Huntington National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntington National Bank Reviews

Updated October 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • smaller organization, work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits all around like most banks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 54 reviews)

• Hiring upper management without banking or management experience does not make sense (in 34 reviews)

1. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brand is great; hard working colleagues; great customer service

Cons

Accountability, Policies, Procedures, Movement within Company

Advice to Management

None

"Branch Relationship Banker Tier I"

Current Employee - Personal Banker Senior in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker Senior in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have all of the ability to drive sales as, what used to be called an "In-store Personal Banker", had the ability to. You have the sales advantage of being able to preform all of the Teller job functions therefore being able to be on the Teller line to first hand interact with customers. You also possess the same TPS training and knowledge base as a Teller. Being a Branch Relationship Banker Tier I you're not considered an entry level colleague.

Cons

As a Branch Relationship Banker Tier I (BRBI), you get treated as you are lesser of a Banker than if you were a Tier III or IV. This is most likely because the Banker's revenue goals are what make up the Branches overall revenue goal and if you're a Relationship Banker Tier III or IV you have a much higher revenue goal than BRBI. So the Branch Managers run their BRBI much like a teller so much so they've even been known to ask BRBI's to refer the BRBIII or BRBIV their discovered sales opportunities.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that if your BRBIII or BRBIV is having trouble meeting their revenue goals then it's time implement a performance correction plan and review your leadership and coaching abilities. Rather than seeking to cap your BRBI potential in an effort to correct your BRBIII's or BRBIV's lackluster sales performance.

3. "Don't Become a Manager in the In-Store Enviroment"

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Paid Time Off, Base plus Sales Incentives, Health Benefits & Full Range of Financial Products to Sell

Cons

Salary is expected to work 50+ Hours, Opinions are not welcome, Follow your leadership no matter what, Everyone is always short staffed, Don't expect to actually work with other managers - Everyone is against each other. Unrealistic expectations of what should be done in a work day.

Advice to Management

Only work in the In-Store if you want to be a second class manager. Sales are the only measure of success. The Culture is horrible. Tons of Gray area- Different rules for different colleagues.

4. "Infrastructure Manager"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Began as a "hometown" company. Culture was good although changes were warranted to evolve. Some areas are well lead by Management.

Cons

Associates have been hired into positions that others are better qualified for. Trending toward the 'good 'ole boys club' in some areas. When issues with managers are reported, they get overlooked and no action taken.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to colleagues and take action. Surveys are geared towards direct managers and that is not always where the problems are.

5. "Good Company"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and training of product.

Cons

Upper Management needs to be more educated on products.

Advice to Management

Know what you're talking about before you criticize.

"Huntington WAS an amazing company"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots or room to advance
    Good culture about doing what is right for client
    Normally, really strong leaders who value colleague development.

Cons

Entire job families get eliminated-lots of mass layoffs
    Work life balance used to be important, now its non-existent
    A few bad managers ruined a great place to have a career.
    Health insurance is a joke if you ever have to use it.

Advice to Management

I am disappointment that after the First Merit merger, the leaders who were brought in were inadequate and ruined the culture we had. I don't know why that was allowed to happen. When you sit in your office in Columbus and come up with all these amazing ideas about goals, staffing, playbook etc, sometimes you forget how that impacts us little guys on the front line of retail.

7. "Loan Operations Specialist"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Decent benefits with high copays

Cons

No recognition for saving money

8. "A full review"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Terrific opportunity to learn information that will positively impact your finances.

Cons

You must understand that it's retail.

Advice to Management

It's important to note the conditions in which I left the place. I had no quarrels, I was liked by my team, I was a successful Banker, and I was in an affluent city.

On to the review...

Yes, you work at a bank, but no matter how you dress it up it's still a retail work environment. It's stressful, the hours aren't great (especially if you work in-store), management is weak, and the compensation is low compared to other banks in the industry.

It's not that I didn't appreciate my time working there because there's an abundance of real-world knowledge available to you and you would be well-served to learn as much as you can, but for anyone looking to get your foot in the door in hopes of a lengthy rewarding career, proceed with caution.

You must be malleable. The direction of the company seemed to change with the season. It's comparable to Ohio weather. One day it's snowing the next it's 80. Nobody at the top knows what they want and whether they mean to or not, they do a poor job of hiding the misguidance.

I knew bankers that stayed in their role for 20 years, I knew bankers that went from a teller to a Branch Manager, and I knew bankers that either quit or asked to be demoted to a teller. My point is that most of the time your success and overall satisfaction with the job comes down to a few things: Likability, location, management, and resume.

Brown nosing went a long way at my location and although a little is fine, there was far too much to stomach where I worked. If you're going to stay find a balance. I hate the expression, but sippin' the Kool-Aid is the best way to describe the dozens of colleagues I met.

If you get stuck at an in-store hope for two things: High volume transactions and distance from the closest traditional branch.
    You can easily get the short end of the stick if you work close to a traditional branch. I worked very close to a traditional branch and customers saw us as a check cashing and complaint pop-up shop.
    The real business was done at the "real branch".

Management won't necessarily make or break you, but it can easily make your time at Huntington less than ideal. I was unfortunate to have a manager that resigned himself to his only to let the assistant manager run the morale into the ground. The dynamics were complicated. The demands weren't unreasonable, but the way the demands of the job were conveyed was poor to say the least.

Lastly, I listed resume because if you have a college degree, or a marketable set of skills, there really isn't a reason to stay in retail banking.

It's very much a dead end in my opinion, but I would relent and say it's a very steep hill to climb for such little reward, compensation, and prestige.

Everyone should work at a bank at some point in their life, but you would do well to stay only as long as you need to.

9. "HNB"

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always work to due in this industry

Cons

Location has traffic issues getting to and from location.

10. "System Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues! Management acknowledges your contributions to the company in the quarterly meetings.

Cons

Lots of meetings that go nowhere and disconnects with communications.