Hyatt Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
Cons
  • However, it can interfere with your work life balance if you don't manage your time properly (in 86 reviews)

• Long Hours based on Business ( comes with the industry) (in 112 reviews)

1. "Worst job I ever had by a landslide"

I worked at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Okay benefits, unfortunately the working environment would Drive you directly to one of two places, the hospital or the mental institution

Cons

-Verbally abusive and berating upper management
    -unfair to woman (Good ole' boys club)
    -no organization (left Hand never knew what The right hand was doing)
    -No development or training (I was in management and I had literally none)
    -I expected the park Hyatt to have their I' s dotted and t' s crossed, everyday was walking into complete chaos
    -this place was the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result)
    -I can't believe Hyatt even has "values and principles" its a complete joke...none are practiced by anyone, and management turns a blind eye to wrongdoings...or even worse participates

2. "Too big to really care about the employees who make it so successful"

Former Employee - Cocktail Server
    Former Employee - Cocktail Server

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as a cocktail server for eight years there and had seniority. I became very close with some of my co-workers and truly valued many, many of our guests.

Cons

Management didn't do enough to make sure all staff was treated fairly and compensated fairly. There was a definite bias on behalf of bartenders over servers which created a lot of tension, and when things took an economic downturn, co-workers often resorted to lying, cheating, manipulating, and outright stealing from each other. Nothing was done about it because they weren't stealing from the company (no proof) or from guests (again, no proof). To top it all off, Hyatt added an extra service fee to all large parties in addition to the automatic 15% gratuity that went to the servers and bartenders-- and pocketed it. Guests always believed the money was going to the workers, but it didn't. I never could figure out exactly how the company justified it. They'd already been paid for services offered, food and beverages, room rentals, etc. What was it for? Free money for nothing? Disgusting.

Advice to Management

Treat each employee as if they're valued and appreciated. Compensate them fairly and stop cheating guests out of money you don't deserve. If you add an extra service fee to the check, the whole thing should go to the servers who worked the event-- not to the company.

3. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Hyatt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free rooms at times, health benefits decent,

Cons

bad management, some of the staff suck and management keep them, no pay, hard work, people call out all the time so you will have to cook food, drive, check people in, answer phones, light housekeeping all at the same time in many shifts. no maintenance at night, so people call and complain to you about. small raises, but much work. don't appreciate good workers.

5. "Internship for my Bachelors"

Former Employee - Internship in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Internship in Flushing, NY

I worked at Hyatt (Less than a year)

Pros

(Nothing that can be added here.... )

Cons

We barely had a break to eat our lunch
    They would send us to housekeeping often
    They would be upset if we reached a minute late, after our 1.5 hour commute there
    We couldn't learn to use the PMS because it was too much liability, according to them, if we were to mess up.
    We stood by the door greeting people when they would enter/leave for hours

Advice to Management

Should not take on interns if we can't learn anything substantial towards our degree

6. "Gallery Host"

Former Employee - Gallery Host in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Gallery Host in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Hyatt part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. You are able to basically take off for how ever long you needed as long as someone else was able to cover your shift.

Cons

The new management is terrible. The do not have enough employees. They overwork you and do not hire new employees to cover the work load.

Advice to Management

Please hire better management across the board. And let them know the real description of what they will be doing.

7. "Cocktail Waitress"

Former Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Austin, TX

I worked at Hyatt (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, room for growth, amazing coaching and mentorship, great perks.

Cons

Dealing with angry guests. Slow times during busy season. Long hours on your feet.

Advice to Management

none

8. "Housekeeper"

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Meeting new and exciting people

Cons

Lack of supplies.. poor communication.. never a decent pay raise. No communication at all.

Advice to Management

We need new management

9. "Negative"

Former Employee - Event Planner in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Event Planner in Wichita, KS

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

front desk, restaurant, customers, CEO, Senior CEO

Cons

Negative Environment,Rude,disrespectful,no respectful of others needs, will call you a liar

"Don't bother to apply"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Moore, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Moore, OK

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel room discounts free lunches at times

Cons

They take full advantage of a at will state and let you go for no reason other than you aren't part of the supervisors favorites let you go right before Christmas they don't care what hard ship this will cause even thou you were doing your job but because the managment felt you weren't part of their little click you were and others did whatever they wanted

Advice to Management

Find supervisors that won't let people go because they don't fit in their little clicks base it on work not personal feelings

11. "Worst Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lombard, IL

Pros

Nothing! Rude! I could not say anything good about the company! The employees are rude, even if they do speak English, they say they don't!

Cons

The housekeepers! They are rude, even if they can speak English, they don't. If you are applying for a job with this company, you better know how to speak Spanish!

Advice to Management

Get new housekeepers! I have never been treated so badly in my life! I have worked for other companies, and have never been treated that way!

Showing 92 of 1,859 reviews