Huntington Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2018

3.4
Eileen Huntington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great position to be actively engaged with your students in a positive one- on -one environment" (in 25 reviews)

• "Working with students individually to help them be better students" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, repetitive teaching (by the book modules)" (in 51 reviews)

• "Only part time positions for tutors" (in 38 reviews)

1. "Tutor"

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Good working environment and good crew

Cons

Some students don't show up to scheduled tutoring on time

2. "Company that cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors that care about me - not just about the bottom line.

Cons

Customer service based, if you do not like to speak with people - this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "not going to pay the bills"

Pros

really lovely people to work with

Cons

students occasionally cancel at the last minute or just don't show up

4. "Good for students, bad for employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program does help students to significantly increase their scores.

Cons

I never saw this as a part time teacher but As the assistant director my boss and the owner treated me horribly (parent and child) to the point where I nearly quit on the spot every day for 2 weeks. I wasn’t given the training I was promised and was chastised for not knowing everything about the company within the first several months. My boss made mistakes and blamed them on me. They said terrible things about teachers and students behind their backs. they kept asking me to schedule teachers outside of their availability regularly because of over enrollment. They also paid me incorrectly and insist that what they did was in line with wage and hour laws. There have been about 6 AD’s at this franchise in the past 2 or 3 years according to my boss. They started telling me about previous people who they fired on my first day. This was not a healthy work environment

Advice to Management

Hold your franchises to a high ethical standard. Employees should be treated with respect if you want to lower your turn over rates

5. "Unfulfilling"

Former Employee - English Tutor
    Former Employee - English Tutor

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule (at times)
    "easy" work (but unfulfilling/boring)

Cons

outdated material
    no room for growth
    outdated methods

Advice to Management

I really think the teaching methods should be updated. I worked in two different centers with vastly different approaches, but neither one went outside the box enough to allow tutors (skilled, creative teachers) to actually teach beyond rote memorization. We should be going beyond looking at test scores and actually helping kids want to learn and succeed. The curriculum, if you want to call it that, is from the 90's. Update some of us so it is interesting to these kids who have the internet at home and can find more interesting articles in a Google search.
    Teachers should have more of an opportunity to interact with each other positively to promote engagement. Socializing shouldn't be so stifled.

6. "HLC has issues to resolve"

Former Employee - ACT Test Prep Tutor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - ACT Test Prep Tutor in Reno, NV

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with students individually to help them be better students. It was nice to have interaction with the students. Also, some of the office staff were pleasant and helpful.

Cons

1. Training needs to be more thorough
    2. Main area for tutoring needs to be reorganized. Carrels are jammed together too tightly and do not offer good environment for learning. The large room can be very noisy.
    3. Carpet throughout the center needs to be replaced. It is badly worn and stained.
    4. Pay is low for test prep tutors. Tutors have bachelor's and master's degrees.
    5. ACT Test Prep book is outdated and needs to be more effective as a learning tool.
    6. Center needs to move to automatic deposit for employee paychecks.
    7. Tutors may be asked to work 6 hours straight with no break.
    8. There is a lot of emphasis on how many students/parents sign up with HLC, regardless of whether there are enough tutors or enough physical space to actually do the tutoring.

Advice to Management

Get truly effective materials. Pay tutors more. Put more money into maintenance of the building (carpet, A/C, etc.). See other problems above that need to be resolved.

7. "Great part-time tutoring job"

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is generally friendly and accommodating. Scheduling is flexible and ensures consistency with the same students. Curriculum is straight-forward and easy to use and related paperwork for each student is easy to learn and update. Location is in a lovely neighborhood with grocery store, restaurants, and a park nearby.

Cons

I didn't appreciate being told that I wasn't allowed to tell the students that I was new. It wasn't something I was going to advertise, but I believe that if a student asked honestly, then I would answer honestly. I also live about 30 mins from the location, so I didn't like when students would cancel their session on my way to work because I'd have to turn around and go home.

8. "Positive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oradell, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training process and friendly staff

Cons

inflexible hours and long days

"Center Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oradell, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no Pros to working for this company and their berating management.

Cons

Do not believe the schedule is what they say. Be prepared to be pressured to work on your days off all the time. More meetings to get more money. If you do not go in, you will be targeted.

Huntington Learning Centers Response

Oct 25, 2018 – Sr. Manager of Recruiting and Employee Relations

We are truly disappointed to receive your review. While the standard in operating a learning center business is high, work-life balance is valued. If there is specific feedback you'd can share... More

10. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oradell, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very helpful and supportive of staff

Cons

No full time opportunities or benefits