Hydrogen Group plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Commission structure isn't great (in 9 reviews)

• Very immature working environment from 'Digital Researchers' to the 'Senior Management' (in 6 reviews)

"You get what you put in!"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hydrogen Group offers a challenging environment providing the structure to build your own book of business and brand to become a successful recruiter. I have seen consultants take home 100K worth of commission in no time – work hard and you will definitely reap the benefits! The company offers fun incentives to top performers, such as all expense paid trips to Ibiza and Tokyo to name a few.

There are a lot of driven, hard working people with a great sense of humour working here!

Cons

Some processes aren’t clearly defined as of yet or can take time to set up – getting agreements out or changes in contracts all need to go through the head office which can take a day or two with the time difference. People are generally helpful when asked though and with the various channels of communication the company offers, it is easy to just pick up the phone or schedule in a VC to discuss things with counterparts in offices across the globe. Employees are also able to log on remotely making it easy to get work done fast despite the time difference.

Turnover can be fairly high – the majority of people who quit so quickly do so because they do not understand the work involved to succeed in this business. If all you want is an average salary with easy to meet targets and an environment where there is no room for growth and development, I would recommend an easy non sales 8-5 job.

"A place to grow"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Hydrogen for 1,5 years both in the Technology Division - Perm and in the Life Sciences - Regulatory Affairs Permanent, both in a 360 role developing cold desks in EU markets.

I have had the best managers ever who have mentored and supported me all the way. Thanks to them I have been able to develop my leadership and self-expression skills further.
    I have learned from them by example how to be confident and at ease in a commercial role and how to win business in a truly consultative way.

Training is very effective and it is outsourced to former top billers developed into trainers.
    When something works it is delivered with training across the company.

Hydrogen is a global company and it is possible to join the Australian, Singaporean and US branch. Colleagues from these offices come back regularly to update us on their developments.

IT is very present with effective tools to facilitate our job.

People at Hydrogen are warm, switched on, dedicated and they own their work and results. If you have these qualities you will have a great time here.

I have let Hydrogen because I have started my own business in a non related industry and I definitely will make the management style I have experience at Hydrogen my own for my team within my own business.

Cons

They are working on Flex work hours, so they are a few months away (sometimes 2018?) from a better quality of life. For now Life Sciences starts at 7:30am and the day is long.

Advice to Management

I trust you will do an amazing job.

Oct 30, 2017 – CEO

Thank you ever so much for your review. I'm really pleased you feel as strongly about our amazing people as I do! Wishing you all the best in your exciting new adventure, creating your own business... More

"A good company if you suit recruitment"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

A great team, employees are friendly and positive. Great benefits.

Cons

They do expect a lot of their employees, the intensity can feel full on and overwhelming.

Oct 23, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Wishing you all the best for the future. Ian.

"All to play for"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working. 9-5 is unheard of in recruitment, and if you bill enough you can get away with it with minimal fuss.
    Transparent commission structure
    Incentives on the rise - free breakfast, corporate discount cards and discounted gym, dress down fridays (based on targets) etc.
    The Operations team proves that we've made the shift from old boy's club to meritocracy, internally promoting the Head of IT to COO was a great shout - someone who knows and actually cares about the business.
    Payroll team are great, run by a cracking manager who is always willing to help (and has numerous sweet treats at her desk).
    Social aspect - I doubt i'd have stayed this long if I didn't have a laugh with the people I work with. If you're not a recluse or social outcast you'll make some good mates. That goes for a few of the Seniors as well, who balance the professional / joker line quite well. Particular shoutout to the Director of Bus Tran.
    No KPIs.

Cons

MPAs are re-branded KPIs.
    Stats can sometimes take precedent at the expense of real work - but that's life.
    Occasionally have to stay a little past 5pm and get a slightly later train.

Advice to Management

"all to play for"

Jun 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review about your time here at Hydrogen.
    I completely agree that’s it’s the people here who really make the difference! Our staff truly are the heart and soul of... More

"Hydrogen have a clear focus - entrepreneurial spirit"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Hydrogen Group to set up a new business. Hydrogen have a clear vision and strategy and I have found most people within the organisation to be highly collaborative and supportive. They are keen to support hard working, mature and entrepreneurial people. Looking to start your own recruitment business without the financial risk then Hydrogen is a great place to do this. Hydrogen's delivery teams are some of the best i have worked with in the last 20 years in recruitment. Hydrogen are actively promoting flexible working, so no need to be chained to your desk for extended hours. Do what is required and it is a very mature environment.

Cons

As with any recruitment company there can sometimes be less collaborative people, however the majority are.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the vision, values we stand for are managed down successfully through the business. Maximising opportunity through internal collaboration is key.

"Reputation in Niche markets"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perseverance, hard work and good work ethics are often noticed and rewarded.
    Fellow consultants in the office are helpful and cooperative when collaborating. The Operations team is efficient with queries: there is always a solution for any situation. The working environment in Singapore's office allows one to work with different personalities and working styles.
    Consultants in niche areas are well respected in the industry by clients and candidates. Clients often seek for consultative advice in implementing their own policies.

Cons

Hours may be longer than usual but nothing unusual in recruitment.

Advice to Management

Interaction with team managers and consultants are consistent and will help in growth when expectations and deliverables are clearly discussed. Senior management has gone through changes and this can be effective in attracting new aspiring recruiters.

"Great place to start within recruitment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined as a graduate on the legal team. Training was very comprehensive and intense but certainly needed! Senior consultants are always ready to answer any questions you may have even though they're constantly busy.

Very close knit team and everyone got along really well. Loads of different personalities who somehow all work very well together!

Meritocratic environment - if you work hard and deliver results, you will be recognized and earn your well-deserved commission.

No one is under any impression that you will earn a huge commission in your first 6 months within legal and they are very encouraging! Very positive environment to be in.

Cons

Hours are long, but that's standard across recruitment and if you're in a high performing team with loads of clients, you naturally have more work to do.

Base salary is a little lower than competitors, but good commission scheme to make up for it.

The training experience can vary - I started with two other graduates and had a great time as we collaborated together, but if you start on your own it can be a bit daunting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep encouraging junior consultants to speak up.

"Happy overall"

Current Employee - Singapore in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Singapore in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Office at good location
    Nice office
    Good staff benefits
    Wonderful colleagues
    Supportive management
    Good training and development opportunities
    Able to learn and grow
    Open culture

Cons

Difficult to work with some people
    Lack of proper communication

Advice to Management

Listen to what the people commented and continue to do better.

"Don't mind getting up in the morning...."

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company to work for
    great environment and forward thinking company
    Benefits are good and career progression is excellent

Cons

Bonus money not as high has it should be

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing and keep your employees updated with the company's performance

"Good company!"

Pros

COO in APAC office has a great personality! Energetic. positive and fast paced work environment. Recently there has been more great benefits to be enjoyed by employees. Colleagues are nice and focused on their daily tasks! Good place to be in.

Cons

May be abit too statistical when comes to sales and KPIs but understandable as that is the nature of the business!

Advice to Management

So far great work!