Hydrite Reviews in Cottage Grove, WI | Glassdoor

John A. Honkamp

"A work in progress."

Current Employee - Process Operator in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Hydrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime offered. Holiday pay. 401k matching. Roth 401k now offered as well. Profit sharing. Amazing health and dental insurance. Supervisors are now working to make changes in morale and work conditions.

Cons

Pay is decent at best compared to other industrial chemical facility process operator positions. Current morale of other operators is pretty low and cynical. Turn over rate is high. The perception of many people working here is that it is a stepping stone to another job at another company.

Advice to Management

Hold each other accountable. Keep promises. Listen to ideas for improvement.

"QC Chemist"

Current Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Hydrite full-time

Pros

You will never be short on work to complete. You will be pushed into running samples and tests you have never seen before and quickly become an expert on everything.

Cons

Everything. I cant go into further details for the sake of my job if someone finds out, but you better believe I will have a novel to update here. One of these days, someone will die here. They like to say safety is a primary concern, but it is not. Dozens of people were hospitalized this month at one of our facilities because the safety measures all failed. This is the only place I have ever worked that I have a legitimate fear of death coming to work every day. The pay is about 8 thousand less than other companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be involved in the day to day work. There is a picture of a boss holding a clipboard I saw the other day captioned, "I have no clue how to do your job, but my books tell me you need to work faster." This sums it up. Stop having HR make fake positive reviews of this place.

Hydrite Response

Aug 28, 2015 – Manager of Recruiting and OD

Thank you for the feedback. The safety of our employees and our surrounding communities is absolutely our number one priority. Therefore we invite you to please call Tom Miazga, Director of SQRA ... More

"Beware"

Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good entry level training and experience. A variety of different equipment to learn on and no major backlash for making mistakes.

Cons

This place is extremely dangerous. They hire people with education levels that aren't sufficient for the materials they are handling. I left the company due to a genuine fear that I would be involved in an explosion. I am still friends with people that work at the company and there have been several small incidents since I left but no major ones. I strongly believe it is only a matter of time until one occurs.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified people. Don't be so afraid of conflict and deal with the problems you know exist.

Hydrite Response

Oct 28, 2014 – Manager of Recruiting and OD

Thank you for the feedback on this matter. Safety is our number one priority at Hydrite Chemical Co. In fact, Hydrite’s safety record is excellent compared to chemical manufacturing industry ... More

"If you are a scientist read this review"

Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing (required 6 years tenure to be fully vested)
    401K and company match
    Solid team of senior scientists
    Well equipped analytical laboratory, stupendous atmosphere for learning the ropes

Cons

I worked as a QC chemist at hydrite for 2 years at the Cottage Grove, WI organic processing facility. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The company is run by an incredibly politically conservative family and they hammered this message home with company-wide daily e-mails. I felt this created an atmosphere hostile to discussion and openness that hampered work-related communication.

Additionally, this is a work place that did not stand by the work of its chemists. The QC laboratory was not taken seriously by other departments and there were multiple events where I was asked to repeat the work of other chemists because engineering didn't like the number. Occasionally this work was performed after a product had been shipped to a customer adding frustration to the wasted time.

The pay is LOW for QC chemists. Other jobs in the same region with the same experience pay about 30% more. Hydrite chews through QC chemists very quickly and their average tenure is typically less than three years.

There are no other job opportunities available for chemists at this facility.

Advice to Management

Laboratory Manager needs to stand up for critical thinking from chemists and stand by their results.

6. "Provides excellent benefits but usually below market pay. Good place to advance and get experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI

Pros

Excellent benefits, 401K, Profit sharing, dental, vision, healthcare plans.

Cons

Politics plays some role and can create a headache.