Hydrogen Group plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours so can be poor work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with average days 8am to 7pm (in 13 reviews)

"You get what you put in!"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hydrogen Group offers a challenging environment providing the structure to build your own book of business and brand to become a successful recruiter. I have seen consultants take home 100K worth of commission in no time – work hard and you will definitely reap the benefits! The company offers fun incentives to top performers, such as all expense paid trips to Ibiza and Tokyo to name a few.

There are a lot of driven, hard working people with a great sense of humour working here!

Cons

Some processes aren’t clearly defined as of yet or can take time to set up – getting agreements out or changes in contracts all need to go through the head office which can take a day or two with the time difference. People are generally helpful when asked though and with the various channels of communication the company offers, it is easy to just pick up the phone or schedule in a VC to discuss things with counterparts in offices across the globe. Employees are also able to log on remotely making it easy to get work done fast despite the time difference.

Turnover can be fairly high – the majority of people who quit so quickly do so because they do not understand the work involved to succeed in this business. If all you want is an average salary with easy to meet targets and an environment where there is no room for growth and development, I would recommend an easy non sales 8-5 job.

2. "At least purple is a nice enough colour"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

- Training used to be good (but then the decent trainer left.)
    - Purple is a nice colour.
    - The location is an excellent city location.
    - I've heard other practices are better run.
    - CEO seems well meaning.
    - They don't have KPIs.....just another fancy name for KPI's.

Cons

- Flexible working doesn't mean flexible, management make a lot of noise about various initiatives but it's amazing how many of them are just for show.
    - Incentives have been cut. Cost cutting means that most of the 'perks' of working in recruitment have been severely diminished i.e. top billers lunches etc. They even got rid of the coffee machines.
    - Waste of time coming into the business as an inexperienced first jobber. They now make you start on a really low basic salary (anything under 20k is criminal in London), and insist that you work your way up a very long ladder to even have the privilege of calling yourself a Consultant.
    - Very immature working environment from 'Digital Researchers' to the 'Senior Management'. Shocking behaviour and language is tolerated.
    - Senior Management, TL's etc will put themselves first over their team. Meaning a lot of people leave.
    - They don't seem to have a HR department just a series of very incompetent grumpy temps (?), contractors (?), who knows.

Advice to Management

Get management that want to develop staff not tread on them to make money. Start cracking down on abysmal behaviour and shoddy recruitment practices. Just put KPI's in place - so much more transparent. Also stop reporting reviews that are less than favourable in order to get them removed - shambles.

3. "Approach with caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location (two minutes from Monument station)
    Opportunities to change roles internally (sometimes, if it's cheaper for the company)
    Opportunities to work remotely (sometimes, depending on role)

Cons

Unprofessional behaviour (displayed both inside and outside of the office)
    Lack of career progression
    Hard to ignore favouritism
    Lack of bonuses, compensation and minor salary increases (almost non existent for operations staff)

Advice to Management

I would recommend spending more time on treating staff better rather than spouting all these deceitful messages about how great it is to work for Hydrogen. If you could retain talent then maybe people would take more notice and you wouldn't now be in the situation you are in.

Jan 16, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and for your work over eight years. As a business we have had low turnover of staff in operations and sometimes moving on is the best thing to get progression. I do hope in ... More

"Hydrogen have a clear focus - entrepreneurial spirit"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Hydrogen Group to set up a new business. Hydrogen have a clear vision and strategy and I have found most people within the organisation to be highly collaborative and supportive. They are keen to support hard working, mature and entrepreneurial people. Looking to start your own recruitment business without the financial risk then Hydrogen is a great place to do this. Hydrogen's delivery teams are some of the best i have worked with in the last 20 years in recruitment. Hydrogen are actively promoting flexible working, so no need to be chained to your desk for extended hours. Do what is required and it is a very mature environment.

Cons

As with any recruitment company there can sometimes be less collaborative people, however the majority are.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the vision, values we stand for are managed down successfully through the business. Maximising opportunity through internal collaboration is key.

"Started off as a great place to work and ended up being somewhere I wouldn't recommend even to the most desperate"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, sociable place to work
    Hours of work were not too bad, what you would expect from recruitment
    Good location

Cons

Management are completely uninterested in supporting or developing individuals within their team, everything is about making themselves look good. There are an awful lot of unnecessary staff with people who are in roles that clearly shouldn't be. It's a company with no loyalty, no interest in what you're doing daily and a place that seems to be going downhill rather quickly! The HR team are also laughable, quite often patronising and do not seem to know what to do next in order to help improve things, constant restructuring! Training needs to be massively improved! Just generally not a good place to work and would not recommend at all.

