Huxley Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Huxley CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hypothetically - if you are a top performer - you could relocate offices/countries and earn a lot of money (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, training very good, definitely a good business to join for those looking for sales training (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, unpredictable (just like any sales role) (in 7 reviews)

• This can involve very stretching targets and long working hours (in 5 reviews)

"Terrible Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huxley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, I have nothingness positive to say.

Cons

Treated as a number, not as an employee. They sell you the dream of being able to make a lot money, but ask to see the commission structure. It's one of the worst in the industry. Only three or four people in the office make good money, the rest work 14 hour days for cents. The management team are not there to support staff at all, they only care about their bonuses and the place is full of British people, they do not promote from within. Literally a lmao awful place to work.

Advice to Management

You're in America, try hiring some of us.

"Do Not Work Here."

Pros

Everyone is young and loves to party so if you're into that you'll like the culture. Can be cliquey at times.

Cons

I hated waking up and going to the office every day. If you do well you'll know it and if you aren't doing well oh boy you'll know it. I was yelled at quite often in front of everyone. They would use tactics of embarrassment to try and motivate you to make more phone calls and do a better job. They should have spent the time showing us how to do the job the right way instead of just expecting it.

"A horrible experience that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy."

I worked at Huxley full-time

Pros

It was acceptable to make out with colleagues at Thursday happy hour events. You can swear all day long in the office. When you cry there will always be around one or two people who will console you because they just finished drying their own tears up. There are plenty of tissues for when that happens so I guess that's another pro.

Cons

From my very first day, this job was a nightmare. I was screamed at in front of my whole "team" and publicly embarrassed every day. The office is full of pompous egotistical maniacs who put others down to bring themselves up. I was cursed at, called stupid as well as many other horrible things. Your amount of calls as well as their durations are sent out daily to the whole office for everyone to see, and if you weren't up to par, you were not forgiven. If you do well, you're praised. If you are struggling, you get kicked to the curb. You are only valuable to this company if you are making them money, if not, you probably won't get fired but you'll feel like the kid who never got picked in gym class. This job was demeaning and I hated waking up every morning because of it. It was such a terrible experience that I had nightmares of my old boss for at least a month after I quit.
    Oh wait, there's more. Show up at 8:01AM, I dare you. One minute late equals a 3-5 days of manning the phones during your precious lunch hour. The hours are 8-5 but if you leave before 7 you are looked down upon, unless you're making a lot of placements. They do not believe in having a life outside of this company. Are there incentives? Sure there are, but a typical incentive trip is fulfilled with a disgusting amount of alcohol and colleagues making out with each other. It's like high school how cliques are formed regarding "office friends groups." Monday morning meetings consisted of me getting screamed at for not staying late to add managers off of LinkedIn to the system for me to cold call the next day. I talked to many "potential clients" who spoke very ill of Huxley and I would always agree with them in my head. All of the individuals who I started with no longer work there along with myself. There is a huge turnover rate because they scope out fresh grads because those are the only people who would enjoy doing this. Then they realize why they were hired and it all makes sense. If you respect yourself in any way, and don't enjoy being made fun of and called stupid, AVOID HUXLEY.

Advice to Management

Don't ask the individuals who are the problem, to go find out what the problem is. In the NY office there is more BS and corruption than the prohibition era. Get rid of those who think motivating their team consists of yelling at them and bringing them down. The only time it is okay to talk down to someone is when you are helping them up. Open. Your. Eyes.

"A lot of fake reviews here by managers"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Huxley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because they try to give a great sell on all how you can earn all this money. That you can go on some amazing trips all paid for. Organic growth.

Cons

It is expected of you that you work till 8pm and come in on the weekend and if you don’t you get fround apon, because you actually have a life outside of work.

They say they have organic growth but all the managers get brought in from overseas leaving no opportunity to grow into a leader in the office.

If you are eating after 9.01am or 2.01pm forget it, that is not allowed. If you are 1 minute late forget having lunch for the next few days as you will be manning the phones for everyone in the office. Going to the bathroom between 9-6pm is also scary.

