Huron Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated May 3, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is not always prioritized (in 52 reviews)

• Ever since the parent company bought a major competitor the work done here has taken a back seat in the views of upper management (in 19 reviews)

"Learn before you become, then leave."

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Responsibilities are learned early on
    -Dynamic culture
    -Variety of technology and business methodologies
    -Easy access to learning
    -Acceptable benefits
    -Interesting projects

Cons

-Overpriced hours billed to the lowest billing consultants "analysts just out of college more than likely"
    -Worst work/life
    -High turnover
    -Senior Management (lack of initiatives, no direction, no support, lack of management skills)
    -Advancement is questionable, the formula seems to be on the right project at the right time, pick a good coach
    -Professional Development is the worst, don't expect this indicator to mean anything, most of the other managers and directors are aware how bad it is
    -Small-Med consulting firm competition is on the rise, they grew to big too fast and are now fighting firms with half the amount of employees for the same contracts. In turn they only go after contracts that are valuable rather than providing a complete solution
    -Lack of resources to move new projects forward
    -Company grows by acquisition not by internal growth

Advice to Management

Make upper management more accountable. All of these Con's are because upper management allows and is aware of these issues. Only the CEO can be blamed if it has continued as long as it has. Give lower management some available time to breath and actually provide management.

2. "Extremely Mismanaged, poor direction"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rarely have to work weekends
    Some good staff

Cons

100% travel
    Below market pay
    Hires people based on select experience, not intelligence, creating situations where employees are only staffable on unique projects

Advice to Management

You are creating a commodity with your current strategy
    Charging extremely low rates to clients, resulting in not giving bonuses or raises to staff creates high turnover thus this is not truly a consulting firm, more of a canned solution that anybody can deliver

"STAY AWAY! Bi polar leadership w/ napoleon complexes, no work life balance, shifting responsibilities."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good standard benefits and vacation time allocated. There are very limited pros. The corporate and healthcare people are very friendly and so is HR. The Legal people and Legal IT are another story. One of the only pros was having your own cubical till they started removing those as well to give you an area of about 5 feet x 5 feet where you literally butted up against your team mate. Another pro was the revolving door, new people would teach you new things, but wouldn't stay long enough because they grew tired of the environment.

Cons

Low pay grade comparative to industry standards. Work life balance is not even considered in Legal (as you constantly get alerts all day and all night). Since you are working with Legal, your uptime has to be 100 percent or you will be working from home, at night, in the morning, and on your weekends a lot with no reimbursement of time as comp. You will be on call every 4 weeks, along with having to serve one weekend a month for maintenance which means you really only get 2 weekends a month with your family (even when you are off, you get calls and are expected to respond within 15-30 minutes). Better plan your vacations ahead of time so you can get away from the weekend issues and make sure you have someone to cover you. If you are on projects and you go on vacation/medical leave (even if your manager has updates right before you go) be expected to work during your vacation or at least respond while you are gone. Training is very limited, and the training you do get is on proprietary technology that no one else uses. Tools and access required to fix real world problems are not provided or rather limited to even many Senior level guys.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your business owners along with your team members. Failures that happen is because managers/directors do not fix environment when they are notified, not because they don't have the right technology. Set manageable goals, quit making assumptions regarding what people do outside normal business hours (establish that work life balance that HR promotes in their manuals), most importantly treat every employee with respect. Offer training that is outside the proprietary element so that people can further their careers and allow themselves to grow. Get rid of the old way of thinking and the old leaders that do not bring fresh insight, and bring in fresh leadership with stronger values aligned to the Huron values (work life balance) and better execution.

"Work for the company for over three years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice benefits program, great work-life balance

Cons

Little growth potential for corp employees. Corp employees are expected to treat consultants like Gods because they make the money.

Advice to Management

Find a culture that everyone can be one company.

"The IT Department management is bad and they should feel bad."

Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They emphasize on training and give you options of what training you can take. Generous vacation/PTO days. Very friendly and super nice employees outside of IT.

Cons

The IT department is in disarray and divided.There is the network team and then everyone else.The network team is the worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of working with. If you ask them question or go to them for help you get eye rolls and short, unhelpful answers.That group has a problem of keeping employees. Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management.
    Another problem I had when I was working there is that management does not have your back. They will throw you under the bus so fast to make themselves look good to other management. Even the HR person for IT is a waste of office space.The times I went to HR with complaints they were ignored or I was brushed off.
    It was such a weight of my shoulders when I left Huron and found a place were IT management actually cares about you.

Advice to Management

Take care of your regular employees rather than protecting management since your employees are the ones who actually do the work. Start fresh with the network/infrastructure team, starting with the top guy. He is the weak link in the Huron chain.

