Huntington Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • very low pay in comparison to other tutoring facilities (in 40 reviews)

• I would recommend this to anyone wanting a part time teaching job (in 33 reviews)

1. "Academic Tutor"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Mandeville, LA
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Mandeville, LA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule options, professional staff, and wonderful students. An awesome work experience!
    An endless opportunity to learn, just a fun place to work! Doesn't even feel like work, super enjoyable, the time flies by.

Cons

Other than it not being a full time position I cannot think of a negative thing to say about HLC.

"Constantly Late Paychecks (currently behind by 2 months)"

Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

-you are able to work with children

Cons

-the pay periods and paycheck dates are whenever the franchise owner feels like she wants to pay wages for the teachers' services. Currently, she has only paid her employees for hours worked up to April 30 (2 months behind!) and that was done only after a month of jerking everyone around via mass emails telling us she didn't know when she would be able to pay us.

Advice to Management

Either start paying your employees for their services in a timely consistent matter or perhaps it's time to find a different career.

"tutor"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

I have the credentials as well as the experience. on occasion,I feel like its glorified babysitting.

Cons

disorganized with scheduling,hiring too many new tutors who will NOT last thru the summer,&shortchanging staff on hours. Having a second job is a MUST!! Also, the hiring process was ridiculous!! for 15 bucks an hour?? I have over 20 years experience AND A masters degree for gods sake!! and NPTHING has been said about what happens when I've been here(if I make it ) after 6 months!!! do I get a raise??

Advice to Management

the micromanaging,the lack of organization&the lack of professionalism,especiallyby one of the assistant managers is awful!! First my hours are cut, then someone quits,or is late..I show up early,then oh by the way,a kid called out sick(why didn't you call me when this happened??) Stop being soooo scattered!!! no wonder people leave!!!

5. "Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students that you sometimes have to teach given that you're short staffed on tutors and the tutors themselves

Cons

The monotonous activites corporate makes you do every day that really only slows down your productivity and shifts attention away from your particular center towards making them happy

Advice to Management

Overworking the full time staff is the reason there is such a high turnover rate across all centers

6. "Excellent for part-timers, less so for full-timers"

Former Employee - Assistant Director and Teacher in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Director and Teacher in Omaha, NE

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was part-time (as a floor teacher and an ACT/SAT prep teacher), I got to meet some really excellent students and I got to do some meaningful work. Many of my coworkers were also kind, compassionate, and competent, and so were enjoyable to work with.

Cons

As a full-time assistant director, I had a really hard time balancing the expected 35-40 hours of teaching along with all of my administrative tasks -- it made for a miserable few months before I left that position and returned to being part-time.

Advice to Management

Good staff are hard to find sometimes. It's important to do what it takes to keep them around. If there's a lot of turnover in a position, it probably indicates that something is awry.

"Don't quit your day job"

Current Employee - Exam Prep Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Exam Prep Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Huntington is really quite fun. The environment is inviting and positive and the actual teaching is easy since you are following a curriculum.

Cons

The pay isn't great and on top of that you won't get very many hours. They usually give the new teachers a decent amount, but after a while you'll be lucky to get 10 hours a week by the end of the school year.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many new teachers when you already have staff that is desperate for hours.

8. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide students
    Friendly atmosphere
    You don't have to go to different student's houses (they all meet you at Huntington)
    Great Experience for someone just starting out or just looking for extra money if you are a teacher

Cons

You can't make as much as much money as you could going out on your own as a tutor
    Not many other cons I can think of

Advice to Management

The management was great while I was there. I think they do a great job as managing things at Huntington. No complaints

9. "Owners matte"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is usually an interesting, flexible, and ever changing job. Great way for recent college graduates to build resume experience.

Cons

Hours can be spotty, suggestions aren't always heard, if the owners aren't very personable the work can be miserable. Franchised, but tend to do things how they want at each center. Parents tend to be able to walk all over the centers.

10. "Subject Tutor"

Current Employee - Subject Tutor in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Subject Tutor in Albany, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding, easy work; really tailor it to your kids

Cons

Hours are subject to the kids; means no hours some weeks and lots the next

"Awesome place to get develop teaching skills"

Former Employee - Exam Prep Instructor in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Exam Prep Instructor in Bothell, WA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Admins are helpful and feels like you are a part of a team. Other tutors are fun to work with and are willing to help each other out whenever possible. Although, Huntington provides teaching materials, they give you a lot of freedom in how your teach your students (as long as your students are showing progress and an interest in learning). It's a great place to develop your own style of teaching.

Cons

One thing that could have been better was the pay. But, I had a great experience and a blast working here with the other tutors and admin!