Huron Consulting Group Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • There is a respect for work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Huron has great people and a positive, fun working environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not as expected (in 47 reviews)

• Transparency by upper management is not there (in 17 reviews)

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, friendly coworkers, welcoming atmosphere

Cons

100% travel, some consultants are more interested in accruing flight miles and hotel points than the client work

2. "Stay away from Workday Practice! No room for growth."

Former Employee - Workday Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Workday Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, 401K match (6%), Travel benefits (upto 3K), Work from home, great place to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Not enough training and advancement opportunities. They pretty much throw you under the bus and expect you you to survive. Bad C-level management decisions cost many people jobs. The Workday practice is a mess from top down. The MDs dont know what their doing to win a project and are pretty much useless. Workday practice has no room for growth and its a dead end for anyone who joins the WD practice because you will sit on bench forever since they dont have any projects to put you on.

Advice to Management

Be honest to you employees and dont keep lying to them about getting Workday projects. I thought corporate HR is supposed to help the employees but it clearly isn't. reevaluate your HR department and fire people who are not following company values and guidelines. The coaching system is useless and needs to get rid of it.
    I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time
    Pros
    The people, the flexibility, and a few of the perks. It's a good job all things told.
    Cons
    Single industry practices/being siloed and low compensation. Work seems more boring than what my friends at other firms have.
    Advice to Management. Pay your people more based on their education and experience, increase cross-practice collaboration, and listen to your people a bit more. Need to stop favoring employees and giving them the promotions. Just sell your Workday practice because its not making the company any more.

"IT professionals beware!"

Former Employee - IT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office environment. Good benefits. Smart colleagues.

Cons

Consulting practice leaders treat Corporate functions as personal servants and IT is at the bottom of the pile. Consultants travel around the country telling people to implement new software, have a real IT strategy while the company systems are an antiquated concoction from the 1990s. IT turnover is continuous with the best people leaving (or being let go), with other people getting promoted into roles they don't have the skills or aptitude for. IT leadership skills are not valued as much as technical skills - even at high levels of the organization.

Advice to Management

You need to take IT seriously as a strategic advantage. Value technical employees as well as you do the people in consulting practices. Invest in a solid IT leadership team that has the experience to right the ship.

5. "A Company with a Bright Future!"

Former Intern - Higher Education & Life Sciences Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Higher Education & Life Sciences Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people with a culture that cultivates collaboration, diversity, and the well beings of others. On top of that, this is a great consulting firm that provides employees with various opportunities to work with upper management. Huron's iMatter teams are an incredible way to become more involved with the community and I had such an amazing time interning for the organization.

Cons

It is relatively new, when compared to other consulting firms like Deloitte and Accenture, and as a result, there are still many processes being created internally.

6. "Great Company and people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my experience at Huron. Huron has a great culture and for those who are wiling to work hard, will find an environmental where they can grow and develop their career.

Cons

Given the cyclical nature of our business there are times when business will ebb and flow. But I don't know any industry where this is not the case.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The PEOPLE! I've never had a project team I didn't love (after 4 projects) and
    - Development opportunities - if you're looking to own a high-level client relationship, supervise others internally, lead a project work plan, etc. this place will give you the chance, and quickly. I've learned SO much and am able to apply these skills anywhere (even in my personal life)
    - Flexibility - if you request PTO in advance and it's not putting project timelines at risk, you can take it and be sure that no one will be calling you or expecting email response. We greatly value work life balance (as much as a consulting firm can) so though we may plug a lot of hours, your PTO is sacred. We are also looking to allow more work at home time and usually you can sort this out with project leadership depending on the situation.
    - Benefits are great (health insurance, 401k, wellness)

Cons

- Very, very limited say in where you are staffed. This can be nice since staffing is out of your control so you aren't the sole owner of getting yourself onto a project, however, the downside of that is you could be staffed anywhere even if it is misaligned with the preferences you've expressed to leadership
    - Strict development tracks for the most part--there's a very standard pyramid structure that may not always play to folk's strengths while also granting upward mobility - but this seems to be changing and our various practices are shifting to be less silo'd

Advice to Management

Do not lose sight of your people. The recent layoffs, the random staffing assignments (which sort of feel like an effort to prevent folks from being laid off rather than staffing to their preferences and strengths), and the sometimes strict travel policies--all of this has created some negative vibes over the last year and I think we are losing some of our best people because of it.

8. "Good company but be careful."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of infrastructure for data and other.
    Travel benefits & 401k.
    Great intro to consulting.
    Strives for efficiency.

Cons

Siloed.
    Infrastructure can collide with efficiency.
    Layoffs and downsizing dependent on practice.
    Expiration dates on roles.

Advice to Management

Pros need to always outweigh cons.
    Forecasting & management should also be cut for estimates that lead to layoffs.
    Job protection vs metrics.
    As taught in org skills -Good HR always gets written final statements from employees.

9. "Packs survive"

Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Individual consultant contribution recognized as long as you are part of a pack/group/cliche which is performing and generating revenue

Cons

Packs always looking to succeed at the expense of another

Advice to Management

Huron Legal is now Consilio. I hope you cut the unnecessary travel

"Luck of the Draw"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and talented people (for the most part); take the time to pick your clan wisely. It matters.
    - Access to high level leaders at client site
    - General support for trying new things (as long as you still bill your 40 hours)
    - Decent training and professional development opportunities

Cons

- Terrible interview experience
    - Luck of the draw staffing and poorly scoped projects results in uneven experiences
    - Coaching model is fundamentally broken; you are always serving too many masters
    - Development is hodgepodge; without a strong advocate, you'll be pulled into ridiculous amounts of busywork that are not rewarded come review time

Advice to Management

Create an environment in which people management is as valued as project management.

"Healthcare Analyst"

Former Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people who are driven, smart, and collaborative
    - Travel bonus each quarter if you travel 25+ days
    - Good healthcare plan + 401K
    - Flexible work at home Fridays

Cons

- After the first year with the company work/life balance becomes nonexistent. Projects do not have well defined scopes which causes the management team to over promise. Project teams end up struggling to fulfill those promises and stretching themselves thin.
    - Three layoffs in a single year: Instead of calling out issues with underperformance by the sales team, solution leadership dismissed the subject to calm the employees and failed to answer key questions
    - Politics: Getting staffed is about who you know and while it's great to be on the "beach" for a while, without a project you can end up on a RIF

Advice to Management

- While layoffs might be necessary to keep the company afloat, leadership should focus on ensuring their sales team is performing and getting contracts signed
    - Set clear project scopes and don't over promise to the client, because when your project team can't deliver future sales will suffer