Huntsman Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

Huntsman Corp President, CEO, and Director Peter R. Huntsman
Peter R. Huntsman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Horrible working environment with backstabbing, toxic people and incompetent leadership in middle-management (in 7 reviews)

• The Customer Service team lacks communication and a real team feeling (in 4 reviews)

1. "Reliability Engineer"

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Huntsman Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location close to Woodlands.

Cons

Poor local management. Good ole boy network.

Advice to Management

Empower people to improve.

2. "Customer Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Huntsman Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teammates were great. But they are disappointed too.

Cons

They do not have a high level of customer service. Not willing to improve.

Advice to Management

Higher inexperienced people to train as robots.

"Legal Dept."

Former Employee - Legal Department in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Department in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Huntsman Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance and some of the people. I was never made to feel guilty for taking my vacation days.

Cons

Cliques and those who will step on you on their way up the ladder. Some, once promoted, will no longer talk to you because you aren't important enough. Yes, those are the ones who get promoted.

Extremely outdated software and there are so many filters on the internet, I couldn't do my job. I had to log on to some websites using my own tablet because I couldn't see pictures or video on my work computer. After several years of trying to communicate this to IT, I gave up.

Huntsman is behind the times. They don't allow any employees to work remotely and we couldn't even wear jeans on Friday. Huntsman needs to enter the 21st century and offer more work options, like a 4/10 schedule. The guys still have to wear ties.

Accounts payable is outsourced. I had 2 vendors cut me off because we weren't paying our bills on time. This made it very difficult to do my job as well. Bring those jobs back to the U.S. When we'd call for help to ask why something hadn't been paid, we couldn't understand what they were saying.

Advice to Management

It's 2017, just in case you hadn't noticed. Huntsman needs to get with the times and stop treating your employees like they are babies. You don't have to block ALL photos from the internet. We're not ALL bad people, so don't treat us that way. Oh, and denim jeans aren't evil, good grief.

"Doldrums"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Wenham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Wenham, MA

I worked at Huntsman Corp (More than a year)

Pros

Has some good points but overall morale is low because nothing positive is happening. Share price has fallen more than their peers due mostly to a bad situation with pigments.

Cons

Top level management seems to be focused on how to solve problems in their TiO2 businesses. The rest of the company is doing fine but not moving forwards.

Advice to Management

Spin off the TiO2 business at any cost and get the other divisions back on track asap. Invest more in developing new technology.

5. "Sr. Software Engineer"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Huntsman Corp as a contractor

Pros

Good environment, coworkers, building and location

Cons

Need to be more organized, they could probably increase their revenue by 40% if they established an organized PMO Dept. And force all managers to follow methods for optimization. Otherwise the stress levels are tremendous and people are not happy, and stress leads to being overweight and low immune system, just look around and you will verify these effects on people.

"A terrible environment in customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Huntsman Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a well known company in the field, and that's all.

Cons

There is much back-stabbing or position fighting. The pay is below average minus not having a bonus structure. There is little opportunity for advancement.

The environment is terrible, with managers that lack any experience in the field. Worse, human resources don't even protect employees from the misgivings in customer service. There is no one that will listen, so these terrible managers behave like queens.

I don't understand why anyone would work for Huntsman versus any other petrochemical company. But the biggest turn off is that Huntsman does not seem be interested in identifying and retaining the right talent.

Advice to Management

Competitive organizations don't pay bargain bin salaries if they want to retain quality employees. Focus more on long-term company goals and growth than playing children games to manage performance.

"Needs to be more open"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Huntsman is an exciting environment becase things are often changing through divestment, acquisition, etc. It's also an international environment with opportunity to work with people all over the world, particularly Europe, England, China, Singapore, Australia, etc. Many of the products Huntsman makes are market leaders, and the company is in some good business sectors with impressive growth rates. Huntsman has taken tough decisions in the past about its future, and the Huntsman family seems genuinely committed to doing the best thing for the busienss, the shareholders, and yes maybe even for the employees. Huntsman is a large comopany which in theory offers opportunity to move between departments.

Cons

In some of the functions there is little or no communication from C-level and director level to managers about strategy, plans, etc. This becomes particularly apparent at times of stress, e.g. resource cutbacks, when it becomes difficult to know exactly where to focus efforts in order to get the best outcome. Promotions often given based on personal relationship rather than best person for job and career opportunities are not well advertized internally. In some functions there is a high reliance on external consultancy, which is perceived by employees to be expensive and not at all value adding. Some businesses are run in a very command-and-control style, with little involvement of staff in decision making.

Advice to Management

Talk more to your staff, listen more to your staff, trust your staff more. Be more transparent in career opportunities.

8. "Administrative"

Pros

Nice group to work with on a daily basis

Cons

Work load heavy at times.

9. "Sr Maintenance Engineer"

I have been working at Huntsman Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good teamwork in the field, with operators and millwirghts.
    - End users want equipment to run so they provide good feedback once they sense you want to help them.
    - Work environment is acceptable, no unnecessary stress (at least in my position)

Cons

- No formal training provided. Engineer has to learn on his own and from others if they are willing to share.

Advice to Management

Company will lose good engineers who are looking for advancement and growth.

"Horrible Company Integration"

Pros

Exceptional safety programs and operational excellence systems.

Cons

Integration of a newly acquired company was horrible. Announcement that nearly 200 people were to be released but details would be coming in 3 months, then it was 6 months ... then they wondered why safety performance dropped when employees didn't know what their status was for almost a year.

Then released a huge number of individual with a wealth of business knowledge and they are now struggling and the bottom line and the treatment of the customers shows it.

Advice to Management

Practice the core values you push. I find that companies that have their values plastered on every wall in every building are just paying lip service to them rather than practicing them.