Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of a solid work life balance" (in 62 reviews)

• "Long hours are sometimes necessary and upper management consistently had poor communication regarding significant changes in the organization" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing (smart, good people, fun). The culture is tight knit and your co-workers become your best friends.
    - There is a strong culture of development and coaching. I always felt like leadership had my back and was helping me plan for my next role, promotion, development opportunity, etc. I really felt like I was in control of my career.
    - I really respect and trust senior leadership. Leadership is very transparent and available to any level.
    - Work is challenging, but fun

Cons

We had a couple of slow years in healthcare. The practice leader at the time seemed slow to make necessary changes to get us back on track. We now have new leadership that is very committed to this and I feel good about where we're going.

Travel can be tough, but that's all part of the deal with consulting.

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong culture
    Employees interested in making a social impact
    Great experience early on: Analysts get immediate exposure

Cons

Lacks strong methodologies: you are often creating methodology on the fly
    Lower pay than general management consulting (but you are making a sacrifice to do social impact work)

Advice to Management

Hire more, you are not fully staffed.
    Go private. Being public is lame.

3. "Consultant"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

challenging projects, collaboration across teams, thought provoking thought leadership

Cons

utilization on projects could be better, reorg caused a hostile environment in the practice

Huron Consulting Group Response

Nov 7, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer – Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While change in any organization is difficult, we are disappointed to hear that your employee experience was not reflective of Huron’s... More

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for intellectual development if that is what you seek

Cons

Analysts not valued for the utilization and work that they put in. No collaboration across practices, despite that being a "value" that was introduced last year. Compensation is woefully under industry average for consultants who put in the same number of hours and produce similar work. Oftentimes feel like another replaceable cog in a machine, and no matter how much value you add to your team or practice, they don't make exceptions for exceptional people to move up even if all levels of leadership agree that you are performing above your current level. Professional development and the committees who decide your compensation/promotion are very opaque processes.

Advice to Management

Do not treat your employees like replaceable pieces, if you want to inspire innovation and collaboration. Otherwise, there's no other incentive to do anything other than the bare minimum.

5. "Director"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great People to work with, and great network

Cons

Culture is spoken but not implemented or enforced. Some areas do abide by it, but generally it's a ton of double speak.

Huron Consulting Group Response

Oct 29, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer - Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are dedicated to preserving a culture of inclusion and collaboration, so we are disappointed to hear your experience was inconsistent. If... More

"Great people. Good company."

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can’t stress enough about the quality of people Huron hires. You will enjoy your co-workers and make good friendships along the way. Decent benefits package. If you take the time to be engaged you will be put in front of the right people to advance your career. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult. Travel can get stale when on a long term project. I found it difficult to maintain healthy habits and relationships with constant travel. This is not the case for everyone, just my experience. Can get lonely at times in your hotel room. If you have a problem client you need to do what you can to make them happy, usually at the cost of your personal downtime. If you do not make an effort to get noticed by management then it will take longer to get promoted. You may not always be on interesting projects so be prepared to try and make the best of it. Analyst/Associates do not have much pull when it comes to deciding what types of projects you would like to work on. You can some times feel like worker bees and, more often than not, referred to as a “body” to fill a role or “boots on the ground” as if what we do parallels to war (which it can feel like at times). Some people will love the lifestyle, others will not and others will tolerate it.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job. I think some of the issues I noticed are common among most consulting firms, and do not reflect on management’s capabilities. I would suggest not selling work just to sell something, but determine if the work will keep your consultants engaged and energized. You hire very smart and driven people, do what you can to make sure engagements will keep them mentally stimulated.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment
    Supportive leadership
    Great Benefits

Cons

Lack of a solid work life balance

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees

8. "Happy"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Flexibility, career growth, bonus potential

Cons

lack of bonus funding in down years

"Helping our clients with great people"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've made my career at Huron for a number of reasons, most notably is the people. I've made some of my very best friends at this company, friends that I consider family. I feel very grateful to be surrounded with such passionate, driven, and integrity-filled people each day.

I also find the work incredibly challenging and constantly changing. We work in almost every area of hospital/medical group operations so there is always something new to learn. Additionally, each client brings new challenges - related to functional process improvement or, my favorite, change management and coaching challenges. These challenges keep me motivated and excited to come to work each day.

Lastly, it is so rewarding to do good work for a hospital. Knowing that the work I'm doing impacts families at their toughest times or helps to keep hospitals open is much more motivating to me than helping another industry's profit margin.

Cons

Obviously, the travel can be obnoxious and it can be hard to be away from home so much.

There have also been projects I haven't loved - difficult clients or bosses that I wasn't sad to walk away from at the end of the engagement. Luckily those have been infrequent and only temporary.

"Huron"

Current Employee - Healthcare Associate
    Current Employee - Healthcare Associate

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Friendly and fun culture with extremely smart but not overly competitive teams
    * Access to project and practice leadership, emphasis on employee engagement
    * Great client exposure from very early in career
    * Significant opportunities for quick upward mobility based on performance

Cons

* Frequent travel (weekly Monday-Thursday)

Advice to Management

*Continue to provide transparent updates on new developing practice areas
    *Continue to emphasize opportunities for employees to work on integrated projects with different practice areas