Hydrogen Group plc Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Pros
  • Its a great place to start your career, they have a good training scheme (UK only) (in 11 reviews)

• Nice offices in a good location (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Quite long hours and working week (in 13 reviews)

• Commission structure isn't great (in 8 reviews)

"All to play for"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working. 9-5 is unheard of in recruitment, and if you bill enough you can get away with it with minimal fuss.
    Transparent commission structure
    Incentives on the rise - free breakfast, corporate discount cards and discounted gym, dress down fridays (based on targets) etc.
    The Operations team proves that we've made the shift from old boy's club to meritocracy, internally promoting the Head of IT to COO was a great shout - someone who knows and actually cares about the business.
    Payroll team are great, run by a cracking manager who is always willing to help (and has numerous sweet treats at her desk).
    Social aspect - I doubt i'd have stayed this long if I didn't have a laugh with the people I work with. If you're not a recluse or social outcast you'll make some good mates. That goes for a few of the Seniors as well, who balance the professional / joker line quite well. Particular shoutout to the Director of Bus Tran.
    No KPIs.

Cons

MPAs are re-branded KPIs.
    Stats can sometimes take precedent at the expense of real work - but that's life.
    Occasionally have to stay a little past 5pm and get a slightly later train.

Advice to Management

"all to play for"

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review about your time here at Hydrogen. I completely agree that’s it’s the people here who really make the difference! Our staff truly are the heart and soul of ... More

"Hydrogen have a clear focus - entrepreneurial spirit"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Hydrogen Group to set up a new business. Hydrogen have a clear vision and strategy and I have found most people within the organisation to be highly collaborative and supportive. They are keen to support hard working, mature and entrepreneurial people. Looking to start your own recruitment business without the financial risk then Hydrogen is a great place to do this. Hydrogen's delivery teams are some of the best i have worked with in the last 20 years in recruitment. Hydrogen are actively promoting flexible working, so no need to be chained to your desk for extended hours. Do what is required and it is a very mature environment.

Cons

As with any recruitment company there can sometimes be less collaborative people, however the majority are.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the vision, values we stand for are managed down successfully through the business. Maximising opportunity through internal collaboration is key.

"Great place to start within recruitment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined as a graduate on the legal team. Training was very comprehensive and intense but certainly needed! Senior consultants are always ready to answer any questions you may have even though they're constantly busy.

Very close knit team and everyone got along really well. Loads of different personalities who somehow all work very well together!

Meritocratic environment - if you work hard and deliver results, you will be recognized and earn your well-deserved commission.

No one is under any impression that you will earn a huge commission in your first 6 months within legal and they are very encouraging! Very positive environment to be in.

Cons

Hours are long, but that's standard across recruitment and if you're in a high performing team with loads of clients, you naturally have more work to do.

Base salary is a little lower than competitors, but good commission scheme to make up for it.

The training experience can vary - I started with two other graduates and had a great time as we collaborated together, but if you start on your own it can be a bit daunting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep encouraging junior consultants to speak up.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

For over 4+ years I've worked in operations and throughout this time I've seen the company go through a lot of changes.

Working in a highly-demanding environment can be stressful, however the comradery I experience within my team makes my job a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Recently, ops and sales have been seated together and this is creating a really vibrant working environment. For the first time since I have been here the business feels more like a single unit rather than just ops and sales. It has also increased visibility so it’s nice to put a face to a name, especially with the new starters.

Great team manager who is very supportive and doesn't micro-manage. Instead, he allows you to grow professionally by putting trust in your abilities and handling situations by yourself, but is still on hand if support is needed.

Overall, I believe the company is improving and with a new CEO it will only get better.

Cons

Some managers and consultants need to be more accountable and take ownership of there work. Instead of pointing fingers and passing blame, perhaps they should adopt ‘the buck stops with me’ attitude.

Operations is equally as important as the sales teams, however more recognition is needed from senior management. Operations has a number of strong workers with big ideas, but the company isn't recognising this fact.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of staff. Identify a channel that staff can communicate their ideas to senior management for consideration.

"Moving on Up"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Great team members! working with senior members of the team to help understand the market better showing what you can achieve here at Hydrogen. The training has also been excellent, from our learning and development team to members of my individual team helping you identify ways to improve to ensure a clear career progression is put in place... in a fun but hard-working environment!

