Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 54 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 35 reviews)

1. "Branch Manager/ Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huntington offers 24 hr grace and 7 days a week banking (which is a great selling point for customers). No other bank in America can touch that. The computer systems are state of the art and easy to use. The (salary) pay is decent and competitive in the market.

Cons

UPPER MANAGEMENT SUCKS IN ALL ASPECTS! I worked for SEVERAL different DMs, and they were all the same- in it for themselves.
    They did not/do not have the employee's best interest at heart. Huntington rarely promotes from within. It is all about who you know. HR is horrible too. If you like having time with your family or a social life, this is NOT the place to work.

Advice to Management

Hmmm... Advice to management: get educated on how to "be human" and actually care about your colleagues. Huntington has a HUGE turn over rate because you do NOT show appreciation and the employees that do work hard are burnt out!

2. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Huntington National Bank as a contractor

Pros

Great Location, great cafeteria

Cons

It is literally like a sweat shop. Everyone is extremely over worked and not appreciated at all. Upper Management uses intimidation and fear. Turnover is high. This is a VERY toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Clean up your management team. You have some that are bullies and others who are way in over their heads and cannot handle their positions. Stop allowing your senior leaders to hire their buddies who are not qualified for their positions.

3. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Advisor in Elida, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Advisor in Elida, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with used to have a great relationship with immediate and senior management but not the case any longer

Cons

If you believe in Mr Branson’s saying of its not the customer but your employees who come first then Huntington is not for you particularly Huntington Investment company where every disgruntled customer is a complaint whether the complaint has merit or it doesn’t and these “ complaints” are tracked.. if you want to keep a clean U4/5 not the place to be.. Management is not trustworthy and definitely will not look out for you

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees 84% unsatisfied should be telling you that your not doing something right shouldn’t it?

4. "Poor"

Pros

Money is decent but meh.

Cons

Environment is not good sadly.

"Vice President"

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with my customers and my time away from here

Cons

Micro managing, they love to make you feel very bad about yourself no positive interactions always negative

Advice to Management

Leave us alone we know are job

6. "What a Joke!"

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pto, holidays and banker hours. Classroom training is good but don't expect to learn anything from your manager. 401k is decent.

Cons

The pay scale is a joke...incentives are hard to hit especially if you're in the ghetto....they micro-manage to the extreme and will blame you for the branch not succeeding. If you are used to making good money, don't come here. They hire managers that shouldn't even be managing a piggy bank and expect you to turn water into wine.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that know what they are doing and hold them accountable for failing. Know when to shut down branches that don't belong in a certain areas (ghetto) and don't expect employees to do relationship plans with crack heads that have 5 dollars in their account and expect them to sell credit cards etc etc...

7. "Understaffed, stressful job"

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers have a camaraderie and help each other.

Cons

We were the busiest branch in town and always had big lines, yet management never approved additional tellers.

Viewed as a machine, now a human.

Advice to Management

Value your people

8. "Mortgage"

Former Contractor - Mortgage Loan Closing Coordinator in Worthington, OH
    Former Contractor - Mortgage Loan Closing Coordinator in Worthington, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very self directed position. Excellent coworkers.

Cons

It was supposed to be 6 month to permanent position; They kept back-peddling. I was there almost two years before leaving with no benefits, PTO, etc.

Advice to Management

Please be honest with contractors on your motives and plans.

9. "As poor of a conversion as you could imagine. Would love to say I don't understand why commercial account are fleeing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Match 401(k), a little profit sharing, marginally better medical coverage.

Cons

Silos between every department that restrict any real forward movement.

Advice to Management

You bought a more commercial focused bank, listen to them when you want to attract commercial account.

"Chaos Sailing In A Sea of Uncertainty"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros were my piers. The people who work alongside of me were the best. These were single moms, fathers and individuals working two other jobs at a time. My peers are friendly and professional and did your best with very little support from management.

Cons

In my interview they promised me a state of the art training facility. What we all got in training was a windowless room in the basement with poor ventilation and manila paper taped to the wall for projection screen, a lap top with a cheap projector propped up with books.

In the interview they promised me tremendous benefits, wonderful training great chances for advancement, tremendous pay and work environment etc. etc.

My interview was in May 2017. My interviewer said they would be adding more call center reps by August 2017 and we would be up to 400 CSR's by then. We were going to be the largest call center of all three.

What I received were lousy benefits with a high premium a massive deductible. They misled us about being paid a shift differential for 2nd shift...it turns out that 2nd shift doesn't start at 3pm but at 5pm. So, I was paid a standard rate of pay from 3pm to 5pm. Shift differential didn't kick in until 5pm which lowered my overall hourly pay averaged out over 8 hours.

Training was truly only a few days and we were thrown into the phones. Three days isn't long enough to learn your A,B,C's so how do they expect call center customer service reps to learn 20 systems and all the bank products in three days when it took took the trainer 30 years to learn everything? Complete madness.

After 60 days in the phones our call volume jumped from 20 customers in que to 160 with a hold time of one hour which is insane in the call center industry. When I asked my "supervisor " why she said, "Oh! Well, um we have a lot of people out on vacation and Oh, they closed the call center in Holland, Michigan. "
    So after 60 days as an employee they closed one call center and laid off 129 people.

Then all of a sudden important support departments that we would call for questions about customer loans and another Dept. We called just to get help with general questions we didn't know the answer to were shut down until further notice.

Then one day our floor "supervisors" started to refuse to take escalated calls. That's when a customer gets so upset that they ask for your supervisor. One time I asked my "supervisor " to take a call and she said, and I quote, "I am sorry. I am not taking another supervisor call. If I do I am afrai I will say something that I will regret . You're going to have to handle it yourself. I was dumbfounded. In all my professional "career" I have never heard someone openly neglect their duties and refuse to do their job. Ever. Not once but a Huntington they do and they did.

One day I got called off the floor and into a training class. We were told that we had to learn how to sign customers into Online Banking. You know, help people create user ID's and passwords so they could do banking through huntington.com. The trainer said it was easy and her sales pitch was, "It's actually going to reduce your talk time." Oh come on! I had one call with an elderly gentleman who had a man iphone and the call lasted an hour because he didn't know how to operate his phone and his vision was bad. My talk time for that day alone was more than twice what it should have been.

People in my training class got promoted six weeks after getting out of training. My "supervisor " became supervisor a few months after being in the job and had no, "0" supervisory experience. Not even a college degree. So, if you're inexperienced I guess you can get promoted but they are putting people into positions of authority who have no right to have been out there.

Advice to Management

My God. Did any of you at the top of this organization put any thought at all into your call center before you merged with First Merit? It's almost as if it was an afterthought.
    My advice? Think about your employees and customers not your bottom line.