaluating prospective students' academic performance, grading exams, interviewing, hiring, and training multiple part-time teachers per month, creating the weekly student-staff schedule, bringing in a certain percentage of the monthly revenue, and managing payroll. This is by no means an exhaustive list of the responsibilities. The training provided to you before you start the job won't mean much to you unless you've worked at a Huntington as a teacher. Even if you do have previous Huntington experience, the learning curve will be tough. You also won't be trained on all of the programs offered by the Center, but you'll be expected to know about them when parents inquire. Additionally, you'll have to be able to train the part-time staff under you, which is difficult when you've never even been trained yourself on these programs.

You will be expected to hire multiple teachers per month, but you're forced to offer them an insulting wage, so don't expect to actually hire many of the people you can manage to pull in for an interview because they won't (and shouldn't) work for peanuts.

Scheduling is also another nightmare. Students often call out, and you're blamed for not convincing the students to come in for their sessions. The part-time teachers will be upset with you when they're waiting in-center for the student to come, and the student calls out five minutes before the session or simply does not show up at all. Then management will get on your case about your part-time payroll numbers being too high. Some teachers come from a bit of a distance, and they technically are supposed to be paid for an hour if their students cancel. They'll be upset that you're not able to give them pay for the full amount of time that they were scheduled. Management will be upset that you need to pay a teacher who is not teaching.

It can be difficult to work with multiple students at one time because they're all working on something different. For this reason, you may have a hard time helping the students you are working with. For example, if you're working with one student and another two finish their work and start acting up, you will have to figure out a way to keep the situation under control. You might have to divert your attention from the first student, who may go off task. This type of classroom management should not necessarily be a problem for experienced teachers, but it could be a challenge for newcomers to the profession.

In terms of marketing, in addition to visiting an absurd amount of local businesses, you will have to do cold calls to families. Management will try to convince you that you're not doing cold calls because you will be calling families that had previously enrolled in the center, but these are, in fact, cold calls because you do not know these families personally; these families may have enrolled their children several years before you were even hired. You also don't know what type of experiences these families had with the company, so expect to have some parents confused and/or annoyed that you're calling.

The hours are incredibly long, and you may often get stuck working late. Don't expect any overtime because this is a salaried position.

As the Assistant Director, you may also be responsible for bringing in part of the monthly budget. If you enjoy sales, this may not be a problem for you. If you're interested in Huntington Learning Center as an educator, this may be tough for you.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers (part-time and full-time) an appropriate wage/salary, do not place unrealistic expectations on your full-time staff. You may say that it's all about how you schedule your day, but there is only so much that one person can handle if they're looking to handle it with quality. Also, LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF WHEN THEY TELL YOU SOMETHING. I had been telling my operations manager that we were not allowed to put signs out due to a town ordinance, but she did not listen, and the Center was almost fined. I then had to go out and pull up all the signs from alongside the road.

"SAT tutor"

Former Employee - Reading and Writing SAT Tutor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Reading and Writing SAT Tutor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was pretty friendly, even though most of the tutors were younger and the admin staff & management were older. The pay was okay considering the qualifications: have a college degree and prove you can do well on the SAT (they actually make you take it when you apply). It's also a pretty stress-free job, and you interact with kids so it's fun.

Cons

The hours. It's a part-time position through and through.

Advice to Management

Pay the tutors more.

"Math Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work with great students

Cons

Few internal opportunities for advancement

"Does what it says on the tin"

Former Employee - Teacher in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to start, no preparatory work to speak of. No drama, just show up and teach.

Cons

Very repetitive, as you go through the same 3 books over and over. Little flexibility and low pay.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Its a little ridiculous to charge 50-60 per hour for the tutoring, and then pay the tutor 10.

"Assistant Director"

Pros

Fulfilling work, great experience, great staff

Cons

No room for growth besides managing a center.