Huntington Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility of scheduling with one on one interactions with student (in 23 reviews)

• working with students who really need it (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • very low pay in comparison to other tutoring facilities (in 42 reviews)

• Only part time positions for tutors (in 34 reviews)

1. "Supplemental Education Supervisor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flex schedule
    Decent hours
    Easy daily tasks

Cons

Unrealistic goals were set by my supervisors. They kept saying "it's about the kids" when it came to attendance and student engagement but really it was about the bottom line. The franchise owner I worked for only got paid for students who were in attendance every session. Therefore, pressure was constantly put on us to make sure kids show up. Which quite honestly, from a business point of view isn't bad in my opinion. The kicker that turned me off was the fact that they couldn't be honest with us as adults and just say what it really was. "Get kids here so we can make this money.." Also, the program was federally funded so we were on a year to year contract. Eventually, the government stopped funding the program.

Advice to Management

Be open with your employees. No one is ignorant to the fact that the business must make money. That's why you charge a fee for the service.. to make money!

2. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

generally easy work and good students

Cons

Lower pay and different mixed hours

3. "Ok For Extra Cash"

Current Employee - Part-Time Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part-Time Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, easy work, most students are great to work with.

Cons

Last minute cancellations, low pay, Huntington Learning method

Advice to Management

Higher pay attracts higher quality teachers

4. "Theres better and theres worse"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Cant say theres really any pros, I guess if you work hard enough you get your comission, but the base salary is pretty low for anyone with a Masters .The actual job duties arent reallt bad,

Cons

Some parents are rediculous and the company does allooot of trainings that arent executed vey well. Cirriculum could be updated, if youre resourceful and have good teachers you can make it work, Not many people last more than a few months. Its alot of work that cannot actually be executed in the work week. More hours needed to be added to the schedule, base salaries need to be raise atleast $10,000 and more employees will be invested in their job.

Advice to Management

Raie base salaries and you wil get more comitted individuals and reduce turnover rate,

5. "Could be better, could be worse."

Pros

No work to take home. Don't have to deal with parents. Able to work with a variety of students. Flexible hours. No micromanaging.

Cons

Pay is criminally low considering most who work at Huntington are licensed teachers. Hours are inconsistent -- some weeks are busy, some are not. Teachers aren't given much liberty to stray from curriculum. I often feel more like a proctor than an educator.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers a higher wage. Offer full-time teaching positions. Create opportunities for professional development, or at the very least, have regular meetings to discuss student progress, suggestions for improvement in the center, etc.

"Center Director"

Current Employee - Center Director in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with curriculum and helping the student population

Cons

Too many hours and too many bosses

Advice to Management

Micro management robs enthusiasm

7. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

Flexible schedule. No work to take home. Building relationships with students.

Cons

Outdated learning materials. Last-minute schedule changes. Hours not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Update learning materials.

8. "SAT tutor"

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

-You create your own schedule to work by
    - As a SAT tutor, you basically just follow the teacher's edition to teach the kids
    - Students usually tend to be driven and amicable

Cons

- The managerial staff always seemed to have a stick up their butt
    - Pay rate isn't as good as you'd like
    - You might want to brush up on your SATs since you're required to take the exam as part of the recruiting process

Advice to Management

- Update your resources/books at the learning center; some of the books have outdated knowledge
    - Treat all your teachers the same, acknowledge every teacher- young and old- with the same respect

"Center Director"

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

The programs are effective and students show dramatic academic growth. Truly change lives of not just the students but their families as well. Staff is provided frequent and timely trainings.

Cons

Long hours. Staff turnover is frequent and burdens the people left behind on the team till new people get ramped up. Ramp up time for new FT staff is 6 months to one year.

Advice to Management

Goals should be modified so that they are realistic and attainable especially when teams are subjected to attrition.

10. "Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students that you sometimes have to teach given that you're short staffed on tutors and the tutors themselves

Cons

The monotonous activites corporate makes you do every day that really only slows down your productivity and shifts attention away from your particular center towards making them happy

Advice to Management

Overworking the full time staff is the reason there is such a high turnover rate across all centers