If you would like to be verbally abused and cursed at for anything bad you have done, you would love this place.
    If you are not offended by being called the F and C word everyday for no reasons at all, this is a great opportunity for you.

Advice to Management

Change your style.

Huxley Response

May 4, 2015 – USA Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate all feedback. Based on some of what you've mentioned, it sounds like you worked here quite a long time ago. Our standard hours are 8am-5pm and we... More

"Unethical to the core"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Huxley full-time

Pros

good incentive programs (team dinners, happy hours etc...not $$)
    happy hours
    introductory sales training

Cons

cookie cutter approach to success
    "culture" is all surface level
    standard operating procedures produce animosity among colleagues
    extremely unethical way to go about headhunting
    transaction based recruiting rather than true business development with a focus on longevity
    micro management
    Little room for growth into management- they bring over people from the UK to sit on management teams

Advice to Management

success is in billing #s, not data entry

Huxley Response

Jun 3, 2015 – USA Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your feedback. In answer to some of your comments, we feel that our culture fosters a collaborative environment and supports our people... More

"Very Bad Experience working with Huxley more than 2 and half year"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Huxley as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I do not see any good things to say about this company

Cons

Working as contractor they sub lease your contract to other company.
    Do not pay your unemployment Insurance.
    Make tax deduction for NYC if you are working in other state.
    I will not recommend anyone to work for this company.. They play around to save the taxes.

Advice to Management

Pay your Taxes as per state rules.

"Zero Integrity, Micro-management, Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huxley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers. Hypothetically - if you are a top performer - you could relocate offices/countries and earn a lot of money.

Cons

- Expect to be managed by PHDs (Poor, Desperate, Hungry) with no vision nor strategy.
    - Expect to be micro-managed and pressured into favoring quantity over quality
    - Expect favoritism, bullying, and complete lack of integrity in treatment of employees, candidates and clients.
    - Expect to work a minium of 60+ hours a week for a meager base compensation, whilst only top 5% performers earn big cash
    - Expect extremely high turnover, this place is a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Get an education.

"Learn the business and skip out"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I've been working here for a little under a year and would have to say that they have fantastic drinking outings every now and then. aside from that, they have a training program that helps people learn some basics about recruiting.

Cons

Recently they had us write something positive about the company.. I don't think it's right to pressure people in order to make them change an opinion so here is mine...true and honest - no sales involved.

The company has us doing very mundane tasks when we first start and then immediately set these targets that consist of spamming out emails to clients. We are also asked to hit numbers and they say they will lead to results. If we hit the numbers and we don't get the outcome, they blame o. Our lack of desire to do the tasks.

The problem with Huxley is that there is always an excuse they create and that excuse never involves putting them at fault.

There are people that swear throughout the office and you are constantly being called out on stuff like a child in front of an entire group of people. There is no personal space AT ALL. you do sit elbow to elbow and there are very loud people who walk and talk in your ear as you're on a phone.

The director has his bonus based on retention and he's not very successful at the moment because people come in, get the job, and then realize what a nightmare the place. This place is truly a revolving door. I know at least a handful of people interviewing or looking to leave and this company better get out of town.

There is hardly room for advancement - always a ceiling since they bring overseas workers to sit in as management. The managers are constantly demeaning and disrespecting their team members.

Advice to Management

Signing out because this place needs some restructuring!

"Not a Rant Just an Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- generous vacation time in first year
    - good medical benefits if you stay long enough
    - you can make a lot of money hypothetically

Cons

I'm not on here to rant about why Huxley is an awful place to work but I think its only fair to share an honest experience of a previous employer so that others know what they are getting into.

"Best Places to Work For" is a program that required companies to register and pay high fees for consideration, so you have to assume that there are a lot that do not participate, there were very few on any list that I has ever heard of, compared to rankings from Forbes etc.

Firstly, one of the two positive posts below was written by a head manager of the office, which I guess would be alright if he/she disclosed that information but they didn't. Thats fairly characteristic of Huxley, there's a lot of grey area in regards to honesty and ethics.

