Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There is a respect for work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Huron has great people and a positive, fun working environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not as expected (in 47 reviews)

• Transparency by upper management is not there (in 17 reviews)

"IT professionals beware!"

Former Employee - IT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office environment. Good benefits. Smart colleagues.

Cons

Consulting practice leaders treat Corporate functions as personal servants and IT is at the bottom of the pile. Consultants travel around the country telling people to implement new software, have a real IT strategy while the company systems are an antiquated concoction from the 1990s. IT turnover is continuous with the best people leaving (or being let go), with other people getting promoted into roles they don't have the skills or aptitude for. IT leadership skills are not valued as much as technical skills - even at high levels of the organization.

Advice to Management

You need to take IT seriously as a strategic advantage. Value technical employees as well as you do the people in consulting practices. Invest in a solid IT leadership team that has the experience to right the ship.

2. "Great Development, Good People"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

The company rewards high performers with mentorship and promotion in a generally positive environment. Hours are less crazy than a lot of comparable consulting jobs, people really care about eachother and leaders dont see team members as easily replaceable (generally).

Cons

There has been a lot of turmoil and turnover in healthcare lately causing some uncertainity. The re-orgs have been poorly managed.

Advice to Management

Management should read the recent HBR articles on managing re-orgs.. lots of things they note as really bad in this space they have been doing.

"Great Culture, Financial Outlook not Great"

Former Employee - Healthcare Associate
    Former Employee - Healthcare Associate

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people were the driving force in getting me to come immediately after college, and the driving force for keeping me for the last 3 years
    - Client-facing opportunities: definitely get real-world experiences right away as an analyst and get to develop those skills
    - Health insurance and 401k matching and unlimited PTO policy

Cons

-Non-transparent Exec Leadership (Healthcare) - the last round of layoffs were a shock to many folks. Some of the strongest performers in the practices were laid off, showing that management did a shear "this person is taking PTO next week and isn't on a project" and "this person is taking a 4-week recharge". Not the holistic approach that represents the transparent and wonderful culture that I thought I'd come to know
    -No cross-training (Healthcare related): once you're placed into a practice, you're pretty much silo'd into developing an expertise in that area. After 3 years of that, it's tough to switch out of consulting to a non-healthcare role if you kinda just fell into it right out of college (like most analysts)
    -Travel: Mon-Thurs every single week with a few work at home weeks out of the year takes a toll on people. They started doing some flexible Mon evening - Wed evening travel (mostly because of folks on compensatory on the projects), which is better..
    -Strict "core competency" structure for development. It's pretty much a checklist of skillsets that you have to hit across the board, and even when you hit them, you may get a push back on your performance evaluation saying you were too focused on one area

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the financial situation of the company and the vision for improvement. Try try try to maintain the fun culture and wonderful outgoing people that made it great. Work hard play hard

5. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, growing company with a positive outlook

Cons

poor pay standards, very slow individual growth rate (promotions)

6. "Great Company and people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my experience at Huron. Huron has a great culture and for those who are wiling to work hard, will find an environmental where they can grow and develop their career.

Cons

Given the cyclical nature of our business there are times when business will ebb and flow. But I don't know any industry where this is not the case.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The PEOPLE! I've never had a project team I didn't love (after 4 projects) and
    - Development opportunities - if you're looking to own a high-level client relationship, supervise others internally, lead a project work plan, etc. this place will give you the chance, and quickly. I've learned SO much and am able to apply these skills anywhere (even in my personal life)
    - Flexibility - if you request PTO in advance and it's not putting project timelines at risk, you can take it and be sure that no one will be calling you or expecting email response. We greatly value work life balance (as much as a consulting firm can) so though we may plug a lot of hours, your PTO is sacred. We are also looking to allow more work at home time and usually you can sort this out with project leadership depending on the situation.
    - Benefits are great (health insurance, 401k, wellness)

Cons

- Very, very limited say in where you are staffed. This can be nice since staffing is out of your control so you aren't the sole owner of getting yourself onto a project, however, the downside of that is you could be staffed anywhere even if it is misaligned with the preferences you've expressed to leadership
    - Strict development tracks for the most part--there's a very standard pyramid structure that may not always play to folk's strengths while also granting upward mobility - but this seems to be changing and our various practices are shifting to be less silo'd

Advice to Management

Do not lose sight of your people. The recent layoffs, the random staffing assignments (which sort of feel like an effort to prevent folks from being laid off rather than staffing to their preferences and strengths), and the sometimes strict travel policies--all of this has created some negative vibes over the last year and I think we are losing some of our best people because of it.

8. "Healthcare Consulting Associate"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities and decent work life for consultant life. Good first career company.

Cons

Company is not sure on what direction it is heading in and is causing sales issues due to that. Compensation is average for consultants. Not sure on long term employment.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees and market changes.

9. "Enterprise Solutions Practice - Change in Management for the worse"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- Various opportunities to get involved throughout the firm
    - Coaching model

Cons

- Lack of experience at Director level within Enterprise Solutions practice
    - Lack of direction on promotion path
    - Consistently re-organizing the structure of the Practice

10. "Good company but be careful."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of infrastructure for data and other.
    Travel benefits & 401k.
    Great intro to consulting.
    Strives for efficiency.

Cons

Siloed.
    Infrastructure can collide with efficiency.
    Layoffs and downsizing dependent on practice.
    Expiration dates on roles.

Advice to Management

Pros need to always outweigh cons.
    Forecasting & management should also be cut for estimates that lead to layoffs.
    Job protection vs metrics.
    As taught in org skills -Good HR always gets written final statements from employees.

11. "Packs survive"

Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Technology Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Individual consultant contribution recognized as long as you are part of a pack/group/cliche which is performing and generating revenue

Cons

Packs always looking to succeed at the expense of another

Advice to Management

Huron Legal is now Consilio. I hope you cut the unnecessary travel