Hutton Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
John C. Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Collections Supervisor"

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good job security and solid management

Cons

low pay, management didn't always listen

2. "Leader"

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time

Pros

There are great people that work at Hutton. The inside sales team are some of the best in the business.

Cons

Hutton is somewhat held back by a negative market impression given by previous employees.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you keep the "low moral" team members out of Hutton

3. "A company on it's last legs..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

decent salary for work performed- made many good friends.

Cons

management missing in action. no sense of leadership or direction. they reacted instead of being pro-active. there was no accountability for poor performance; same stupid mistakes went unpunished continuously = "the lunatics were in charge of the asylum".. and company suffered greatly causing good people to be let go because their salaries may have looked too high; and instead kept the underperforming dolts who were causing the problems who were working for less .
    also, insurance benefits extremely expensive with ridiculous high deductables which were never met.

Advice to Management

get back in control!... do something useful to justify your rate of pay.

"Hostile Work Place"

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time

Pros

Ability to work virtual

Cons

Older employee were mean and clickishave and gossipy.

Advice to Management

It is important to understand how long it takes to perform job related tasks so that your expecting are reasonable.

5. "Hutton review"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Bonney Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Bonney Lake, WA

I worked at Hutton Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Never write a negative thing regarding a former employer.

Advice to Management

Get Commscope back on your line card.

6. "Segment Director"

Former Employee - Segment Director in Stewartstown, PA
    Former Employee - Segment Director in Stewartstown, PA

I worked at Hutton Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a remote office was a godsend

Cons

lack of direction for the company and not understanding the verticals they chose to target

Advice to Management

cohesively form a plan of action and LEAD(John Walker was great when he was there(thumbs up) but executive and senior management has changed so much in the last year, who's on first?

7. "Once a GREAT company now burnt to ashes"

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hutton Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

The majority of my career there was good the last couple years the fire started and I saw it coming a mile away Many good people in the company and many that cared. Good inter-departmental cooperation and team work in most instances. Flexible environment that is concerned with overall sales run rate and trends vs. week to week hit the number or else.

Cons

Good old boys management club at headquarters. Sooner or later we all knew the foolish spending, lavish partying and disrespect to vendors and employees as well as unprofessionalism would catch up and the company would be in trouble. Lost their main supplier as a distributor and that was 70% of the business.Great people were let go or left many that were promoted should NEVER have been as they let the power go to their heads and also became a protected species and did whatever they wanted. In what other company can you be fired by a manager for misconduct that manager leaves the company then magically a new manager is promoted from within and re-hires the guy that was previously fired this time back as a consultant??? Frequent abuse of authority and those in management roles decided they no longer had to answer calls or e-mails or lend any assistance to sales. Many of us were set adrift. Very little advancement in the company unless you were a local to corporate and were allowed into the "club". Company had a tendency to hire castaways from other companies that did more damage than they did good at and were fired or left after brief periods. Management never listened to anyone, at times they asked for and we gave good solid advice and direction said they would act on it then promptly ignored taking any action at all

Advice to Management

I think it's too late for advice and when it was given earlier no one listened anyway.

8. "Rather not say"

Pros

Things are getting better in terms of bad management getting removed and decent people being promoted and the culture in some departments is better than it used to be. New CEO actually walks through and says hello to people.

Cons

"Boy's club," poor working environment, no raises or promotions for 99% of employees, business is tanking and has been for some time.

Advice to Management

Keep talent and hard work, not popularity.

9. "MADMEN"

Pros

There is a growing group of people who genuinely care about the company, and doing the right thing.

Cons

There is a select group of upper management that protect each other by down playing or overlooking some ridiculous actions from their peers.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a large focus on business etiquette. While internally this is important, the external perception of the company is in need of repair.

"24 YEARS IN DISTRIBUTION"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I discuss Hutton's future in distribution with the top people in the industry, the carriers, the top vendors and manufacturers, they all agree that Hutton has the basic infastructure to be a dynamic force. All of them seem to be perplexed at the incompetence and waste of talent and time. It is truly sad to watch such good, hard working people being churned into compost.

Cons

Hutton changed management in 1998 or 1999, and when Bill Mueller left, the company was at the top of it's game. I had been with the company for 8 years at that time, but after a taste of their new management, I left within a month. The new management put a software system in place, that does not function, slowing sales and opperations down to a train wreck. I returned in 2010, and the company is now termanally cancerous. Beyond comprehension.

Advice to Management

ADVISE TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS....Your company is hemoraging. COMMSCOPE / ANDREW are now gone. Commscope felt TERRIBLE they had to terminate your contract. I tried at EVERY level to bring some common sense to management, but Johnny Walker conned you all, and it was really heartbreaking to those of us that VALUED our many years, and made us look like fools to our valued customers.