Huron Consulting Group Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Huron Consulting Group Director Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2019

4.6
Huron Consulting Group CEO James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth
  1. "Great Company to Work for!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of organizational support.

Cons

High expectations and fast paced environment may not be for everyone.

Huron Consulting Group2019-04-30
  2. "Tough Environment, Laggard to Peers"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some interesting work, especially in Academic Medical Centers

Cons

Lack of cohesive strategy, litigious, MD comp tied to a poorly performing share price

Huron Consulting Group2019-10-24

"Tough on employees"

Former Employee - Director in Remote, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel, meet decent clients, education

Cons

No support from management, looked only at near term

Huron Consulting Group2019-08-08

"Siloed and struggles to absorb acquisitions"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Collegial atmosphere, less command and control unlike other Consulting firms

Cons

Poor collaboration across practice areas. Org Structure perpetuates territorial behavior by MD's. Insufficient investment in methodology and research. Diversity is driven almost entirely by white female and LGBT - very little representation from other ethnicitys.

Huron Consulting Group2019-03-10

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Really good culture - Wonderful people - Significant, measurable impact with clients - Great place to grow a career

Cons

- Huron is experiencing a considerable growth curve and is having to work hard to stay ahead of resource and capacity needs. Lots of great steps being taking to address...but will take a little time.

Advice to Management

The firm has evolved a lot over recent years...to the better. Stay focused on bringing the strategy to life. Will be very interesting to see where we are 3-5 years from now!

Huron Consulting Group2019-02-25

"Professional, Smart, Opportunities everywhere, Good Pay"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Huron hires some of the best, most talented recent college graduates in the marketplace. My co-workers were some of the most professional and well respected individuals in the market Base compensation and bonus was very good. There were some down years but overall, we were paid well above average. Benefits and 401k matching are some of the best in the consulting world

Cons

They sold my division in 2016 to a Venture Capital firm. Not really a con for Huron just didn't workout for the consulting arm of our group.

Huron Consulting Group2019-02-21

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing (smart, good people, fun). The culture is tight knit and your co-workers become your best friends. - There is a strong culture of development and coaching. I always felt like leadership had my back and was helping me plan for my next role, promotion, development opportunity, etc. I really felt like I was in control of my career. - I really respect and trust senior... leadership. Leadership is very transparent and available to any level. - Work is challenging, but fun

Cons

We had a couple of slow years in healthcare. The practice leader at the time seemed slow to make necessary changes to get us back on track. We now have new leadership that is very committed to this and I feel good about where we're going. Travel can be tough, but that's all part of the deal with consulting.

Huron Consulting Group2018-09-18

"Love it"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work environment Supportive leadership Great Benefits

Cons

Lack of a solid work life balance

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees

Huron Consulting Group2018-09-30

"Helping our clients with great people"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've made my career at Huron for a number of reasons, most notably is the people. I've made some of my very best friends at this company, friends that I consider family. I feel very grateful to be surrounded with such passionate, driven, and integrity-filled people each day. I also find the work incredibly challenging and constantly changing. We work in almost every area of hospital/medical group operations so... there is always something new to learn. Additionally, each client brings new challenges - related to functional process improvement or, my favorite, change management and coaching challenges. These challenges keep me motivated and excited to come to work each day. Lastly, it is so rewarding to do good work for a hospital. Knowing that the work I'm doing impacts families at their toughest times or helps to keep hospitals open is much more motivating to me than helping another industry's profit margin.

Cons

Obviously, the travel can be obnoxious and it can be hard to be away from home so much. There have also been projects I haven't loved - difficult clients or bosses that I wasn't sad to walk away from at the end of the engagement. Luckily those have been infrequent and only temporary.

Huron Consulting Group2018-09-24
  10. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture is good for employee alignment

Cons

Still in growth stage out of small company to large player.

Huron Consulting Group2018-06-19