Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • smaller organization, work life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits all around like most banks (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 50 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 32 reviews)

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Risk
    Current Employee - Risk

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, with opportunities to work at home and work around doctor's appointments, etc.

Cons

- pay is not competitive and discussions about compensation are taboo
    - Healthcare is extremely expensive considering the size of the company
    - High turnover everywhere
    - High performing employees are not valued, and poor performing employees are allowed to skate by

Advice to Management

- pay employees what they are worth
    - increase transparency around compensation and company direction in general
    - if you are going to talk the talk about Huntington being an extraordinary company than you need to walk the walk and that starts with valuing your employees.

"Enjoy chaos? You'll love it here"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary was competitive. Good branch training. Things change by the hour the company is in chaos since it became Meriton Bank.

Cons

Incentive plan is a joke, goals are unrealistic and health insurance is the worst I've ever seen. Management style is borderline abusive.

Advice to Management

Get in the Delorean and go back in time and skip the First Merit ACQUISITION. The company is spiraling post acquisition.

3. "No go"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Akron, OH

Pros

Not much. I don't see Very many pros being an employee.

They are trying to do good but are falling short

Cons

Bad structure, insane deadlines, not helpful coworkers.

Expect unreasonable work hours, and very demanding dead lines. Fail to help train newer people and make them fend for themselves.

4. "Mediocre"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very community driven company with over 2000 employee's logging over 20,000 volunteer hours. The company's envolvment with Pelotonia (cancer research fund raising bike ride) is phenominal.

Cons

They use a "self-funded" insurance plan that is a complete failure. You earn upto $750 for employee and spouse (1500 tot) if you both complete a variety of welness challenges. The best plan has a $3,000 ann ded that must be met BEFORE your insurance coveres 80%...that $3,000 is ontop of the several hundreds of dollars in payroll deductions just to have the policy...unless you go to the dr for every sniffle, sneeze, and cough...its a total waste of your money as you will not get the value out of it you are paying for. I opted for the lesser plan...couple hundred every check but I have a $13,000 ann ded then they cover 100%. Then there is the Rx coverage which if you have a kid on adhd meds...you will be broke...FAST

Advice to Management

Fix this!! Listen to your people. When a townhall comes up and you ask for questions to be submitted...you always get asked "will we be getting normal insurance again". COME ON...TALE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!

5. "Long term employee"

Current Employee - Teller and Relationship Banker II
    Current Employee - Teller and Relationship Banker II

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits. If you are in the right district, can be a long term career. I wish I had more pros.

Cons

I have worked for the company for over 8 years. I was promoted from teller to personal banker. Succeeded for 3 years in my role. Then, I Experienced the worst management I have ever witnessed in all of my time of having any job, during the last 2 years. My performance declined while working under this manager. Very unprofessional, zero respect for women, honestly a pig. Tried playing it off that he was always joking. I don't get offended easily, but this one was bad news. Tried bringing this to district manager and hrs attention. Did not get me anywhere. In fact, I got demoted back to teller.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees history. If someone is declining in performance and attendance while previously consistently meeting and exceeding their goals, dig deeper! Now that manager is gone due to true colors of him finally showing. I still am a teller, receiving $3.50 less than I was, AND training my current manager, and banker on how to do my old job because they are new to the company. Was brought again, to district managers attention that I am over qualified for a teller position. Still nothing done. Sticking to the very lose guideline that you have to stay in a position for at least a year. I'm not new to the rodeo and have seen this "guideline" have several exceptions...I will be leaving this company. Very sad, at one time I thought I would retire from Huntington.

"Someone please stop this before Huntington ends up like Wells Fargo!"

Current Employee - Branch Relationship Banker in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Branch Relationship Banker in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huntington offers a competitive base salary.

Cons

I have worked for Huntington for over 7 years. There was a time when I felt I would never leave the company, now I am actively looking elsewhere. The pressure to meet unrealistic goals is horrible, we are strong armed, spoken to like children and treated poorly. I have personally been sick more in the last few years due to management putting undue stress on me then I ever have in my life. I was a manager and demoted to a banker when my branch was performing over 100% YTD. HR does nothing when you call them about concerns. Huntington does not care about its employees just its bottom line.

Advice to Management

Check your managers and district managers. Pushing some of your great employees out the door. Everytime the district manager visits the branch someone ends up in tears. It's ridiculous!

"HNB Employee"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement within company.

Cons

Constant understaffing makes for a difficult work environment.

Advice to Management

Hire quality, not quantity.

8. "Teller"

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

I like the color green.

Cons

This is the worst bank I have ever worked at.!

Advice to Management

You need to know your employees and not have the substandard ones in the managing positions.

"Personal banker"

Pros

I liked my fellow personal bankers and our customers.

Cons

the management there was absolutely horrible. And Huntington as a whole is a really frustrating place to work. They set in possible goals so they don't have to pay you on the accounts and loans that you open. They are so disorganized and contradictory. It's hard to learn the rules and abide by them because you are constantly told two opposing things.

Advice to Management

Stop working there. You are terrible.

10. "Mtg loan Coordinator"

Pros

The people you work with are great

Cons

No work life balance at all