Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • smaller organization, work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits all around like most banks (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 52 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 34 reviews)

1. "Credit Analyst"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Nice people that will train you.

Cons

Hard to progress in your career.

2. "Shut down a call center"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

It's a job. Decent paying call center

Cons

July 2017 they shut down an entire call center and centralized back to Ohio.

Advice to Management

Stop treating us like crap and your turn-over will improve.

3. "Not very fun"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, I work in a very nice building

Cons

No work/life balance, horrible communication, no personal freedom.

Advice to Management

Work on communication.

4. "Banker I"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Good training program. Some coworkers were friendly others were not.

Cons

The position I was hired for is part banker part teller. At the time of hire seems like it was doable, but as I was in the job I realize you could not do one of the jobs well because you were torn between two jobs. Goals at some of the branches are unrealistic and hard to reach. Upper management did not take any interest in training you. They figured you knew it all at training and they just put you in the position and you're supposed to run with it. Stress level is high. Call nights are when you would stay after 5 o'clock to make calls to sell to potential leads. What a joke! Very few responses, lots of voicemails, and sometimes you even got hung up on and yelled at because people didn't want to be bothered. Health insurance plan needs to be revamped it's not great!

Advice to Management

You focus on customer service which is good. Sometimes the way you go about it isn't always the best. Take time to get to know your employees, we are not just a number and each individual is different. Restructure sales goals to be reasonable and obtainable.

5. "Frustration level high low reward factor of my personal experience"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

large racial back on the acquisition through

Cons

The first ration level appears to be very high and that was my own personal experience

Advice to Management

manage to common sense if it were your own bank

6. "Training vs. Real Life not at all similar"

Pros

They seem to give young fresh out of college workers a chance, which is very difficult to find at some companies.

Cons

During my 5 months at Huntington Bank as a Personal Banker, I received excellent training at multiple branches throughout our region. I was, however, hired into an in-store branch role. My training vs the actual job once the branch was open was the difference in daylight and dark. Most of the training that i received at regular branch locations did not help in the least once we got to our in-store location. The expectation was to bother people as they were shopping for their groceries to get them to open a bank account. Huntington required us employees to get phone numbers to repeatedly call and nag the customers that we spoke with. I don't know about you, but when i am out buying my necessity items- i simply want to get in and get back out. I don't want to be hassled about opening a bank account. Not a good atmosphere and a false sense of what to expect was presented to me during my training.

Advice to Management

I very much hope that you have changed your strategy when it comes to the in-store Huntington locations training and the way they are run. I personally know that it does not work, and you are not going to be able to retain employees continuing in that fashion.

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Risk
    Current Employee - Risk

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, with opportunities to work at home and work around doctor's appointments, etc.

Cons

- pay is not competitive and discussions about compensation are taboo
    - Healthcare is extremely expensive considering the size of the company
    - High turnover everywhere
    - High performing employees are not valued, and poor performing employees are allowed to skate by

Advice to Management

- pay employees what they are worth
    - increase transparency around compensation and company direction in general
    - if you are going to talk the talk about Huntington being an extraordinary company than you need to walk the walk and that starts with valuing your employees.

"USED to be a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Bank Officer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Bank Officer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Most employees are truly top-notch people - really care about customers and other employees
    -Serious customer focus
    -Long history of the company
    -At one point, Huntington was a great community leader and could get that back again.
    -Because so many employees are great people, the jerks really stand out - however, they are allowed to stay for too long.
    -Pay is excellent.

Cons

-There are too many incompetent leaders - they must have compromising pictures of someone. Many don't have a college degree, which creates insecurity and backbiting.
    -HR is a joke without a punchline. They are constantly 'reorganizing', which they think passes for actual work. There is no vision or leadership in HR.
    -There are different standards for different employees. Higher up people can make racist comments and get away with it. (See above about HR being a joke.)
    -You don't want to be over 50 years old and working here - they will get rid of you.
    -Leaders are known to simply throw temper tantrums to get their way. Ruling by intimidation is not leadership.
    -Biggest challenge is complete lack of planning. The CEO demands something and everyone scrambles to do it - work/life balance is out the window. The culture has changed greatly in the last 15 years and not for the better.
    -They find out who wrote what on the annual employee survey - please don't provide them with 'candid feedback' if it's negative because you'll have a target on your back.

Advice to Management

-Having 'Business Resource Groups' does NOT make you 'diverse' or 'inclusive'. Your leadership looks and more importantly, acts, the same.
    -Columbus is a small town in many ways and your reputation as an employer is not good. You have a chance to turn this around but it will take more than a task force or committees with endless meetings.
    -Leadership starts at the top.
    -When top leaders have affairs with employees, it gets around pretty fast. Clean up your house and apply the same standards to everyone.

"Enjoy chaos? You'll love it here"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary was competitive. Good branch training. Things change by the hour the company is in chaos since it became Meriton Bank.

Cons

Incentive plan is a joke, goals are unrealistic and health insurance is the worst I've ever seen. Management style is borderline abusive.

Advice to Management

Get in the Delorean and go back in time and skip the First Merit ACQUISITION. The company is spiraling post acquisition.

"Meh"

Pros

They were nice at first

Cons

Very clique, mean people. Ugh