Cover image for Huntington Learning Centers

66% Recommend to a Friend
75% Approve of CEO

Found 971 of over 988 reviews

3.7
Huntington Learning Centers CEO  Eileen Huntington (no image)
Eileen Huntington

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Teachers

199.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Huntington Learning Centers~7937
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is low for the amount of work that you have to complete in the center.(in 125 reviews)
  • "Management is poor.(in 40 reviews)
  • "No benefits and sometimes students cancel last mintue.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Not enough training provided(in 27 reviews)
  • "Very poorly managed with an emphasis on how much money they could squeeze out of every student instead of their success.(in 17 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Huntington Learning Centers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Mission oriented company

Nov 3, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of curricular resources and support from full time staff

Cons

The schedule can vary at times

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Meaningful Work

Nov 25, 2022 - Center Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Providing meaningful tutoring and education that is helpful for students.

Cons

Long hours, but generally you can negotiate to make it manageable and benefit all full-time staff.

3. Join the Huntington Learning Centers team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Fantastic atmosphere

Nov 26, 2022 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company clearly stands for giving kids the best education possible and does what it can to make that a reality.

Cons

Although the structure is there, I've heard not all locations follow the structure.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Depends on executive director

Nov 15, 2022 - Assistant Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of room for growth Wonderful program Loved my team

Cons

I was only part of a team of 2 and didn’t enjoy working with my executive director

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Environment, Could Use Better Pay

Nov 8, 2022 - Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment with great coworkers. It's realky nice to only work with the students and never deal with the parents.

Cons

Could pay better - it's not a lot.

7. 5.0

A great place to work!

Oct 18, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

My boss is supportive and helps me to learn and grow. The work is not very difficult and keeps you on your toes. You just need to be flexible and creative at times, which can be challenging, but fun. The majority of the kids are great to work with.

Cons

Some students can be tough to work with, but those are not too common.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Low-stress, Flexible Job

Oct 19, 2022 - Teacher in Rochester, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Low-stress, good company culture, opportunities for higher hourly pay (ie: if you have a college degree, teaching certificate, etc.) Opportunities to work in-person and virtually; Choose your hours

Cons

Maybe not sustainable for a long-term job. Good for students and people who want to make extra money on the side.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Small Company

May 27, 2022 - Assistant Director in Worthington, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Has an actual impact on children / future college students. Good start into the work force. Good experience for a job. You learn multiple skills - AE Evaluations, scheduling, leadership, marketing, sales, customer service, continued education, etc.

Cons

You wear a lot of different hats, can be good on somedays or a lot on other days. If you aren't big on marketing this may not be a good fit.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people to work for

Oct 26, 2022 - Academic Tutor in Lakeland, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Training is offered Everyday is different Great coworkers and Managers

Cons

Pay wasn’t great and no benefits

11. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An Outdated but Fulfilling Job

Oct 15, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Huntington is extremely flexible with its hours which means you can have a second job if you like or focus on your personal life and hobbies outside of work. The kids are always a joy to work with and my starting pay isn't bad. I got a small raise in a short amount of time compared to other jobs I've had and I even have wiggle room to be creative with the space.

Cons

The curriculum is EXTREMELY outdated. I've found slurs, outdated terminology, and vocabulary that even I don't recognize, and I have a degree in literature. Non-fiction stories that no longer are up to date such as Pluto being a planet, another story that has been proven false, and racism within some of the core readers (including math) that had me scrambling to make any corrections a learning experience. The business practice also feels old. Granted, I'm only speaking on behalf of the center I work at, but it's weird to me that the business is built around educating kids and preparing them for the future but the books are outdated and there's very little room to allow kids to be kids. Luckily my employer has allowed me to decorate the center, but I feel more pressured to just do things one way and not expand on what kids need to really feel listened to and engaged and I think that's a major downfall for the business overall. Kids aren't cattle and they shouldn't be treated like machines with little breaks or room to express themselves creatively. Lastly, the hours. I get it's a tutoring job and the amount an hour is great, but with the business practice, it feels as if you can't grow in the business and work longer to bring that money in without somehow hurting the business. It's weird and feels like they're asking for a lot of money from the families but then the money is distributed in a way that tries to pay the teachers well but then cuts back their time to be able to afford 4 hours of work at let's say $20 an hour at 3-4 days a week. It's like they value money over actually wanting to pay their teachers well and have the kids succeed in a modern facility.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 971 Reviews
</>Embed

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews FAQs

Huntington Learning Centers has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 988 reviews left anonymously by employees. 66% of employees would recommend working at Huntington Learning Centers to a friend and 52% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Huntington Learning Centers employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Huntington Learning Centers. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

66% of Huntington Learning Centers employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Huntington Learning Centers 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Huntington Learning Centers to be workplace, work life balance, coworkers and the cons to be career development, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with Huntington Learning Centers Job Seekers