Nov 23, 2016 – marketing coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees, so I am disappointed to hear about your experience. We value and ... More

"The Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good training for entry level staff

Cons

Uninspiring leadership
    Unclear career development structure
    Highly political culture

Advice to Management

Hydrogen used to be a fantastic place to work but, due to poor strategic decision making and a lack of investment in the internal talent already at it's disposal, the company has lost the edge that made it great; this is evident in the fact that hardly any of the staff that were with the business 5 years ago are there today. Now, following mass-redundancies, poor financial results, and continual restructuring, it is not an organisation I would recommend to anyone trying to build a successful career in recruitment

Nov 7, 2016 – marketing coordinator

I’m sorry to hear that your experience at Hydrogen was not what it should have been. The company has indeed gone through a lot of change in the last few years. When I took over as CEO, like you, I ... More

8. "Probably Not Again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly (most of them)
    Office situated in a great location (just off Monuments/Bank stations)
    Good experience for future sales position
    New flexible hours make life/work balance better

Cons

Very cut throat with constant rumours of rifts between teams
    Quite a childish workforce, with the majority of people being in their early 20's (admittedly including myself)
    Pay is below industry average and the bonus/incentive scheme(s) for many is no incentive, as it is the usual people taking all the glory
    'Open discussions' regarding change/ new processes, yet management has already made up their minds

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and take their opinions and ideas on board. They are the ones working in the field, so they are the best people to listen to when new processes/plans are being made. You don't always know best!

9. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Really friendly people and a fun place to work.

Cons

-Hours
    - Commission structure
    - Training/ Ongoing support

Advice to Management

Invest more into training

"Unemployment may be better"

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Location (two minute walk from Monumenf)
    - Offices (across 3 floors if I recall correctly. Nice kitchens which are fully stocked and each have fancy coffee machjnes).
    - Smoking breaks (permitted to step outside 3/4 times a day for a smoke)

Cons

- Everything.
    I'm only writing this to genuinely warn people before they start.
    I came to Hydrogen Group in Dec 2015 & left by Jan 2016 (that should tell you something considering it was the Xmas period and it's generally expensive).
    Anyway, I joined the finance practice and the first thing that puzzled me was the amount of (unnecessary) managers present. They had Associate a Directors, TL's, Assistant TL's, Head of Practices', etc. - just ridiculous. They were ALWAYS in meetings but never about anything practical apparently.
    Training is poor and a first year college student would think of a better training programs. Dragon Den style activities do NOT make you a good recruiter. Pointless presentations on Hydrogen Group as a company is very, very tedious.
    It was like a massive immature playground. People dressed any way they liked (unsure of what the dress code actually is), took ages on lunch break and some just simply never returned (management never seemed to care but then again they were normally in meetings), the smoking breaks were a massive distraction with people constantly getting up (I'm a smoker and still thought it was ridiculous) and the on boarding is non existent. Once you start, that's it - no more contact with HR until you're leaving I suppose. You're shown your desk, 'team' who are already in a clique and given your log in details.
    Huge and enviable client list but absolutely no business development is done. In fact, jobs which seemingly do not exist seem to be the ones chased.
    Witnessed two cases of 'back stabbing' in my ten weeks of employment here. Colleague lost out on a promotion / commission due to someone else claiming her placement (it blatantly wasn't) and the Manager, sorry 'Associate Director', done nothing. Needless to say she quit soon after that.
    The entire finance practice team from 2015 either left or got fired. I reckon most left and I was the first.
    Really, really, terrible place to work. I was a young grad on £20k basic salary + benefits but I still felt unemployment would be better than that mess.

Advice to Management

Honestly? Shut the company down and perhaps rebrand. Hydrogen gives every other decent recruitment business a terrible name. Shady practices, no actual recruitment done, no support, training or guidance and the management do not care what you do as long as you're in the office from 08:30-6pm.

Sep 1, 2016 – marketing coordinator

I’m sorry to hear about your experience at Hydrogen. The company as a whole, went through a lot of change in 2015 and I took over as CEO during this period so unfortunately, I am not surprised by ... More

"Excellent company to work for!"

Former Employee - Senior Internal Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very accommodating for flexible working
    - Clear vision and actions to support the delivery of that
    - Supportive both professionally and personally
    - Fantastic people and culture

Cons

- Not a defined career pathway for Operations staff however I think this is in the process of being more clearly laid out

Advice to Management

- Listen to your staff and continue in the direction you are moving in at present. Hydrogen is a great place to work and had it not been for my own personal circumstance, I would have stayed for the next 10 years!