Hydrogen Group plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours so can be poor work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with average days 8am to 7pm (in 13 reviews)

"You get what you put in!"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hydrogen Group offers a challenging environment providing the structure to build your own book of business and brand to become a successful recruiter. I have seen consultants take home 100K worth of commission in no time – work hard and you will definitely reap the benefits! The company offers fun incentives to top performers, such as all expense paid trips to Ibiza and Tokyo to name a few.

There are a lot of driven, hard working people with a great sense of humour working here!

Cons

Some processes aren’t clearly defined as of yet or can take time to set up – getting agreements out or changes in contracts all need to go through the head office which can take a day or two with the time difference. People are generally helpful when asked though and with the various channels of communication the company offers, it is easy to just pick up the phone or schedule in a VC to discuss things with counterparts in offices across the globe. Employees are also able to log on remotely making it easy to get work done fast despite the time difference.

Turnover can be fairly high – the majority of people who quit so quickly do so because they do not understand the work involved to succeed in this business. If all you want is an average salary with easy to meet targets and an environment where there is no room for growth and development, I would recommend an easy non sales 8-5 job.

"Hydrogen have a clear focus - entrepreneurial spirit"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Hydrogen Group to set up a new business. Hydrogen have a clear vision and strategy and I have found most people within the organisation to be highly collaborative and supportive. They are keen to support hard working, mature and entrepreneurial people. Looking to start your own recruitment business without the financial risk then Hydrogen is a great place to do this. Hydrogen's delivery teams are some of the best i have worked with in the last 20 years in recruitment. Hydrogen are actively promoting flexible working, so no need to be chained to your desk for extended hours. Do what is required and it is a very mature environment.

Cons

As with any recruitment company there can sometimes be less collaborative people, however the majority are.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the vision, values we stand for are managed down successfully through the business. Maximising opportunity through internal collaboration is key.

"Reputation in Niche markets"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perseverance, hard work and good work ethics are often noticed and rewarded.
    Fellow consultants in the office are helpful and cooperative when collaborating. The Operations team is efficient with queries: there is always a solution for any situation. The working environment in Singapore's office allows one to work with different personalities and working styles.
    Consultants in niche areas are well respected in the industry by clients and candidates. Clients often seek for consultative advice in implementing their own policies.

Cons

Hours may be longer than usual but nothing unusual in recruitment.

Advice to Management

Interaction with team managers and consultants are consistent and will help in growth when expectations and deliverables are clearly discussed. Senior management has gone through changes and this can be effective in attracting new aspiring recruiters.

"Great place to start within recruitment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined as a graduate on the legal team. Training was very comprehensive and intense but certainly needed! Senior consultants are always ready to answer any questions you may have even though they're constantly busy.

Very close knit team and everyone got along really well. Loads of different personalities who somehow all work very well together!

Meritocratic environment - if you work hard and deliver results, you will be recognized and earn your well-deserved commission.

No one is under any impression that you will earn a huge commission in your first 6 months within legal and they are very encouraging! Very positive environment to be in.

Cons

Hours are long, but that's standard across recruitment and if you're in a high performing team with loads of clients, you naturally have more work to do.

Base salary is a little lower than competitors, but good commission scheme to make up for it.

The training experience can vary - I started with two other graduates and had a great time as we collaborated together, but if you start on your own it can be a bit daunting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep encouraging junior consultants to speak up.

"Happy overall"

Current Employee - Singapore in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Singapore in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Office at good location
    Nice office
    Good staff benefits
    Wonderful colleagues
    Supportive management
    Good training and development opportunities
    Able to learn and grow
    Open culture

Cons

Difficult to work with some people
    Lack of proper communication

Advice to Management

Listen to what the people commented and continue to do better.

"Don't mind getting up in the morning...."

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company to work for
    great environment and forward thinking company
    Benefits are good and career progression is excellent

Cons

Bonus money not as high has it should be

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing and keep your employees updated with the company's performance

"Good company!"

Pros

COO in APAC office has a great personality! Energetic. positive and fast paced work environment. Recently there has been more great benefits to be enjoyed by employees. Colleagues are nice and focused on their daily tasks! Good place to be in.

Cons

May be abit too statistical when comes to sales and KPIs but understandable as that is the nature of the business!

Advice to Management

So far great work!

"A good way to start your career in consulting"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Learning and Development Opportunities, friendly staff, sociable company, good commission structure

Cons

Highly pressured environment. Constantly feel like you are being monitored (they monitor call times and number of calls)

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing, it's very motivational. Maybe ease off on analysing call times and number of calls - I used to email candidates and clients a lot and would get a positive response that way but there was always too much of a focus on my call data.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

For over 4+ years I've worked in operations and throughout this time I've seen the company go through a lot of changes.

Working in a highly-demanding environment can be stressful, however the comradery I experience within my team makes my job a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Recently, ops and sales have been seated together and this is creating a really vibrant working environment. For the first time since I have been here the business feels more like a single unit rather than just ops and sales. It has also increased visibility so it’s nice to put a face to a name, especially with the new starters.

Great team manager who is very supportive and doesn't micro-manage. Instead, he allows you to grow professionally by putting trust in your abilities and handling situations by yourself, but is still on hand if support is needed.

Overall, I believe the company is improving and with a new CEO it will only get better.

Cons

Some managers and consultants need to be more accountable and take ownership of there work. Instead of pointing fingers and passing blame, perhaps they should adopt ‘the buck stops with me’ attitude.

Operations is equally as important as the sales teams, however more recognition is needed from senior management. Operations has a number of strong workers with big ideas, but the company isn't recognising this fact.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of staff. Identify a channel that staff can communicate their ideas to senior management for consideration.

"Great"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Great Environment, good commission scheme and loyal client base.

Cons

The job is overall very good, however the hours are long and can be often difficult to keep up with life outside of work.