In the interview process they ask a number of inappropriate questions --e.g. how much student debt you have-- and basically insult your background no matter what it is, in order to see if you're "tough" enough for recruiting. Its hours long on multiple days, and there's no level of confidentiality in what you say, it will probably be shared with other people in the office. Also, you are sold on incentives and not really told what a typical day will entail. It sounds like everyone makes tons of money and wins huge prizes but really only very few people do, and a lot of it just feels like telemarketing

If you do get a job, it really is all cold-calling and data entry, 10-12 hours a day, in a nondescript office, that is micromanaged in a way that I thought was really unpleasant. Time on the phone is paramount, you will get yelled at if you're not on the phone all of the time, all information is posted daily, you're constantly ranked against others etc. Some people really enjoy that competitive environment, I do not.

I understand the importance of punctuality and hard work. You are expected to work around a minimum 10 hrs a day and to work on weekends if you want to really succeed. Thats just the truth. If you are late even a minute you get penalized with covering the phones at lunch for three days. Nobody's sympathetic. You do also have to cover the phones late twice a month until 7 but you would probably be there anyways.

Few employers have any respect for recruiters, its regarded as a sleezy, overcrowed, manipulative professional sphere. Fewer will even work with Huxley because of their business practices, spamming emails has been particularly problematic.

The environment is not professional at all beyond the attire thats required. Its a very gossip oriented, high-school like place. If you keep to yourself and don't indulge you can be fine, but its difficult to avoid.

Management will most likely be rude and condescending to you.

I met a few people that I really thought were nice but ended up making disparaging personal remarks about me after I left, which I thought was classless and unprofessional, but essentially I wasn't surprised because the office environment was the main reason I decided to leave in the first place.

Its dog eat dog, and its not about integrity, be ready for people to be sneaky, moody, and deceitful to promote their best interest.

Advice to Management

I don't know that I have any advice to give only my own observations and some opinions, but most of what I said was purely fact. I'm not sure that elements of the office environment can be changed without fundamentally changing the type of people that work in recruiting.

"How do you feel about slavery?"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

- generous days off package
    - nice company events (i.e. nights out, Christmas party, etc.)
    - solid database of candidates and employers makes a recruiter's job much easier at Huxley Associates
    - strong training from SThree
    - on Fridays from 5:30 on the office provides beer ... but if you don't drink beer don't think you can leave early ...

Cons

- If you're even 30 seconds late past their 8:30/9:00am start time, don't expect to take a lunch break for three days (NOTE: your lunch break is the only hour you are allowed to be away from your desk all day) ... it doesn't matter if your train was late or your taxi was in a car crash the director will tell you should have been prepared for the things for which you could never have reasonably anticipated
    - If you're late from lunch expect the same treatment I've noted above
    - you can never leave work even a minute early, even for one night if say you have a special event that starts at 6pm or you need to catch a flight for a weekend away ... 6pm is the earliest you can leave without taking a half day off (and the days you will be able to leave at 6 will be few and far between as some teams expect their members to stay and work til 8, 9 sometimes 10pm ... and again don't expect on using that as an excuse for being a few minutes late the next day)
    - There is no privacy ... don't ever think you'll be able to receive a personal phone call at work (it just won't ever happen)
    - The office is incredibly noisy
    - Sexist/racist remarks are flung around quite freely ... if you're sensitive to such discrimination think about working elsewhere
    - The promotion structure does not ensure you get the best managers
    - Management is often woefully prepared to deal with anything outside of their comfort zone and thus often resorts to anger and fear mongering to bring employees down to size and assert their superiority

Advice to Management

The model for Huxley Associates may work in a European culture, however, you may want to think about serious changes to your business if you want to see it thrive stateside. Relax a little with regards to punctuality, rethink your compensation/promotion structure, and treat your employees better. You do have a service to offer and you do have some merits, but your merits as an organization are vastly outweighed by your detractors.