Huntington Learning Centers "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington Learning Centers Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Nov 24, 2019

3.2
Huntington Learning Centers CEO  Eileen Huntington (no image)
Eileen Huntington
Pros
Cons
  • "Extremely low pay compared to independent market rate(in 61 reviews)

• "Not always part time, more like quarter time(in 42 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to teach"

Current Employee - Exam Prep Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Wonderful students. Supportive staff. Great training. Paid training.

Cons

No benefits because all teachers are part time.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-09-19
  2. "Great Opportunity to have the opportunity to see kids dreams come to reality!"

Former Employee - Director in Pearland, TX

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Huntington is the place were kids' fears are overcome. They learn they can do anything when they put worth effort and the right teacher. Huntington's academic program is easy to manage, line upon line and give excellent results-- when followed. As with anything when teachers vary too much from the curriculum and or program the students suffer.

Cons

Truly, the "ONLY" negative.... the days/hours the center is open. A Tutorial Center is open during the hours kids are out of school. This means for teachers and staff working nights and weekends. The part-time staff it's great. They can work as much or as little as they want. Full-time staff, after a while its becomes difficult.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-11-24

"Not worth the pain"

Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with students and helping them learn

Cons

Cons are literally every other part of the job: the franchisee owner doesn't let you work over 36 hours so they can keep you at part time, they constantly change your job description and give you duties that have nothing to do with your job so they can take more off their own plate, all while grossly underpaying you and giving absolutely 0 benefits. The most stressful and toxic work environment i have ever been a part of.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-11-23

Huntington Learning Centers Response

November 25, 2019Vice President of Finance

We are sincerely disappointed to hear about your experience. If there is any additional and specific feedback to provide, please contact our corporate representative at HawkinsDS@hlcmail.com.

4. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Tutor in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule. Work within your realm of knowledge.

Cons

Not always part time, more like quarter time.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-08-14
  5. "A great opportunity for part time work as a teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

The ability and independence to set one's on schedule constitute a great advantage for an extra source of income as part time work.

Cons

One's schedule and projected income can be affected by students attendance.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-07-10

"The Problem Is the Profit Motive"

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Any pros were due entirely to the individuals who work in center. Teaching staff, esp those with advanced degrees, were generally able to adjust teaching styles and outdated curricula as needed to ensure students benefited from programs. Full-time staff worked hard and with the best intentions. The work environment was mostly positive, though would have been better if full-time staff members weren't each burdened with the workload of 2-3 employees, and if part-time staff had more consistent schedules and fair compensation. (Overworked and devalued employees are unhappy employees.) These benefits alone would be enough to bump my review to 2 or even 3 stars, but this review is for the company, not the staff, and...

Cons

Cons were due largely to the company itself. The profit motive is supposed to keep the customer happy by encouraging HLC to provide the best product possible ("give each student the best education possible," to quote the mission statement). In reality, it results in a worse product. Here are a few examples: 1. Pay for tutors is insultingly low. Most applicants who accept a tutoring position (and many decline, btw) do so while continuing to look for better-paying, more consistent work. Raises are few and far between and the scheduling inconsistent (10 hours one week, 4 the next), leaving tutors little incentive to stay even if they enjoy the work. This leads to high turnover, which leads to a lack of consistency for students. A student may bond and progress well with a specific tutor, only to have that tutor leave a third of the way through their program. The student ends up with a revolving door of tutors who have varying teaching styles and personalities, not all of which are conducive to their academic development. And while centers do retain some good tutors (mostly retirees who just want a side gig and don't rely on the income to live), the best ones usually leave as soon as they can. 2. HLC continues to use extremely outdated curricula (every reading passage about computers is unintentionally hilarious) because updating it would cost too much money. A good tutor can generally work with what they're given, but what they're given is still embarrassingly out-of-date and often contains inaccurate and, in some cases, offensive information. (Tutors: If the passage is about indigenous peoples, it's best to just skip it.) 3. HLC wants student programs to be as long, and therefore profitable, as possible. To make this happen, they start students with a grueling series of tests and interpret the results to make the students look further behind than they are. Then they design programs that place students in curricula far below their abilities, ostensibly to build "confidence." Sometimes the student does need to build confidence, but not for 30 hours, and on the parents' end, shelling out, say, $1500 for work their child never needed is just not a good investment. If HLC were a non-profit, the "product" would be better. The academic improvements I saw in many students when I worked at HLC were not the result of company policy or the HLC program, but of talented staff who cared about students and knew how to make the best of inadequate resources. Full-time staff have the option of either cognitive dissonancing themselves out of the moral quandaries HLC creates and throwing themselves wholeheartedly into the cult, or quietly disregarding the worst parts of company policy while continuing to seek better, more fulfilling work. During my time at the company, I saw both.

Huntington Learning Centers2019-05-28
  7. "Overall"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Good for minimum part time

Cons

Not many hours given per week

Huntington Learning Centers2019-03-19

"Good for students, bad for employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros

The program does help students to significantly increase their scores.

Cons

I never saw this as a part time teacher but As the assistant director my boss and the owner treated me horribly (parent and child) to the point where I nearly quit on the spot every day for 2 weeks. I wasn’t given the training I was promised and was chastised for not knowing everything about the company within the first several months. My boss made mistakes and blamed them on me. They said terrible things about teachers and students behind their backs. they kept asking me to schedule teachers outside of their availability regularly because of over enrollment. They also paid me incorrectly and insist that what they did was in line with wage and hour laws. There have been about 6 AD’s at this franchise in the past 2 or 3 years according to my boss. They started telling me about previous people who they fired on my first day. This was not a healthy work environment

Huntington Learning Centers2018-11-30
  9. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oradell, NJ

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company was a great place for a part time tutoring job. It was very organized when it came to scheduling students and receiving your paychecks. I also enjoyed the people who were there.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Huntington Learning Centers2018-05-22
  10. "Math Tutor/ACT/SAT Prep"

Math Tutor in Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding seeing kids achieve their target scores or grades. Pay is good for part-time. Great work environment and culture.

Cons

Cancellations from student can be an inconvenience and certain rules about pay when it comes to cancellations.

Huntington Learning Centers2018-01-30