Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There is a respect for work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Huron has great people and a positive, fun working environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, growing company with a positive outlook

Cons

poor pay standards, very slow individual growth rate (promotions)

2. "Great Company and people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my experience at Huron. Huron has a great culture and for those who are wiling to work hard, will find an environmental where they can grow and develop their career.

Cons

Given the cyclical nature of our business there are times when business will ebb and flow. But I don't know any industry where this is not the case.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The PEOPLE! I've never had a project team I didn't love (after 4 projects) and
    - Development opportunities - if you're looking to own a high-level client relationship, supervise others internally, lead a project work plan, etc. this place will give you the chance, and quickly. I've learned SO much and am able to apply these skills anywhere (even in my personal life)
    - Flexibility - if you request PTO in advance and it's not putting project timelines at risk, you can take it and be sure that no one will be calling you or expecting email response. We greatly value work life balance (as much as a consulting firm can) so though we may plug a lot of hours, your PTO is sacred. We are also looking to allow more work at home time and usually you can sort this out with project leadership depending on the situation.
    - Benefits are great (health insurance, 401k, wellness)

Cons

- Very, very limited say in where you are staffed. This can be nice since staffing is out of your control so you aren't the sole owner of getting yourself onto a project, however, the downside of that is you could be staffed anywhere even if it is misaligned with the preferences you've expressed to leadership
    - Strict development tracks for the most part--there's a very standard pyramid structure that may not always play to folk's strengths while also granting upward mobility - but this seems to be changing and our various practices are shifting to be less silo'd

Advice to Management

Do not lose sight of your people. The recent layoffs, the random staffing assignments (which sort of feel like an effort to prevent folks from being laid off rather than staffing to their preferences and strengths), and the sometimes strict travel policies--all of this has created some negative vibes over the last year and I think we are losing some of our best people because of it.

5. "Healthcare Consulting Associate"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities and decent work life for consultant life. Good first career company.

Cons

Company is not sure on what direction it is heading in and is causing sales issues due to that. Compensation is average for consultants. Not sure on long term employment.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees and market changes.

6. "Enterprise Solutions Practice - Change in Management for the worse"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- Various opportunities to get involved throughout the firm
    - Coaching model

Cons

- Lack of experience at Director level within Enterprise Solutions practice
    - Lack of direction on promotion path
    - Consistently re-organizing the structure of the Practice

7. "Good company but be careful."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of infrastructure for data and other.
    Travel benefits & 401k.
    Great intro to consulting.
    Strives for efficiency.

Cons

Siloed.
    Infrastructure can collide with efficiency.
    Layoffs and downsizing dependent on practice.
    Expiration dates on roles.

Advice to Management

Pros need to always outweigh cons.
    Forecasting & management should also be cut for estimates that lead to layoffs.
    Job protection vs metrics.
    As taught in org skills -Good HR always gets written final statements from employees.

8. "Packs survive"

Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Individual consultant contribution recognized as long as you are part of a pack/group/cliche which is performing and generating revenue

Cons

Packs always looking to succeed at the expense of another

Advice to Management

Huron Legal is now Consilio. I hope you cut the unnecessary travel

9. "Great company"

Pros

Great company to grow and develop through and entry level position. Competitive starting pay and very good experience.

Cons

Only downside is the travel. You are on the road 5 days a week which could be pretty taxing to some individuals.

Advice to Management

Everything is fine as of now. Employee benefits are great and hours are standard for consulting.

10. "Good place to learn"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Focus on development of junior employees

Cons

Time of transition in company with much uncertainty

"Fails in Key Areas"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits.

If you land on a project where not much is expected of you (slightly less than average odds), you can clock in, clock out, and collect an above-average paycheck.

Cons

Leadership tends to be comprised of people who either have never held subject matter expertise in key delivery areas, or have long since forgotten how subject matter expertise is important in delivery and building lasting client relationships (which lead to solid references, and future add-on work). This leads them to undervalue individuals who are qualified to lead delivery efforts on the ground, and instead, invest more in increasing sales (how much they pay salespeople) and reducing cost of sales (how much they pay consultants) rather than investing in quality of delivery and building up their people, which is how you win repeat business. Over time, their lack of emphasis on investing in their people will lead to SMEs being over-utilized, entry-level hires taking on leadership roles without proper coaching or oversight, lower-quality implementations, fewer and fewer referenceable clients, and ultimately less revenue.

On a consistent basis, leadership and salespeople underbid projects, committing to lofty achievements that could be realized in minimal time, and delivery teams were left to deal with this unrealistic expectations, which led leadership to apply significant pressure on teams to perform above and beyond what is possible (80+ hours per week at times). Lack of qualified resources to assist with project work was a major constraint.

They have a significant talent management problem. The entry-level talent is lacking, specifically they have a dearth of curious, hard-working, eager-to-prove-themselves people. As a result, the few subject matter experts they have are spread too thin to deliver work, and junior-level resources don't have the willingness or aptitude to share the load.

As a result, they lean heavily on employees with said subject matter expertise to be workhorses, which means they they don't have time to build up others, coach them, and help them meet their goals and objectives. A byproduct is, when you're a workhorse, you can't take on greater levels of responsibility because you're still cranking out widgets.

Finally, behind Huron's shiny new logo is a bunch of broken administrative systems and bureaucratic processes. Time, expense, training, voice conferencing. On a weekly basis I would have conference calls where key client stakeholders couldn't attend due to issues with our videoconferencing service, a cost-cutting measure that prevented me from being effective at my job. Submitting expense reports would take 20-30 minutes longer than they should, because after every expense item submitted, you'll get errors and have to log out and back in. The time entry system goes down regularly. There are other widespread computer issues (e.g. nearly everyone at the company gets Blue Screens of Death due to the software the company installs on all laptops), all of which make it difficult to do the already time-consuming admin work that is on top of a 40-hour workweek on a client project. They also just outsourced their IT helpdesk to a group that is routinely unresponsive to IT issues, adding to the seemingly endless issues that make life at Huron difficult.

The biggest problem of all, is that they don't ask for employee feedback, and when unsolicited employee feedback is given, it is actively ignored, basically acknowledging the feedback and subsequently stating that there are no plans to make a change and further e-mails are not necessary.

Advice to Management

Regularly solicit feedback from the consultants that earn the company revenue, specifically asking for ways to improve client service and how to improve the efficiency of the consulting organization and its ability to serve its clients.

Identify ways to reduce overhead costs, make the company more lean, and use the savings to invest more heavily in talent acquisition, growth, and development.

Apply more stringent standards to new hires. Pay top of market for new hires and expect high performance. Or, pay middle market and expect modest performance. Don't pay middle of market and expect high performance. It inevitably leads to Associates and/or Managers doing the heavy-lifting without any bandwidth to coach or train-up the younglings.

Don't use the "make it rain" approach to compensation. Finding creative ways to pay a few dollars here, a few dollars there, doesn't make people feel like they're making more money. By "creative" I mean stock purchase matching with annoying vesting periods, gift cards when you travel more than 20 days in a quarter, reimbursement for a few dollars of "wellness expenses" here and there. With all the time I spent trying to figure out how to maximize those ancillary benefits, I could've been productive, making the company more money than what it cost for all those benefits. Take a page from the Netflix playbook. Pay people in cash, and let them choose what to do with it, they're adults. If employees want to use that cash to buy Huron's tanking stock to try and keep it afloat, they can, but 100% of employees would rather have the cash and do something else with it.