Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is often times difficult to maintain, though project teams do their best" (in 59 reviews)

• "upper management can be a little distant" (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing (smart, good people, fun). The culture is tight knit and your co-workers become your best friends.
    - There is a strong culture of development and coaching. I always felt like leadership had my back and was helping me plan for my next role, promotion, development opportunity, etc. I really felt like I was in control of my career.
    - I really respect and trust senior leadership. Leadership is very transparent and available to any level.
    - Work is challenging, but fun

Cons

We had a couple of slow years in healthcare. The practice leader at the time seemed slow to make necessary changes to get us back on track. We now have new leadership that is very committed to this and I feel good about where we're going.

Travel can be tough, but that's all part of the deal with consulting.

"Excellent Organization"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a definite vision for the long term trajectory for the organization. Senior leadership practices the organization's core values and is very open to feedback.
     There are many team building activities and the organization fosters a family type atmosphere. Training opportunities are ample and the compensation and promotional tracks are clear.

Cons

As with any traveling consulting work, the week after week travel can be grueling but that is the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the non-healthcare business lines to further diversify your revenue stream.

"Huron"

Current Employee - Healthcare Associate
    Current Employee - Healthcare Associate

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Friendly and fun culture with extremely smart but not overly competitive teams
    * Access to project and practice leadership, emphasis on employee engagement
    * Great client exposure from very early in career
    * Significant opportunities for quick upward mobility based on performance

Cons

* Frequent travel (weekly Monday-Thursday)

Advice to Management

*Continue to provide transparent updates on new developing practice areas
    *Continue to emphasize opportunities for employees to work on integrated projects with different practice areas

"Challenging and Fulfilling Career"

Current Employee - Director, Healthcare Performance Improvement in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are incredible. There is a palpable difference between them and other consultants I’ve worked with or others in industry. Huron has provided a home for me for 10+ years where I’ve been able to grow my skills while contributing to an industry that I’m passionate about (healthcare). I feel well compensated for my efforts and recognized in many other ways. Great culture, great work, and lots of happy clients in my network now.

Cons

Biggest has to be the travel, but that comes with the territory of being a consultant. We have gotten much better about allowing folks to have more flexible travel schedules in recent years, though, and you do tend to start being able to control your schedule better once you’re at the director level and above, but the typical M-Th travel can be tough. You have to just see it as a perk and treat yourself to some fun trips with all the points and miles you’ll have. Outside of that, we’ve certainly had the same kind of problems come up over the years that any firm could expect (times where we’ve needed to adapt to the market, new policies that didn’t go smoothly, etc.), but I’ve always felt like I’ve been able to help solve those problems, even when I was fairly junior. I think that’s what makes the lows feel not so low and has been why I’ve decided to stay and make a long career here.

"Ample Opportunity to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huron is a company filled with passionate and driven yet humble individuals who strive to serve clients and each other. The people are what make the company great. In my own career I've been able to navigate through an evolving path, including transformative changes to my department. I appreciate how leadership is willing to spend time and resources growing individual contributors in ways that are meaningful.

Cons

As with any consulting company, the consulting lifestyle can be tough, especially when it comes to travel. However, we have made strides to augment how we operate to become more accommodating, especially once you are more senior (Director+).

"Why Huron is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Huron full time for three years and have appreciated the numerous positives that have come with this job. We truly live their values and help foster professional development within the organization. I've been impressed with how we have navigated the market and industry over the last few years.

Cons

With any consulting job I think comes the expectation of long hours and travel. It is probably the most difficult part of the job. That said, Huron does a really good job to advocate for work life balance.

7. "Healthcare Associate Salary"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Strong sense of community among teams

Cons

Challenges in navigating company integration

8. "Higher Ed Analyst"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Overall good environment and colleagues.

Cons

High turnover of experienced team members, incredibly boring work that is making me dumber by the week.

Advice to Management

In a tight job market, it would be wise to pay people with 2+ years experience more so prevent them from jumping ship to Deloitte/EY/KPMG/Accenture. Can't staff a project entirely with 23 year olds.

"A sweatshop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great 401k match (6%), decent salary. Good opportunity to develop clinical analytic skills in a fast-paced environment.

Cons

I'm usually pretty fair when writing these reviews, but I'm spending some extra time on this one pointing out This firm has very little diversity (very few women or persons of color in C-Suite, no set processes to assist new employees, poor onboarding processes, an awful work/life balance, and a bait and switch attitude when setting expectations during the interview process. Analysts are stretched to the breaking point with unreasonable expectations for providing analytical and quantitative input, leading to burnout and poorly executed project management.

Advice to Management

Balance out your enthusiasm for upping the stock price to $100 with a little more concern about the training and well-being of your employees. This is a typical sweatshop consulting firm that hires young graduates out of college, pays them median salaries, and burns them out in 2-3 years. Also, hire some more seasoned consultants who can manage projects and employees rather than nurses who can't see past the authority of doctors. Lastly, broaden your sales team so the few seasoned salespersons can count on others to close the deals.

Huron Consulting Group Response

Sep 13, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer - We know employee feedback is necessary to grow our culture, so thank you for sharing your thoughts on Glassdoor. We are proud of our onboarding programs and our focus on balancing... More

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Culture
    Unlimited PTO
    Challenging and rewarding work

Cons

Large company sometimes leads to inefficient communication