Hyland Reviews

Updated May 18, 2020

3.6
Hyland CEO Bill Priemer
Bill Priemer
Pros
  • "A healthy work-life balance is a primary focal point which takes most of the stress out of the 9 to 5 work routine(in 99 reviews)

• "Good Internship, great work environment(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance comes at cost of slightly lower pay than competitors(in 26 reviews)

• "Low pay makes me feel undervalued(in 18 reviews)

1. "Good Internship"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Internship, great work environment

Cons

Not being paid what your worth

Hyland2020-05-16
  2. "Hyland is the best place for so many reasons"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is always something new happening that is in alignment with the company operating more efficiently and effectively. My manager and managers at all levels that I have seen are focused on making sure the employees are happy and supported. The mission is very much in the foremost of their mind but the employees are certainly the most important asset at Hyland.

Cons

The only thing I can see as a con is there is a lack of standardization of processes but that is the nature of the beast. There have been many acquisitions over the years and they are reacting to that as best they can. The clients to which we have all have very specific requests and it makes it difficult to add to one standard package but like I said it is being addressed in a very thoughtful and effective way.

Hyland2020-05-12
  3. "Great place to work!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Hyland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, respectful managers, C-suite genuinely cares about employee work life balance

Cons

Training for new hires could be better

Hyland2020-05-12

"I still come back here once in a blue moon to see who’s holdin and who’s foldin. Working there was THAT impressionable."

Former Employee - Junior Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland full-time for more than a year

Pros

I made life long friends at Hyland. We are all scattered throughout the country now, literally spanning the east to west coast, but still keep in touch. Though I left Ohio years ago, every time we meet, we pick right back up where we left off. These people are amazing, and Hyland is fortunate to draw a crowd of people like this. The parties were good. Big on alcohol, short on food. Cheese platters were spilled all over the floor at the one Holiday party and people weren’t paying attention and walking on it, grinding it into the carpet. I was too inebriated to stop laughing about it that night and I still have the blurry pics. Bottom line is you’d do good here to launch your career post-college. If you’re given the opportunity and you have nothing better lined up, it’s a solid place to make a start.

Cons

It was painful if you have any creative inclinations - you will be EXTREMELY bored. The software was old and creaky. The problem domain is also uninteresting. You’ll be managing documents behind a web service layer... a kind of convoluted Explorer.exe and Dropbox mixup. I felt ineffectual working here and often doubted my abilities. I needed freedom, but there was only heavy, exacting process. The project I was working on was whipped together in the early days and didn’t have great foundations. Newcomers were paying for this by way of having to maintain things as they were instead of improving them (which would have meant rearchitecting the flow from the top). I sometimes felt like the software served the employees as a way to subsidize a big frat party, instead of serving as a useful/powerful tool for end users. I never confirmed it, but the suspicious alone was demoralizing enough. The Hyland diner was always overpriced. Yesterday’s leftovers, re-warmed on a “pizza.” There was also a spell of expired ranch dressing that gave everyone stomach problems for a week, in 2015. Always BYO-Dressing. The rest of the “perks,” you won’t use. The morale at the time was fine, but you had to believe in the company to think it was exceptional. Though as my two years there went on, morale seemed to be sinking. By the end, we were all propping each other up, drinking till incoherent in someone’s apartment, there was even crying sometimes. The inside of this place can be truly brutal, but it depends on who you know and the optics you’ve been granted. To those who feel like they are suffering, it can get better but you have to leave, and leave Ohio for good measure. Chances are that if you got into Hyland in the first place, it’s probably because you are some combination of smart/cultured/talented. You don’t fit in with what’s left of Ohio and the Great Lakes region. You never know where you’ll end up and what wonderful things you could be part of elsewhere if you don’t take the risk. The (parsimonious) operational methods deployed in by Hyland management are only part of the problem.

Hyland2020-05-18
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing growth opportunities Fair to adequate compensation - but numerous bonus opportunities Awesome people Fantastic executive management - really managed well ahead of the Covid pandemic

Cons

Hypersensitive young people - not terrible, but certainly presents a challenge.

Hyland2020-05-05
  6. "Good"

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good good good and good

Cons

None that I can think of

Hyland2020-04-26
  7. "Fun place to learn"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Hyland full-time

Pros

Really fun work environment, lots going on

Cons

Lots going on, seems so focused on growth

Hyland2020-04-24
  8. "Solid Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well run from the top . Flexible and understanding management. Surrounded by talented and nice people.

Cons

Salary is on the low side. Could be better.

Hyland2020-04-20
  9. "Great place to work, lives up to the hype!"

Current Employee - United States in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Transparency throughout the organization. Comes from the top down. The CEO dresses casually, has an open door policy and is open to suggestions. There are constant appreciation days for employees, and so many opportunities to be recognized. So many other amenities its tough to list. Its a great company to work for, for a reason.

Cons

Traditionally don't pay as much as some other companies, but for me the benefits far outweigh the small pay gap. This could be a con for those that don't take advantage of some of the great benefits Hyland has to offer.

Hyland2020-04-06
  10. "A great place to grow"

Current Employee - International Business Analyst in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hyland has a work environment that is unrivaled. There is no place quite like it. Incredibly kind and accepting people who are pleasant to work with. A healthy work-life balance is a primary focal point which takes most of the stress out of the 9 to 5 work routine. Advancement opportunities are very common to all employees including myself, a new hire and recent college graduate.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that it is a huge learning curve for new hires, but that is to be expected with any company.

Hyland2020-03-31