Huntington Learning Centers "low pay" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Huntington Learning Centers Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Sep 11, 2019

3.2
Huntington Learning Centers CEO Eileen Huntington (no image)
Eileen Huntington
Pros
Cons
  • "Extremely low pay compared to independent market rate(in 61 reviews)

• "Not always part time, more like quarter time(in 42 reviews)

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great curriculum and friendly coworkers

Cons

The schedule is inconsistent (based on students needs). Low pay.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-01-27
  2. "Positive Environment - Low Pay - Inconsistent Hours"

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Prep Coordinator

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Somewhat Flexible Schedule Adaptive and Challenging Process

Cons

Low Pay Not Full Time Inconsistent Scheduling Due to Revolving around students

Huntington Learning Centers2019-09-11
  3. "Low pay"

Current Employee - Teacher in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is not hard Low stress No lesson plans to make, just follow the program

Cons

low pay, no room to advance

Advice to Management

Offer raises after 6 mos and one year of work

Huntington Learning Centers2019-08-21
  4. "Not bad tutoring job"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Good environment, good kids.

Cons

Low pay Not enough hours for the amount of teachers they have No direct deposit

Huntington Learning Centers2019-07-22

"Lots of big responsibilities for low pay"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Yorktown Heights, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros

The program really does help kids learn and catch up or boost their SAT/ACT scores, the teachers go above and beyond for students, quiet working environment

Cons

The FT hours are terrible (typically 10:30-8:30 Mon-Thurs with alternating Fridays and Saturday). Lots of responsibilities on FT staff for low pay (and, for most franchise employees, no benefits). Was brought on to a company center complete with benefits, bonuses, and paid training - all of that is gone now. The profit motive is strong and the pay for both FT staff and PT teachers is insultingly low.

Advice to Management

Pay your FT staff more. Support your franchise employees more and don't isolate them.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-07-12

"Lots of potential, but they just don't get it and probably never will"

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not a lot of planning or prep Friendly co-workers Great feeling when the kids succeed

Cons

Pay is low - barely above minimum wage for tutors, most of whom have teaching licenses and sometimes graduate degrees. And they hide from p/t staff who have been there a long time with little or no raises that they are attracting new staff by paying them higher wages then the "veteran tutors". Place is badly mismanaged due to constant staff (and even management) turnover caused by low pay and inconsistent... policies that change as management changes. Too often tutors came only to find out their student had cancelled and overworked, overpressured management forgot to call and let them know. Now all of the NYC area "corporate owned" centers are being franchised which has caused even more chaos. Corporate greed requires many centers to be open on Sundays, but there is no management on Sundays, causing a lot of chaotic situations. Centers are often open about 2 hours later than they should be again due to 'greed', what happens is the center will often have just 2 students for the last 1-2 hours and if one of them cancels, the tutor of the cancelled student has to stay (with pay however) so that (per company rules) there are two adults present to close the center for the night. The fundamentals of how the company works are sound and if done right the business would be highly successful, however, overt greed and gross mismanagement has long poisoned the potential of this company.

Advice to Management

Pay people more, a lot more. If you can't afford to do that you can't afford to be in business any more than if you can't pay your office rent and you won't be successful or even ethical. Have consistent center policies. Don't ask employees to lie to parents and students about your greed and mistakes.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-07-03

"Good environment but poor employee protections"

Former Employee - Math Teacher

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexibility based on scheduling limitations

Cons

-Extremely low pay compared to independent market rate -Employees are only paid for time tutoring. If a student no-shows in the middle of a shift, that time was not paid

Advice to Management

Turnover is a company statistic and should be constantly monitored for improvement.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-04-11

"Good Short Term"

Current Employee - Office Assistant

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Friendly staff and great location

Cons

Low pay and little room for growth

Advice to Management

Give incentive to climb the ranks

Huntington Learning Centers2019-03-27

"They do not value employees, but it's good experience right out of college."

Former Employee - Head Teacher/SAT Tutor in Abington, PA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience with different teaching strategies and teaching in general, building relationships with the kids. This is a good job right out of college when you are searching for a FT position. This is also a good supplement to a FT position. However, you will absolutely not be able to survive on this salary alone. I would equate this job to a paid internship. You learn a lot and it prepares you for your career.

Cons

All about the money, do not value employees, low hours, low pay, high turnover, no time to build relationships with coworkers. Example-I worked there for over a year and I was out sick for a month to deal with a very serious health condition, which I communicated to them-no one, not one single person checked on me, and I was fired-although Darryl, the owner, refused to actually say I was fired and spun a whole... story about how I was "invited back to reapply" because he did not want to pay unemployment. I was even told by the manager Morgan during one of my head teacher training sessions that Darryl didn't like to pay unemployment. This is ILLEGAL. Luckily, I found a FT school teaching position not even a month later, so I guess it was a blessing in disguise.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees. I honestly think the whole system needs restructuring to avoid the high turnover.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-02-10
  10. "Great place to start!"

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Tutor in Orchard Park, NY

Pros

flexible hours, considerate staff, friendly kids/co-workers

Cons

low pay, no room for moving up.

Huntington Learning Centers2018-12-21