Hy-Vee Reviews | Glassdoor

Randy Edeker

1,270 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to become a full time employee (in 71 reviews)

• Some of the upper management abused their power once in a while (in 69 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful company to work for."

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbia, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly kind staff, guaranteed breaks, respectful managers, nice environment to work in

Cons

Truly cannot think of a single con!

"Helpful smile in every aisle."

Current Employee - Store Management in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Store Management in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Financially stable company who cares about it's employees. Fair pay with excellent benefits. If your willing to work for it there is definately room for advancement, especially if you are willing to move. In my experience Hy-Vee also does a real nice job of hiring from within for job openings. So if there is a position at another location closer to home, you have a fair oportunity at getting that job.

Cons

Being that it's retail it gets easy to put in some very long hours. This isn't a negative against Hy-Vee it's just what the job is. As long as you know this going in you'll be fine. You are rewarded for your time with a fair paycheck and good benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "The sky is the limit."

Current Employee - Food Production in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Food Production in Olathe, KS

Pros

Job security, chance for advancement, scheduling can be somewhat flexible, company still has a "small town" feel. Lots of autonomy at store level and department level. We have the ability to take care of the customer right then and there without having to drag several managers into the picture. Most stores are fairly new and clean with modern equipment.

Cons

Not all managers are "people persons", 401(k) match is given at year end instead of each payday. Stealing is about the only thing you will be instantly terminated for so some things go on that aren't always above board.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is speaking to customers and taking care of them because that is our #1 JOB. Also, make sure employees are treated with respect.

4. "Gotta Love HyVee!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Island, NE

Pros

A lot of career opportunities, not overly long retail hours, good compensation, can get time off when needed, good benefits and vacation time off, always someone there if you have questions and/or concerns, new stores are opening up, nice and clean work environment

Cons

Have to work some holiday hours, which is normal for retail though. Need to wear nice slacks, white shirt and tie every day

Advice to Management

none

5. "It was a stressful yet fun place to work."

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Olathe, KS

Pros

employee owned, good raises, good benefits, opportunities for advancement, lots of locations, friendly coworkers, relaxed atmosphere, nice managers, great kitchens and bakeries

Cons

long hours, sometimes the customers can be rude especially the older coffee drinking ones and sometimes the help is immature and lazy

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing and add more locations in arkansas, colorado, kansas, and missouri, forget about north dekota, nebraska

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Kitchen Clerk in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Kitchen Clerk in Rochester, MN

Pros

Hy-Vee employees look out for each other, I have worked at Hy-Vee for 8 years, I have seen the good and the bad. I started off as a bagger in high school. I am now in college and will be graduating soon. Hy-Vee has always been good at getting me time off when I need it, not always the best at getting me all the hours i want, but they do try. If the sales are not there... what can you do? Being a part time working going to college, I am gone for extended periods of time. When I can work, I am treated with decent hours, and people are happy to see me back. I have become close to many of my coworkers and supervisors/management. I feel valued and appreciated when I work there. Even though I do not view Hy-Vee as being apart of my long term career goals, I am happy to have worked their for the time I have. Pay is not bad, when I started I made more than most my friends at other places.

Cons

It is hard work, if you don't want to work, not the place for you. Some supervisors "shift managers" are idiots. Some coworkers are slow and lazy, but you get that everywhere don't you? Sometimes they have to many people on payroll, decreasing hours. There is a fast turn around, people come and go.

Advice to Management

Every employer has room for improvement. The part time benefit packages are a joke in terms of insurance. Listen to advice your employees are telling you, dont be afraid to admit you made a mistake in policy. Hy-Vee fresh is a saying the company lives for and achieves it in many ways, but we can do better, stop buying in frozen premade heat and serve food for food service departments although they are good quality, something about bagged mashed potatoes and mac and cheese is not appealing.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Good in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Good in Omaha, NE

Pros

Good customers.
    Nice employees.
    Friendly. Nice place to work.

Cons

Low pay, but okay raises.
    Too much training

8. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Starbucks Manager in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Manager in Ames, IA

Pros

There are many other friendly employees, high level of customer service, there is a lot of room for advancement as well.

Cons

You need to be very patient when it comes to dealing with people and issues that may come up , customer service is everything at Hy-Vee.

Advice to Management

They always are very thankful for your time and effort that you put it. Management always says thank you to you.

"Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Good pay, Time off when requested, management will work with class schedule, Friendly environment, Customer Service driven, Management who cares about you.

Cons

Pull from all departments to run the front lanes and carts throughout the day, Sometimes difficult to complete all tasks, Not always allowed the amount of time needed to complete your work.

Advice to Management

More checkers should be scheduled rather than pulling from other departments all the time because it delays the other departments which means they will need more hours and all could be avoided with just adding as little as one more cashier to the line.

10. "Great job throughout high school and college"

Current Employee - General Merchandise in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - General Merchandise in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Loyal employees
    - Flexible hours
    - Stress-free environment
    - Fun people
    - Company pride during spring time festival/holiday party

Cons

- All types of ages and personalities working. Some are good employees and some are not. Management won't discipline the employees that are slacking.

Showing 1,270 of 1,281 reviews