"(Micro)Management , Culture is good."

Current Employee - Associate in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Associate in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work culture which varies across teams.

Cons

No autonomy for individual employees, everything comes top down. Cant survive without an ' YES BOSS ' mentality, micro management is a set norm( pee breaks and coffee breaks are carefully observed not wether work done or not). Compensation is based on weaknesses.

Advice to Management

Trust your Employees , plan better so everyone is set for sucess , not setting up agggressive goals and draining down employees physically and mentally

"Good culture and work/life balance, Difficult to grow and advance"

Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huron promotes a fair work/life balance and is respectful of vacation time. They also have excellent benefits (insurance, travel bonus, annual bonus, etc) and generous annual raises. Although you'll work late when you're traveling, they expect reasonable hours when you're off-site (I work on weekends occasionally, but it is always my choice to do so). The annual conference is in Las Vegas and is a grand experience. Analysts are encouraged to take on responsibility both with the client and internally, so there is always opportunity to get involved. They offer meaningful philanthropy and community involvement opportunities. They broadcast and genuinely support their values (integrity, passion, collaboration, pursuit of excellence, and accountability); employees are recognized constantly for exhibiting these values.

Cons

Career advancement is heavily dependent your coach and project assignments. Hard work often isn't rewarded; If you want to advance, it's most important to have support in high places and be on the right project at the right time. Furthermore, the work can become repetitive. Projects tend to be iterations of the same thing over and over again. It is difficult to switch into a different branch of the company (called solution groups) if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Huron's method is highly successful and effective, so you WILL become very good at the specific thing you do; however, if you're looking to work on a variety of healthcare-related issues, Huron may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Provide clear feedback and expectations to employees, consider your employee's career goals and be more supportive of employee growth, continue to promote the Huron values

"Terrible Experience as a contract attorney"

Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Speaking solely as a contract attorney, good if you're unemployed and need temporary work

Cons

They are not flexible, office environment DISCOURAGES talking to one another or any talking for that matter. Anti social and terrible working conditions.

"Let the good times roll, somewhere else...."

Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great, very low out of pocket costs. Decent place to start a career out of college to learn the ropes of being a professional, but not for a long term career

Cons

Work life balance is never a company priority, career progression is limited with a flat structure and mgmt culture that puts you where they want you, not where you want to be. Promotions are based on popularity not skill and merit. Pay raises are rarely more than 3-4% a year.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and their careers, stop following the "old boys club" rules.

"OK if you're a billable consultant, not so much for corp employees"

Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have some nice benefits, such as work-life allowance (that's an extra $300 per year you can spend on gym memberships, bike purchase etc), they allow you to keep the bonus points accrued by your corporate credit card (which is kinda weird, as essentially this motivates employees to spend more in corporate expenses), you can get some retail discounts with their corporate program. Fairly nice career paths for billable consultants (or so I heard). Stock matching options. You may meet some nice and professional people over there and learn from them, if you're lucky.

Cons

If you're a corporate employee, there's virtually no career growth or professional development. During my time there, I obtained a number of professional certifications (like PMP etc.), and wasn't reimbursed a dime for training or certification fees. Oh, and no raise as well. Either I would be told that this isn't aligned to my career path at Huron, or my supervisor would just dodge the conversation. I knew some people there who've been an analysts for more than five years with no substantial raise or promotion. Ironically enough, they appear to promote PD and even have an online "Huron Academy", which is nothing but a big joke - it's mostly focused on anti-sexual harassment and anti-bribery training.

There's a lot of office politics involved, and quite often people who succeed there aren't the brightest, but the ones who kiss butts best/most. I met some IT managers over there with both technical and managerial skills of a grapefruit. As you can learn by reading the Wikipedia article about Huron, the company was formed by former Arthur Andersen partners and in addition to that was involved into a major scandal in 2009. Now, after I worked there, I think I know why.

Like any large company, there's lots of time wasted on all kinds of conference calls, most of them have no purpose whatsoever and are conducted simply because they are scheduled or to make managers happy. One example would be - when one of the practice leaders got fired, we had 4 (that is four, and I'm not exaggerating) calls about 20 minutes each where all of us had to listen how good it is that he's being kicked out and how better our life now would be (needless to say that most of us never seen this guy and didn't care at all). Weekly conference status call, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly and semi-monthly with a senior assistant of an apprentice of a junior manager - we had to put most of them on mute while laughing, because the guy had to have a one hour call every week with his reports, but unfortunately had nothing to say at all. I feel bad for him now.

That being said, not everything above applies to billable consultants, as far as I know they enjoy regular tenure-based promotions and PD isn't an issue whatsoever. So it's pretty much like two different companies.

Advice to Management

Think more of people who enable your consultants to do their job.