Cons

Past experience, some management decisions were questionable, and therefore I felt I was maybe kept 'in the dark' about what was happening but after some internal moves we seem to be moving in the right direction! eg.. monthly wrap ups within the team informing all team members what is happening not only in individual teams but also within the whole company.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone up to date with what is happening within the Company and after Cancun can NewYork be the next incentive?! :)

"Great opportunity (for those who want it)"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Taking ownership of your own work is encourage, leading to the opportunity to develop accounts
    - Strong team culture and friendly environment
    - Fair holiday allowance (increasing with service)
    - Support and advice available when required
    - Good Learning & Development Manager who is very approachable and creates bespoke course on request
    - Clear communication from Senior Management
    - Great environment to learn
    - Ethical workplace
    - Comfortable chairs!

Cons

- Database compliance can be slack, more onus should be placed on consultants to keep up to date
    - Contracted working hours are the longest I've come across in the industry

Advice to Management

- More focus on team based incentives

"Enjoyable place to work and moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience of the business has been really positive and I genuinely enjoy being at work. The company has grown quickly over the last couple of years and the culture is evolving with this growth which I feel is positive and necessary but I know some people have sruggled to adjust to this change. Having worked in a large recruitment agency it is refreshing to work somewhere where you ideas are taken on board and you feel less of a number and more valued within the organisation.
    Friendly and approachable senior management
    Black and white commission structure
    Nice balance of work hard and play hard culture
    Best training I have seen in recruitment
    Good reputation on the market place
    Strong business relationships and PSL's in place.

Cons

Need to continue to recruit strong people to move the business forwards.

"Recruitment consultant"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

"Hydrogen has huge potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

Cons

People have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Advice to Management

Get out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014 – Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

"Really good experience thus far"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upon finishing university, I had no idea what I wanted to do. In an ideal world, I would have entered academia. However, the anaemic pay and poor working conditions (even at many top universities) were enough to put me off this route. Unlike most of my university friends who chose banking, consultancy, the Big 4 and law conversions, I really had no interest in pursuing these options either. I found them generic (and still do).

So, it was by complete chance that I applied to Hydrogen. As luck would have it, I couldn't have picked a better place to start my career. Instead of dull and menial tasks, I felt like I was given responsibility from the very beginning. In fact, every month at Hydrogen thus far has been a great learning curve. I work with some great colleagues. They're supportive, witty and, most importantly, work hard.

I'm constantly given new targets and regularly receive feedback from my management team. As a result, I know exactly where I am in terms of my progression and what I should be doing in order to improve. I've learned that time-management is key to everything and to keep pushing even when you feel you're getting nowhere. Compared to my friends in larger corporates, I know that I've learned a lot more and have actually enjoyed the content of my work.

Will I stay at Hydrogen forever? Who knows, but I do think the company has a great culture and an ambitious vision of what it wants to be. So, to conclude, I'm happy with my time here.

Cons

There needs to be more emphasis on people using the Hub. Too often candidates are added and left completely or partially unskilled (having said that, the Hub training is pretty comprehensive and organised).

More company-wide competitions to encourage a sales culture should take place.

If people have to hit certain KPIs, for example, then this should be more standardised i.e. everyone HAS to make 40 calls per day irrespective of your practice.

I find the cultures between various desks and practices vary quite a lot. Some desks and practices are great. Some have really good team leaders and a mature atmosphere. Others, however, do not.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that the growth of APAC is also due to the economic growth of many emerging markets. It's no surprise that we're experiencing a boom there due to the disparity in talent between home-grown recruitment firms, with far less experience and capital, compared to foreign recruitment firms, like ourselves.

Get your act together when it comes to taking new consultants onboard. The gap between one consultant and the next is, at times, ridiculous. Be as picky with the sourcing of our consultants as we are with the sourcing of our candidates. Much more discrepancy is needed when trying to find consultants who actually have a decent work-ethic and who can quickly understand what their candidates do.

Get rid of certain team leaders. Far too many loud-mouthed consultants seem to have been promoted to positions of authority purely because they've billed respectably for a few quarters. Fortunately, my team leader is more mature, has a lot of experience and commands respect because he's actually good at managing people. However, this does not seem to be a company-wide phenomenon.

Jul 30, 2014 – Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. We're really pleased you chose Hydrogen too! You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course we take on board these comments, however we also ... More