Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 54 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 34 reviews)

"If you like banking here, don’t get a job here"

Current Employee - Collector in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Collector in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really the only positive thing I have to say about Huntington is the pay. The base pay is relatively competitive and it’s better than average for the industry. Even then, the incentive bonuses aren’t awesome and meeting the criteria to even qualify for them isn’t worth it, it makes you daily job miserable.

Cons

There is a wealth of misinformation circulating in headquarters and little to no action is ever taken to mitigate it. People tell customers one thing and say another the next time they talk, management has conflicting answers, no one knows what is going on in any department. It’s been acknowledged more than once since I’ve been hired but no one has mentioned implementing anything to stop it.

Most of the decisions that are made on a company-wide scale only benefit the board of directors, to a ridiculous degree. They’re so out of touch with their company it is insane. There aren’t even enough parking places at my center to fit how many employees work there. The software that we use is older than I am, it crashes on a daily basis. The building we’re in is a remodeled grocery store, and it’s also a call center. There are virtually no walls in the building and it’s about three stories tall, you can imagine how the sound carries. Your desks are about two feet apart, it’s extremely difficult to take any calls while you can hear the entire building around you. I could go on.

They’ll tell you that once you hit a certain time period after working there that you are eligible to post to another internal position, provided you’re performing at par with your current position. This only happens if your manager really likes you.

The only food available on-site is ice cream, pop, chips or candy and the gym is more expensive than one with better equipment off-site. There are many “amenities” offered but few, of any of them are what they’re said to be, or beneficial at all.

They took over another bank, First Merit, a few months ago. The clients who were previously with first merit are understandably frustrated with Huntington’s customer service and we call them during their grace period on a daily basis until they make their payment. Why even bother giving a grace period?
    They were given a survey of their opinion on Huntington, it came back overwhelmingly negative, and no changes have been made. No one seems to care.

Honestly I’ve worked for several financial companies along the same lines and this is my least favorite. They’re horrible about telling you what you want to hear to get you hired, or to keep you working there, without following through. It’s good for the money but the hours are awful and the so is the day-to-day job, along with a culture of apathy and laziness.

Advice to Management

2 major things:

1.) update your software, that is literally the single most important tool your collectors have to use and it barely works. I think that speaks for itself.

2.) I understand the call quality guidelines are somewhat controlled by the investors of the loans we Service... but not all of them are. Make sure those call quality guidelines are ACTUALLY there for a purpose and that your agents really understand what they are. Otherwise they just upset the client and make the employees job harder for no reason.

2. "Teller"

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good if you like sales and like being pushy with your customers.Hours and holidays off are only plus.

Cons

Very poor management.All they know how to do is cut down their employees.Always end up shorthanded.

"Much improvement needed"

Former Employee - Relationship Sales
    Former Employee - Relationship Sales

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay but not great for what is expected and required.

Cons

Extremely poor training, the trainers are great but the information given is way too limited. Leaves employee feeling very lost. Also, the online banking security procedures are far to complicated for the customer base that is much older and versed in computer/cellphone technology. Very very stressful job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!!! They're the ones working with the customers day in and day out. If they're telling you that a particular practice is causing the customers major confusion and frustration work to change it! Don't just say Oh it's for their protection and ignore it. That's a great way to protect them into leaving all the way to another bank that will understand them and their needs better.

4. "Senior Credit Underwriter"

Pros

Great at Small Business Adminstration lending

Cons

There is no sense of loyalty for long term employees.

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits , if you are desperate!

Cons

Chintzy, don't promote within company

Advice to Management

So much for the so called Inclusion! Call it Exclusion.

6. "Not Employee Friendly"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Good pay scale and benefits

Cons

Hard to work with scheduling, very high expectations for the areas populations.

Advice to Management

be more about the employees

7. "Credit Analyst"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Nice people that will train you.

Cons

Hard to progress in your career.

8. "Shut down a call center"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

It's a job. Decent paying call center

Cons

July 2017 they shut down an entire call center and centralized back to Ohio.

Advice to Management

Stop treating us like crap and your turn-over will improve.

9. "Not very fun"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, I work in a very nice building

Cons

No work/life balance, horrible communication, no personal freedom.

Advice to Management

Work on communication.

10. "Banker I"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Good training program. Some coworkers were friendly others were not.

Cons

The position I was hired for is part banker part teller. At the time of hire seems like it was doable, but as I was in the job I realize you could not do one of the jobs well because you were torn between two jobs. Goals at some of the branches are unrealistic and hard to reach. Upper management did not take any interest in training you. They figured you knew it all at training and they just put you in the position and you're supposed to run with it. Stress level is high. Call nights are when you would stay after 5 o'clock to make calls to sell to potential leads. What a joke! Very few responses, lots of voicemails, and sometimes you even got hung up on and yelled at because people didn't want to be bothered. Health insurance plan needs to be revamped it's not great!

Advice to Management

You focus on customer service which is good. Sometimes the way you go about it isn't always the best. Take time to get to know your employees, we are not just a number and each individual is different. Restructure sales goals to be reasonable and obtainable.