Hydrogen Group plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Commission structure isn't great (in 9 reviews)

• Very immature working environment from 'Digital Researchers' to the 'Senior Management' (in 6 reviews)

"You get what you put in!"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hydrogen Group offers a challenging environment providing the structure to build your own book of business and brand to become a successful recruiter. I have seen consultants take home 100K worth of commission in no time – work hard and you will definitely reap the benefits! The company offers fun incentives to top performers, such as all expense paid trips to Ibiza and Tokyo to name a few.

There are a lot of driven, hard working people with a great sense of humour working here!

Cons

Some processes aren’t clearly defined as of yet or can take time to set up – getting agreements out or changes in contracts all need to go through the head office which can take a day or two with the time difference. People are generally helpful when asked though and with the various channels of communication the company offers, it is easy to just pick up the phone or schedule in a VC to discuss things with counterparts in offices across the globe. Employees are also able to log on remotely making it easy to get work done fast despite the time difference.

Turnover can be fairly high – the majority of people who quit so quickly do so because they do not understand the work involved to succeed in this business. If all you want is an average salary with easy to meet targets and an environment where there is no room for growth and development, I would recommend an easy non sales 8-5 job.

"Great company to start off your career"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Fun culture and environment. Surrounded by people with a lot of drive, deep knowledge, experience and expertise in the industry.

Cons

Managerial decisions have to often go through the London office so one might find it difficult to get tasks done.

Sep 5, 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your review.
    All the best for the future!

"My time at Hydrogen"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good group of people to work with. All focused on success and are also up for a laugh.

A good place to grow and develop.

Cons

none that I can think of. So far so good!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and keep improving with the values of Hydrogen

Jul 31, 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your review. Really pleased to hear it! All the best - Ian

"Glory days are long behind us"

Current Employee - Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We used to be a great place to work, with supportive senior management who contributed to the business and great incentives, until 2015 when the current COO started and is trying to turn what was a niche, specialist recruiter into his old company.
    Contractor care are great but over worked so things slip. IT are the best team in the company and hugely under valued.
    If you're going to join, join as a researcher, get your experience and leave, any level higher than that I wouldn't bother, you'll be valued and better paid elsewhere.

Cons

All the Directors bar two contribute nothing and piggy back off of their teams successes. One director even tried to steal a placement off of a consultant so she would hit her own targets.
    The hot headed COO changes targets and his mind on a daily basis. He's also just taken over Legal practice and everyone knows his 90s recruitment approach will not work in this sector. If you have to shout at and threaten staff then it's because YOUR management technique and business acumen is poor.
    New commission structure was rolled out this year which sounded good at first, but they conveniently kept bad aspects of it quiet hoping people wouldn't notice.
    Finance needs overhauling and they don't even reply to contractors a lot if the time.
    And yes I have raised these concerns and many more but nothing gets done.

Advice to Management

Don't bury complaints.
    Don't lie/tell half truths about changes or state of the company.
    Don't give back handers to/bribe clients and rec to recs. Dont steal NFI from consultants.

Sep 5, 2017 – CEO

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.
    The issues you’ve raised here are very serious, and I’d like to investigate them further. I’d appreciate if you could contact me... More

"You can't polish a turd!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few good people but they are drowned out by the ruthless nature of the aggressive and politically motivated ones.

Cons

This is a prime example of high volume/low value recruitment. If you want to be part of something that is below average then this is your place.
    They are living off crumbs of past success and the future does not look bright!

Advice to Management

Sharkish behaviour amongst yourselves sets the precedent.
    Incompetent COO of Sales. Only collaboration he's been involved in is backhanders to his Rec 2 Rec mates.

Sep 5, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback.
    We're committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees so I’m really disappointed to hear of your experience.
    I am determined... More

"Fantastic employer. Absolutely the right choice"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking, strategic risk takers and well educated across multiple functions. Great bunch of employees, all entrepreneurial, commercially astute and intelligent with high values.

Cons

Recommend some more focus on working on more team work when it comes to delivery. Entrepreneurial spirit is important, but shouldn't become our employees' purpose and therefore the company's by-proxy.

Advice to Management

As above

Jul 3, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review! All the best - Ian.

"Excellent Management and Great Incentives!!"

Former Employee - Digital Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Digital Researcher in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Great motivational schemes with loads of incentives for different people.
    - Listen to employee concerns and make changes to see if new office ideas might work
    - Fantastic bonus structure
    - Regular catch ups making promotion and career progression feasible and within reach within 18 months.
    - Interaction with CEO and staff who are at the top of the hierarchy

Cons

- If you don't like sales this environment is not for you
    - If you are entering as a digital reseracher some people find this a boring task but within 3 months you can be sitting with management on a sales desk

Advice to Management

Continue with the great incentives!
    Bonus strucutre seems to be working!
    Dont stop investing in your employees!

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your comments and feedback.
    All the best for the future.
    Ian

"Great people - real up and coming place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc (More than a year)

Pros

- Approachable senior management
    - Great people - enjoyable place to work with good socials
    - Great benefits such as 50% gym membership, discount card, in-house massages and free breakfast
    - Flexible working
    - Use of advanced tech (everyone gets tablets to promote flexi working)
    - Global offices with good city locations

Cons

None that I can think of

Aug 16, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review! Really pleased to hear such great feedback.
    Regards

"All to play for"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working. 9-5 is unheard of in recruitment, and if you bill enough you can get away with it with minimal fuss.
    Transparent commission structure
    Incentives on the rise - free breakfast, corporate discount cards and discounted gym, dress down fridays (based on targets) etc.
    The Operations team proves that we've made the shift from old boy's club to meritocracy, internally promoting the Head of IT to COO was a great shout - someone who knows and actually cares about the business.
    Payroll team are great, run by a cracking manager who is always willing to help (and has numerous sweet treats at her desk).
    Social aspect - I doubt i'd have stayed this long if I didn't have a laugh with the people I work with. If you're not a recluse or social outcast you'll make some good mates. That goes for a few of the Seniors as well, who balance the professional / joker line quite well. Particular shoutout to the Director of Bus Tran.
    No KPIs.

Cons

MPAs are re-branded KPIs.
    Stats can sometimes take precedent at the expense of real work - but that's life.
    Occasionally have to stay a little past 5pm and get a slightly later train.

Advice to Management

"all to play for"

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review about your time here at Hydrogen.
    I completely agree that’s it’s the people here who really make the difference! Our staff truly are the heart and soul of... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear and structured career path that aims to help you progress your career further

Great friendly atmosphere around the office

Great Ops team, notably HR and IT who are both extremely knowledgable and supportive whenever called upon

Colleagues, Senior Management right up to CEO level are all supportive and willing to offer advice to help progress

Employee Benefits are decent, free breakfast, monthly in house massages, various local discounts, hugely discounted corporate gym memberships and travel loans

Annual Incentives some of the best Iv worked with, including summer parties, trips abroad etc

Flexible working hours is a great plus

Cons

Can't think of any negatives at all. I love working here. Iv only wrote this many words as there is a 20 word minimum

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your warm feedback. It’s great to hear!
    Ian.