Hyatt "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Hyatt Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 9, 2019

4.0
Pros
Cons
  • "Unexpected shifts and long hours(in 163 reviews)

• "Work/life balance will always be challenging in the hospitality industry where we offer services 24/7(in 121 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Friendliest place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've worked and many companies, but this is the friendliest place I've ever worked. Many people at corporate started in the hotels have hospitality in their blood and are a pleasure to work with. The work/life balance was excellent in terms of hours and with work from becoming more and more prevalent.

Cons

Just like any other company, Hyatt reorgs every couple of years, but I went through 4 different reorgs and they were bungled every time. The communication about the reorgs was bad or non-existent, reporting lines were still left in question after reorg announcements (sometimes for months), and there was little explanation of why the department was reorging. The pay is decent at Hyatt, but ask for what you want... when you get hired because anything over 4% annual increase was very rare (unless you were promoted). While better opportunities went to high performers, I wouldn't say Hyatt's bonus structure was merit-based. Everyone in the division pretty much got the same percentage of salary bonuses regardless of individual performance.

Hyatt2019-10-09

"Look here to work with a company that values you"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A culture of caring for each an every associate. From the top-down. Successful in creating lasting relationships with associates. Because of that people stay and put many years of dedicated service. Benefits are above average in the industry. Perks are discounted and free room nights. Discounts on Food when staying at other Hyatts. A strong focus on having a good work-life balance. Committed management.

Cons

Like all Hospitality careers, can be fast paced. Doing more with less. Always busy and never a dull moment.

Advice to Management

be flexible. Opportunities present themselves often and be ready to jump on them at anytime. Doing well in your position gets you far with Hyatt. Many opportunities open up and from one day to another your career can change if you are up to the challenge.

Hyatt2019-08-02

"AMAZING"

Current Employee - Event Planning Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great work life balance. really a "self-manage" job as long as you can get your work done and hit deadlines very easy going on doctor appts and such can use the gym on site can bring your dog to work very supportive management they really do change policies based on employee feedback

Cons

some of the clients you have to work with they promote a lot from within but the salary jumps are minimal

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

Hyatt2019-05-08
  4. "Good place to start at entry level."

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good to start at entry level. Work - life balance is good

Cons

Very poor career advancement. You will get bored after a while for doing repetitive tasks on a daily basis.

Hyatt2019-05-18
  5. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Event Sales Manager

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Work life balance is tough

Cons

Good Benefits and Comp Nights

Hyatt2019-04-20

"Lack of accountability, very clique-ish"

Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location, major hospitality brand

Cons

I felt like there was little room for internal advancement. Managers don't develop their current employees and often decide to hire externally which is very demoralizing. Most of my department left after being told they were not qualified enough despite meeting all the requirements. Managers and above are in cliques. On the off chance an internal hire is selected for a role, this has already been decided among the... "clique" before the job listing is posted. How can there be a healthy culture if directors are badmouthing the very people they work with? There is a nonexistent work-life balance. We were expected to work July 4th, Memorial Day, and Labor day. WHY? Raises here are abyssal and do not keep up with yearly inflation. I hope that eventually they catch on a realize people keep declining offers because their offers are weak. Brace yourself for 2.5% raises on a "good" year. Hyatt does NOT care for people so they can be their best, despite that being the motto. I would possibly recommend other areas of Hyatt, but stay away from Accounting/finance.

Advice to Management

Listen to and develop your employees. Stop spreading toxic behaviors via gossip and belittling of others.

Hyatt2019-04-16
  7. "sucks if you're a contractor"

Former Contractor - Digital Content Coordinator

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

good pay, good work/life balance

Cons

A hostile work environment with a lot of gossip. In my experience, they treat contractors as very disposable.

Hyatt2019-04-17
  8. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance, good culture!

Cons

a little bit slow paced

Hyatt2019-03-22
  9. "Overworked but good company with a fast paced work environment, community feel, and quick promotions"

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Great benefits, you can get a lot of experience across numerous departments and be promoted from within quickly.

Cons

long hours and little to no work/life balance.

Hyatt2019-04-02
  10. "Phenomenal Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, networking, development opportunities, growth

Cons

none that i can think of

Hyatt2019-02-15