Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington National Bank Reviews

Updated October 12, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • smaller organization, work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits all around like most banks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 54 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 34 reviews)

1. "Training vs. Real Life not at all similar"

Pros

They seem to give young fresh out of college workers a chance, which is very difficult to find at some companies.

Cons

During my 5 months at Huntington Bank as a Personal Banker, I received excellent training at multiple branches throughout our region. I was, however, hired into an in-store branch role. My training vs the actual job once the branch was open was the difference in daylight and dark. Most of the training that i received at regular branch locations did not help in the least once we got to our in-store location. The expectation was to bother people as they were shopping for their groceries to get them to open a bank account. Huntington required us employees to get phone numbers to repeatedly call and nag the customers that we spoke with. I don't know about you, but when i am out buying my necessity items- i simply want to get in and get back out. I don't want to be hassled about opening a bank account. Not a good atmosphere and a false sense of what to expect was presented to me during my training.

Advice to Management

I very much hope that you have changed your strategy when it comes to the in-store Huntington locations training and the way they are run. I personally know that it does not work, and you are not going to be able to retain employees continuing in that fashion.

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Risk
    Current Employee - Risk

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, with opportunities to work at home and work around doctor's appointments, etc.

Cons

- pay is not competitive and discussions about compensation are taboo
    - Healthcare is extremely expensive considering the size of the company
    - High turnover everywhere
    - High performing employees are not valued, and poor performing employees are allowed to skate by

Advice to Management

- pay employees what they are worth
    - increase transparency around compensation and company direction in general
    - if you are going to talk the talk about Huntington being an extraordinary company than you need to walk the walk and that starts with valuing your employees.

"USED to be a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Bank Officer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Bank Officer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Most employees are truly top-notch people - really care about customers and other employees
    -Serious customer focus
    -Long history of the company
    -At one point, Huntington was a great community leader and could get that back again.
    -Because so many employees are great people, the jerks really stand out - however, they are allowed to stay for too long.
    -Pay is excellent.

Cons

-There are too many incompetent leaders - they must have compromising pictures of someone. Many don't have a college degree, which creates insecurity and backbiting.
    -HR is a joke without a punchline. They are constantly 'reorganizing', which they think passes for actual work. There is no vision or leadership in HR.
    -There are different standards for different employees. Higher up people can make racist comments and get away with it. (See above about HR being a joke.)
    -You don't want to be over 50 years old and working here - they will get rid of you.
    -Leaders are known to simply throw temper tantrums to get their way. Ruling by intimidation is not leadership.
    -Biggest challenge is complete lack of planning. The CEO demands something and everyone scrambles to do it - work/life balance is out the window. The culture has changed greatly in the last 15 years and not for the better.
    -They find out who wrote what on the annual employee survey - please don't provide them with 'candid feedback' if it's negative because you'll have a target on your back.

Advice to Management

-Having 'Business Resource Groups' does NOT make you 'diverse' or 'inclusive'. Your leadership looks and more importantly, acts, the same.
    -Columbus is a small town in many ways and your reputation as an employer is not good. You have a chance to turn this around but it will take more than a task force or committees with endless meetings.
    -Leadership starts at the top.
    -When top leaders have affairs with employees, it gets around pretty fast. Clean up your house and apply the same standards to everyone.

"Enjoy chaos? You'll love it here"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary was competitive. Good branch training. Things change by the hour the company is in chaos since it became Meriton Bank.

Cons

Incentive plan is a joke, goals are unrealistic and health insurance is the worst I've ever seen. Management style is borderline abusive.

Advice to Management

Get in the Delorean and go back in time and skip the First Merit ACQUISITION. The company is spiraling post acquisition.

"Meh"

Pros

They were nice at first

Cons

Very clique, mean people. Ugh

6. "Loan officer"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Other employee are friendly. Good benefits. That is about all I can think of. As an organization as a whole I think it's a good company. The mortgage area is in need of help though.

Cons

Management does nothing more than try and get by day to day and not rock the boat internally. Absolutely does nothing to
    go the extra mile for the customer or its employees. Oh not unless it's a high wealth customer then they get a slightly better treatment. Management has no solid direction and in all honesty in the mortgage area are over their heads in regards to knowledge. The process is not organized and cumbersome and they generally allow underwriting to make their own rules. Always looking for a way to pay the LO's less money when the general direction of the industry is increase pay for preforming LO's. Which brings me to pay. One of the lowest comp plans in the industry. If you are an LO that needs to be feed referrals internally to survive then you make like the job. If you are a self starting LO with a book of business look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

First off clean house in the mortgage area in regards to management. Then force all management to watch Huntington commercials for 10 hours straight. Maybe then they will finally understand the customer comes first. When there are issues with the process that are affecting customers my god jump in and do what ever it takes to fix it whatever it is. It could be the process in general, an individual situation or an individual that needs addressing. Management goes out of their way to avoid all conflict or problems. They just want to hide behind a desk and burry their head in the sand instead of getting involved. This attitude goes right to the top of that department.

7. "Traditional Branch is where you want to be"

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Lincoln Park, MI
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Lincoln Park, MI

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to meet
    The reputation of the bank is wonderful many customers seem to love it
    Traditional branches have a lot more stability.
    Great for people who see themselves in sales

Cons

Instore has long hours with very high turnover.
    location is everything do your research on the area before applying.
    Management is bureaucratic sales focused and goals are the same even in low performing branches

Very hard to switch departments career growth is limited to department

Advice to Management

Listen to your bottom line employees especially your relationship bankers otherwise they will leave

8. "Would not recommend To work here"

Former Employee - Bsm in Rutland, OH
    Former Employee - Bsm in Rutland, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have nice pens, not anything I can say good about Huntington bank ! I worked there Two and a half. months, was treated poorly by upper Management

Cons

They say they want to be ethical, but due to the upper management , The upper management brags about being able to coach people out in one week!

Advice to Management

Hire ethical people for upper management

"I accepted a job offer...then they took it back. Poor Business"

Former Employee - Branch Relationship Banker I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Relationship Banker I in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Benefits
    Hours
    Salary

These were the only attractive aspects of the job

Cons

unprofessional handling of job offer. I was formally offered the position I had applied for. Upon discussing a start date I told them I could start any time. I wanted to let them know I had an upcoming vacation planned and provided the dates. I was told it really shouldn't be a problem because I could begin training and resume after.

They apparently needed to "Discuss it" among themselves first. The company dragged me on for 3 WEEKS EXACTLY- each time I called they hadn't made a decision yet- really? They had already made their decision when they offered me the job and then dragged this on for 3 whole weeks. Yet they were concerned about a 1 week vacation interrupting things? Completely contradictory, completely unprofessional.

I didn't even get a phone call or personalized explanation. I was sent a "stock" email that they just send out to all candidates they choose not to move forward with. I can't believe this behavior is acceptable in a professional company.

Advice to Management

Don't formally offer someone a job and go back on your word. I'm just lucky that I hadn't told my current employer yet or I'd be out on the street thanks to you guys.

10. "No go"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Akron, OH

Pros

Not much. I don't see Very many pros being an employee.

They are trying to do good but are falling short

Cons

Bad structure, insane deadlines, not helpful coworkers.

Expect unreasonable work hours, and very demanding dead lines. Fail to help train newer people and make them fend for themselves.