KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.6
Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker
1,086 Ratings
Pros
  • "flexible schedule for college students(in 194 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can pick up shifts(in 189 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management seemed to not care about the employees(in 114 reviews)

• "They hire you part time but expect you to work full-time with(in 101 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hy-Vee and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great place to work

Jul 13, 2021 - Courtesy Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment good people managers that listen

Cons

Fast paced environment occasional angry customer

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great first job for high school graduates/college students

Jul 18, 2021 - Grocery Home Shopper in Rochester, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

This was my first job, out of high school, and I honestly could not have asked for a better way to enter the workforce. As a part-time worker, I had flexibility around my personal life and college schedule. I actively pursued a positive relationship with HR during the entirety of my career with Hy-Vee, and this allowed me to gain experience in different departments, switch stores between my college town and hometown, and I was able to quickly gain the trust of management. Great employee perks, even for part-time positions. They wholly believe in giving every person an opportunity, including those who have disabilities.

Cons

I will say, the experience workers have in this company will likely come down to who the head managers are, as well as the respective store's owner. I started under great ownership, and left shortly after HR and ownership changed hands.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent place to work

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Two breaks a shift and good colleagues. Co-workers are good people. Work is not difficult. Access to food for lunch on-site.

Cons

Management can be mean and generally bow down to any Karen that comes through. Pay is generally low. Hours can sometimes be less than agreeable

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An ok cashier job…

Jul 1, 2021 - Cashier in Savage, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great with honoring requested time-off Cheery environment Some managers were nice and understanding

Cons

Sometimes it was apparent that training was lacking -- then you were at fault when you didn't know something that wasn't taught to you. Some managers would scold you for not standing up straight or slightly leaning against a table/desk when you've been standing and moving for four to eight hours. I think that's the most ridiculous part of working at Hy-Vee. If it was brought up to me multiple times I would have left cause it's such a ridiculous request for people who are standing all day. This is definitely something that applies to a lot of cashier jobs in America. (WE ALL WANT CHAIRS) Ok, there was this weird thing at the register where if you wanted to take off items over a certain amount of money (not much) they made you call a manager over to enter their code and approve the removal. This really slowed things down and usually, the customer didn't look happy. On busy days, this seems like something that could be remedied.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Delivered flowers and prescriptions. Would still work there of not for my severe Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Jul 19, 2021 - Delivery Driver in Lawrence, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is super kind. All the "veteran" employees who clearly knew the best way to do a job were all great at assisting other, newer employees. Everyone was very understanding and respectful and tried to make new employees feel at home.

Cons

Nearly all co-workers and managers were kind and empathetic, however, there was one manager (whose name I just can't recall now), but he seemed to enjoy making things difficult for me and second guessed all I did.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nice job, but not the most professional

Jul 22, 2021 - Overnight Baker in Davenport, IA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good bonuses and benefits, stable hours. Can work your way up to full time and to higher wages fairly easily. Reasonable workloads.

Cons

Managers often unwilling to work around illnesses or injuries, step in with problem employees, or communicate clearly. Equipment is sometimes old and broken.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Nice Job

Jul 26, 2021 - Floral Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun part time job, always lots of neat things to learn in floral dept. Great management and great company to work for. Nice work/life balance, they do a great job of listening to and accommodating scheduling needs.

Cons

Raises are yearly, but you have to remind your manager or HR when you're due for a raise or you probably won't get one.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Corporate Greed & Inner-Store Politics

Jul 28, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Independence, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Meet some good friends there

Cons

Get worked to the bone. Work every holiday. Have no social life. Pick up your Manager's slack while they leave at 2:00pm. Horrible hours.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Jul 24, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Winona, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good and nice coworkers that are fun to be around. The process is very easy and efficient in regards to hiring and beginning to work right away.

Cons

The pay is not the best and you will work if your availability is fairly open. It is very understaffed.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

PT Benefits Poor MGMT

Jul 27, 2021 - Cashier in Des Moines, IA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discounted Health, Dental, & Vision plans. Discounts on insurance, phone plans, and loans. 401k with employer matching along with quarterly bonuses, even for part time employees.

Cons

Management treats every employee like a number not an asset. Has not been a helpful smile in every aisle for years. The tone from corporate sets the culture of each store, which is, to run a skeleton crew, demand unreasonable metrics, & cut hours and positions when these sweatshop workers cannot meet corporate’s expectations.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,209 Reviews