Hy-Vee Reviews | Glassdoor

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to become a full time employee (in 71 reviews)

• Some of the upper management abused their power once in a while (in 69 reviews)

1. "N Dodge Hyvee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing People who truly understand what they are doing
    Great Customers

Cons

The company fills you with propaganda from the very first day. And management constantly talks about how it's a family not just a store. This might actually be true. But it's a family where several people work hard for nothing while the rest stand around and do nothing. There is little opportunity to move up if you don't kiss up to upper management. Which is an entirely different story. The scheduling is so tight and relies on people who really don't care to show up and they rarely do. So the rest of us who actually care and try pay the price while getting absolutely no incentive to do so.

Advice to Management

Recognize the people in your store who really try and dedicate a lot of their time to your store. There's a lot of jobs out there, and anyone looking for this level of job can find another one very easily. If you give the best of your employees little reason to want to stay they won't. The pay is backwards and the people who work the hardest make the same if not less than everyone else in the store. Your best part time employees shouldn't be leaving and making several dollars more an hour somewhere else. If you really want your store to turn a profit. Look deeper than the numbers. Realize that your best employees can operate like a well oiled machine when they're allowed to. But many of us got our hours cut way back when we depended on it. And many of us spent half of our shifts on a register, staffing the front end properly solves many issues.

2. "Terrible employer! Run from this place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are nice and uplifting

Cons

Management is greedy and not forthright. They insult the customers daily and they make fun of elderly customers.

Advice to Management

You are being watched and recorded, by the cashiers. Good luck with that.

"Department Manger"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and great employees

Cons

The upper management is horrible to work with. The bullying lack of training low morale. For a store that's supposed to
    Be employe owned we know nothing of how much we make or sell. The customer can run over the employees and upper management goes along with that. The language that management uses to the employee needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better! Quit the bullying, lying and train the employees. All of you management want the power over the other. Pleases, thank you goes a long way.

4. "Not the same company."

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great customers. Good employees. Clean

Cons

Employee-owned used to be the motto used to mean something used to make you feel like you were part of a team. Kitchen managers used to be on commission used to get part of the profits used to be a great store company to work for. Now store directors walk around treat full time employees managers like they are replaceable regardless how hard they work and what results they show. I know at least a thousand HyVee employees it's funny to me that people post on this and give him four stars must be part-timers.

Advice to Management

My advice to store directors perishable managers store operations managers GM managers remember where you came from you two where at one point at the low end of the scale.

"Assistant manager = glorified stock boy"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice employees at the store.

Cons

Random hours, work every holiday, never a thank you for your hard work, shirt and tie to clean and stock shelfs

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Way more Chiefs and not enough Indians in the stores

"Only look out for themselves"

Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on what store you are in there is a sense of family within the employees and department managers.
    Hyvee is fast paced and is always something new.

Cons

Hyvee does not take care of their employees. If hurt at work HR will undermine your compensation process by lying about time lines and what is needed to be completed. In my experience, the HR in my store was allowed to ask other employees to say that a manager was not hurt at work, thankfully for that manager the employee had some integrity and told the truth.
    Once your worker compensation case is proven to be true HyVee's insurance will delay all payments to doctors, insurance, prescriptions and will not return phone calls. HY-Vee will also delay any treatment that you are supposed to have along with not providing proper insurance information. This will lead to you trying to be reimbursed after having to run everything thru your personal insurance.
    HyVee does not care about its employees and allows HR in stores to make decisions that negate what trained doctors in the best hospitals in the US have dictated in order to try to get out of laying for an injury at work.
    This Is NOT a company that you will want to work for. It does not matter what position you are in, if that store does not have a strong Store Director with integrity you will not be taken care of.
    I loved my job and would have went back in a heartbeat if I could have until HyVee made it impossible and personal.

Advice to Management

Your HR managers in stores should be college educated in that field. It is a disgrace that an employee owned company would hire an insurance company that will not take care of their employees and the responsibilities that HyVee is instructed to complete.
    It is also disappointing that HyVee cannot practice what they preach and will let an unqualified HR bully employees and decide on actions that contradict what doctors have reported.

"Not so great to work at. Shopping experience is OK."

Former Employee - Cashier in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are helpful and nice. Easy to get shifts covered or forgiven if time off is needed. Flexible in schedules and pay is good for the job. Great for those in high school or college.

Cons

Management is terrible. They never do their own jobs and constantly bug the assistant managers or part time workers. Nobody there seems to care if you do or don't show up for shifts or arrive on time. They never fire anyone and that makes the work hard for those that do show up regularly. Hours are always being cut which makes work difficult when you are there. You'll rarely get to leave on time and always be asked to stay late. No benefits for working at the store either. Once a month you get a discount, and a slightly cheaper meal option is avialible while on break.

Advice to Management

Don't get angry at part time workers when you cut hours and they don't perform up to your standards.

8. "Not a good place to start as a teenager"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Milan, IL
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Milan, IL

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off when needed, if requested quickly

Cons

Rude managers, rude upper management. Do not care about their employees. Was told on numerous occasions I was a great employee and they wanted to promote me, but never even made minimum wage in the months I worked there. Treated like garbage, disrespected, may as well have been a janitor for the work I did. Cleaning parking lots as 6am, cleaning diarrhea off the bathroom floors.

Advice to Management

I know you're "employee owned", but maybe hire a cleaning service since you have to take workers away from their short-staffed duties to clean bathrooms and such. Very disgusting.

9. "Horrible!"

Former Employee - Salad Bar Clerk in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Salad Bar Clerk in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

no pros about this place whatsoever

Cons

no hours, terrible management across the store, lack of teamwork and communication within the store, in the salad department you have to do other departments work for them

10. "bad"

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

free food around the store

Cons

terrible manager that wouldn't listen

Showing 77 of 1,284 reviews