Huntington Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • very low pay in comparison to other tutoring facilities (in 41 reviews)

• I would recommend this to anyone wanting a part time teaching job (in 33 reviews)

1. "Franchise Owner"

Current Employee - Center Director in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Center Director in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent support and training, you are provided an opportunity to control many aspects of your business future.

Cons

Requires owner to understand and work all aspects

"Center Director"

Former Employee - Center Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Center Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"To give every student the best education possible". This is what Huntington Learning Center stands for and it delivers every single day that their centers are open. Working as a Center Director alongside with dedicated professionals helping students achieve their educational goals, I got to see first hand the incredible changes and results students would achieve. The environment and positive culture that the staff creates is what makes all the hard work pay off. It is truly a great place to work at, aside from the opportunities for career advancement and professional development, being entrusted with other's children and delivering the results that the company holds dear to its heart is what it makes HLC stand out above any other tutoring companies.

Cons

If one looks really hard to find flaws with Huntington Learning Center, they may find them, however there are no cons in working for HLC.

Advice to Management

Management has been excellent to take action towards bettering the work environment and overall satisfaction of its staff, by listening to what the employees are saying. Keep up the good work!

3. "Part-time teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Love being able to just focus on teaching. The student programs are set up for the teachers and there are no parent meetings. The full-time staff and owners really work with the teachers to make it a positive learning environment.

Cons

Hours vary week to week.

"Don't let them hook you in"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the students and seeing minds grow
    Learning new teaching styles that can be incorporated elsewhere
    Nothing else really

Cons

Late hours and no time for personal tasks
    Pay is beyond low for the amount of time and energy you spend to ensure all the students are taken care of
    Managers who micromanage beyond what's physically possible to do in a single day
    High turn around rate
    Promise for advancement not kept

Advice to Management

Smile be nice and stop bullying people into doing things and making them feel that they can't achieve anything help your employees learn instead of replacing them which is a common practice through the company

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr. Manager of Recruiting and Employee Relations

We are sincerely disappointed to hear about your experience. If there is any additional and specific feedback to provide, please contact our corporate representative at RotinoJ@hlcmail.com.

5. "Exam Prep Tutor Review"

Current Employee - Exam Prep Tutor in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Exam Prep Tutor in Boise, ID

Pros

Flexible hours, fun working environment, no lesson planning

Cons

Inconsistent hours, student cancellations, no benefits, no bonuses

Advice to Management

Really wish being a tutor could be a full time job with a salary you could live off of

6. "Regional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management, solid direction, good advancement oppys. Solid culture. Everyone willing to help. Interesting, engaging, stimulating work. Very happy

Cons

Non-standard hours, since students attend after school. But, I'm from retail, so that works for me. Lots to do, but I guess that's good, since I like to keep busy. Sometimes parents are difficult due to unrealistic expectation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work developing staff. More training, especially on customer service.

"Factory"

Former Employee - Private Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Private Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People tutor to have flexibility in their schedule, and make extra money, usually to supplement income. Advantage is clients provided, and you work from their office, don't have to travel

Cons

The pay is laughably low and applies for a full year.

Advice to Management

No one is going to provide quality tutoring for that pay, so it's really just ripping parens off.

8. "Great team...."

Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Huntington for several years in various capacities, full-time and part-time. Throughout my experience, I worked with an amazing team of teachers and managers who devoted their efforts each day to the students and families. The results that students achieve are tremendous and at the end of the day it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Cons

The hours are challenging, but the days fly by because it is such a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to enhance curriculum and programing.

"Don't waste your time!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students and other teachers who worked there.

Cons

- Do not let the uptick in positive reviews on this site fool you. They were clearly written by those at corporate headquarters and they forced full time employees to write those positive reviews for them.

- The pay is extremely low
    - Extremely high employee turnover rate in both full time and part time staff
    - Constant last minute cancellations/last minute schedule changes
    - Outdated curriculum
    - Materials in binders that are all falling apart
    - Tight budget for even the most basic of supplies while parents are forking over $10,000.00
    - Huntington Learning Center is strictly about money over quality
    - Have to literally beg for a yearly .25¢ raise that never came
    - There sales pitch model was once stated to full time staff as, "If they cry, they buy." Meaning that if a full time staff is able to guilt the parents into thinking that their child is in such desperate need of help, the parents will likely fork over the money because they feel helpless in being able to provide for their child academically.

Advice to Management

Listen to all the complaints made by current and previous staff. You killing your own company by refusing to move along with the times.

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr. Manager of Recruiting and Employee Relations

10. "Managing Director, Assistant Director and Tutor"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Woodstock, GA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I found working for this company to be somewhat fulfilling. Helping students do better was the best part, hands down.

Cons

Unless you want to be a salesperson, don't do anything but tutor for this company. As an AD, I had to go into schools and businesses and try to bring in new business. As Managing Director, my meetings with parents were less about the student and more about keeping the kids there as long as possible. Plus the salaries suck. They charge between $50 and $75 per hour, per student and as MD (second in command) I was making $15 an hour. The bulk of my "salary" was supposed to come from bonuses earned by enrolling students.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like salespeople when their strengths are in management, teaching , and student enrichment. Let the employees who excel at sales do it rather than forcing everyone except part time tutors to be sales people.