Hyatt Reviews | Glassdoor

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work - life balance is not easy to obtain working in hotels (in 97 reviews)

• long hours as with the industry (in 122 reviews)

1. "Housekeeping Manager"

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Benefits, location, opportunity, growth, nice pay

Cons

No life, long hours, tired,

"It's a joke"

Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, you get paid time off, free hotel nights, health insurance, not really a whole lot else frankly.

Cons

It's a very frustrating company to work for, especially at a union property. I've never met someone who could be bad at their job for 20 years and still have one but I have working for Hyatt. So on top of that there are sooo many layers of management that it's actually comical. I remember setting up a PDR event and we had, no joke, 2 managers per hourly employee in the room and they would often contradict each other so you'd end up doing, then undoing, then redoing the same thing several times. The work environment is chaotic but not in a good way.
         Equipment is constantly being stolen or taken but then they won't budget for replacements so your working with skeletal supplies. Anyone who has worked for this hotel for more than 5 years is a lost cause, they become compliant, they stop caring, they try to do the bare minimum then complain about how hard they are worked I mean I've literally never seen anything like it. It's a complete joke and on top of that the money and hours just got worse as time has gone on. What good are benefits if you can't pay your rent? And forget about a consistent schedule so you can get a second job, they'll never get on board with that.

Advice to Management

I mean I don't even know what to say. I'm not an expert so I'm not gonna say I could run any of this better, but this company is insane and with Airbnb squeezing you guys you need to wake up and get a game plan together and quick. This trimming crap around the edges and gutting hours for employees isn't gonna cut it. If you need to shut properties down to shove all the old time union people out that you can't fire you need to because you're just gonna end up in a service/staffing death spiral.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Hyatt (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good healthcare, 401K and guestroom benefits

Cons

Where do i start, the management is atrocious. People that do like Hyatt just drank the cool-aid and were "favorites" of a manager. Favoritism at it's finest here. I had such a repulsive experience and will never go back. Was bullied as an administrator and HR did and does nothing about it. Very clicky and rewards people that do not deserve the acknowledgement.

4. "badly managed"

Former Employee - Gallery Host in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Gallery Host in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hyatt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free coffee great guest

Cons

lack of proper management and ran by a very young group

"Night Audit/Front Desk - Boise, ID"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Boise, ID

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

actually none that I can think of...this is in the top 5 worst jobs I've ever had (honestly).

Cons

$11/hour puts you well below poverty level. I barely make enough to just cover my rent. Community Food pantries know me well by now. The audit/roll the business day forward part is bearable (if and when the proprietary platform 'Opera' works). But expecting ONE person to be responsible for the Bar, Kitchen, Front Desk, Guest Relations, Guest Requests, Room Service, Security, and the other 40+ simultaneous tasks "expected" of you...aka spinning over 50 plates at once is simply ridiculous (as well as humanly IMPOSSIBLE) by yourself. Culture is supportive of guests ONLY, you are only as good as your last 'mistake.' Other staff battle over the bar and food service because they get tips there (versus a mere $11 per hour Gross wages) and tips are not pooled to equally split among all shift members. It's every person for themselves, dog eat dog mentality. There are just too many problems to even mention here. I would NOT recommend this position to anyone...ever. But maybe if you are 18 or 19 YO with no education or other real work experience it might work for you? Develop a taste for Alpo with your Top Ramen noodles as you will be having that frequently. Also, get used to running on about 5 or 6 hours of sleep per day.

Advice to Management

none. This situation is just too far gone to even go there. Business models are greatly incompetent. If you want success, there must be at minimum, three people on the Front Desk at all times...24/7...Guests don't believe that there is only ONE person trying to run the entire Motel by themselves, who is handcuffed to the Front Desk area and cannot leave their post.

6. "housekeeper"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Houston, TX

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

meeting new people and learning new thing

Cons

never enough people to work

Advice to Management

need to keep enough people to get job done

7. "Worst job I ever had by a landslide"

I worked at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Okay benefits, unfortunately the working environment would Drive you directly to one of two places, the hospital or the mental institution

Cons

-Verbally abusive and berating upper management
    -unfair to woman (Good ole' boys club)
    -no organization (left Hand never knew what The right hand was doing)
    -No development or training (I was in management and I had literally none)
    -I expected the park Hyatt to have their I' s dotted and t' s crossed, everyday was walking into complete chaos
    -this place was the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result)
    -I can't believe Hyatt even has "values and principles" its a complete joke...none are practiced by anyone, and management turns a blind eye to wrongdoings...or even worse participates

8. "Too big to really care about the employees who make it so successful"

Former Employee - Cocktail Server
    Former Employee - Cocktail Server

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as a cocktail server for eight years there and had seniority. I became very close with some of my co-workers and truly valued many, many of our guests.

Cons

Management didn't do enough to make sure all staff was treated fairly and compensated fairly. There was a definite bias on behalf of bartenders over servers which created a lot of tension, and when things took an economic downturn, co-workers often resorted to lying, cheating, manipulating, and outright stealing from each other. Nothing was done about it because they weren't stealing from the company (no proof) or from guests (again, no proof). To top it all off, Hyatt added an extra service fee to all large parties in addition to the automatic 15% gratuity that went to the servers and bartenders-- and pocketed it. Guests always believed the money was going to the workers, but it didn't. I never could figure out exactly how the company justified it. They'd already been paid for services offered, food and beverages, room rentals, etc. What was it for? Free money for nothing? Disgusting.

Advice to Management

Treat each employee as if they're valued and appreciated. Compensate them fairly and stop cheating guests out of money you don't deserve. If you add an extra service fee to the check, the whole thing should go to the servers who worked the event-- not to the company.

9. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Hyatt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free rooms at times, health benefits decent,

Cons

bad management, some of the staff suck and management keep them, no pay, hard work, people call out all the time so you will have to cook food, drive, check people in, answer phones, light housekeeping all at the same time in many shifts. no maintenance at night, so people call and complain to you about. small raises, but much work. don't appreciate good workers.

10. "Internship for my Bachelors"

Former Employee - Internship in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Internship in Flushing, NY

I worked at Hyatt (Less than a year)

Pros

(Nothing that can be added here.... )

Cons

We barely had a break to eat our lunch
    They would send us to housekeeping often
    They would be upset if we reached a minute late, after our 1.5 hour commute there
    We couldn't learn to use the PMS because it was too much liability, according to them, if we were to mess up.
    We stood by the door greeting people when they would enter/leave for hours

Advice to Management

Should not take on interns if we can't learn anything substantial towards our degree

Showing 100 of 2,057 reviews