Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of a solid work life balance" (in 64 reviews)

• "Long hours are sometimes necessary and upper management consistently had poor communication regarding significant changes in the organization" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing (smart, good people, fun). The culture is tight knit and your co-workers become your best friends.
    - There is a strong culture of development and coaching. I always felt like leadership had my back and was helping me plan for my next role, promotion, development opportunity, etc. I really felt like I was in control of my career.
    - I really respect and trust senior leadership. Leadership is very transparent and available to any level.
    - Work is challenging, but fun

Cons

We had a couple of slow years in healthcare. The practice leader at the time seemed slow to make necessary changes to get us back on track. We now have new leadership that is very committed to this and I feel good about where we're going.

Travel can be tough, but that's all part of the deal with consulting.

2. "True effort by management to take feedback and make changes accordingly."

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- smaller company = invested in employees and retention
    - two-way communication between employees and executives, as well as between practices
    - people within the company generally reflect the company values, and I have found everyone at Huron friendly, helpful, and good to work with
    - reputation with clients
    - past and projected growth
    - strength of presence in industries / practices (Higher Ed, Research, Enterprise Solutions)
    - benefits (health, PTO policy, bonuses)
    - Management is very aware of the "cons" and has placed a lot of focus over the past year on creating solutions

Cons

- those who travel tend to do so more than competitors (e.g. travel every week of the month, rather than 1-2 weeks or less per month throughout a project)
    - internal info systems not ideal (time tracking, resource management, performance, travel, HR/benefits pages, internal document sharing), which is ironic for a firm that generates a lot of revenue from their Enterprise Solutions practice

- this is not necessarily a con, but because Huron is smaller than some of its major competitors, they do not have their practices / standards built out as much. I have seen that this allows new employees an opportunity to get involved right away, and make yourself known in the company as someone willing to contribute

3. "Good Honest Place to Work"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great people all around. Challenging work aplenty. Flexible management.

Cons

Some of the software products are a little long in the tooth. Newer product development feels a little rocky with mixed confidence levels, but with good intentions at least.

Advice to Management

Some Senior Management members are a little unpredictable and hard to read. Leadership for the most part wants to do well.

4. "Managing director"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great clients, interesting work. Really good fellow consultants

Cons

At times, work life balance was a little tough to manage

Advice to Management

None really

5. "Good company"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Good company, value-driven work, lots of good people

Cons

Slow to innovate, manages workforce through RIF (like most consulting firms)

6. "Would not recommend for analysts or associates"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Travel bonus and consulting perks
    Work experience

Cons

Fraternity culture
    Competitive, cliquey atmosphere
    Little regard for employee's skill sets or interests when determining project placement
    Project needs trump employee needs especially if you're an analyst or an associate - Leadership will withhold vacation or ask employees to change their vacation due to project demands, as well as ask employees to schedule doctor's appointments when it fits the project timelines (even if that's not the best for the employee's health)
    Work/Life balance

Nov 27, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer – Thank you for your feedback. This is not the employee experience we pride ourselves on as the health and well-being of our employees is a top priority. Given the nature of your... More

7. "Consultant"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

challenging projects, collaboration across teams, thought provoking thought leadership

Cons

utilization on projects could be better, reorg caused a hostile environment in the practice

Nov 7, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer – Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While change in any organization is difficult, we are disappointed to hear that your employee experience was not reflective of Huron’s... More

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for intellectual development if that is what you seek

Cons

Analysts not valued for the utilization and work that they put in. No collaboration across practices, despite that being a "value" that was introduced last year. Compensation is woefully under industry average for consultants who put in the same number of hours and produce similar work. Oftentimes feel like another replaceable cog in a machine, and no matter how much value you add to your team or practice, they don't make exceptions for exceptional people to move up even if all levels of leadership agree that you are performing above your current level. Professional development and the committees who decide your compensation/promotion are very opaque processes.

Advice to Management

Do not treat your employees like replaceable pieces, if you want to inspire innovation and collaboration. Otherwise, there's no other incentive to do anything other than the bare minimum.

"Great people. Good company."

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can’t stress enough about the quality of people Huron hires. You will enjoy your co-workers and make good friendships along the way. Decent benefits package. If you take the time to be engaged you will be put in front of the right people to advance your career. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult. Travel can get stale when on a long term project. I found it difficult to maintain healthy habits and relationships with constant travel. This is not the case for everyone, just my experience. Can get lonely at times in your hotel room. If you have a problem client you need to do what you can to make them happy, usually at the cost of your personal downtime. If you do not make an effort to get noticed by management then it will take longer to get promoted. You may not always be on interesting projects so be prepared to try and make the best of it. Analyst/Associates do not have much pull when it comes to deciding what types of projects you would like to work on. You can some times feel like worker bees and, more often than not, referred to as a “body” to fill a role or “boots on the ground” as if what we do parallels to war (which it can feel like at times). Some people will love the lifestyle, others will not and others will tolerate it.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job. I think some of the issues I noticed are common among most consulting firms, and do not reflect on management’s capabilities. I would suggest not selling work just to sell something, but determine if the work will keep your consultants engaged and energized. You hire very smart and driven people, do what you can to make sure engagements will keep them mentally stimulated.

10. "Director"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great People to work with, and great network

Cons

Culture is spoken but not implemented or enforced. Some areas do abide by it, but generally it's a ton of double speak.

Oct 29, 2018 – PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer - Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are dedicated to preserving a culture of inclusion and collaboration, so we are disappointed to hear your experience was inconsistent. If... More