Hyland Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Developer

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Priemer

Pros
  • It is very laid back and you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great people make the company great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You pay for that work/life balance in your pay (in 11 reviews)

• If you don't drink the kool aid you're out (in 11 reviews)

"They're ok"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy workload, low responsibility, chill atmosphere

Cons

No money, hard to get responsibility and advance

Advice to Management

Pay R&D. You're getting what you pay for because the young novices in development just create a mess. You need more long-haul pros to hold the ship together, and you won't get them paying beans and moving everybody else into management.

"Great place to work...for some if you have the right last name or connection."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with the exception of managers and directors.

Cons

There's no chance for advancement, most upper level jobs have been filled with people that are related or very close friends of the CEO or previous CEO. Most are very unqualified and pretty inept. They want feedback, but be careful, its a trap!! When you really tell them what's wrong they will make your life hell to make you quit, or they will eventually show you out the door. Bill Primer enables this ineptitude because he's always telling upper management how great they are. If he was really serious about change, he will review and read and take action on all the employee evaluations. Stop enabling this toxic work environment Bill. Replace your managers with capable people and pay your employees what they deserve. In one morning morning meeting you said that salary is not the only way to compensate, well I don't see you skipping your bonuses or your multi million dollar raises. Stop being a hypocrite! Stop promoting people because of their last name or because they are friends with some directors. This is a bad business model and this company is going to fail more. The morale is very low, but keep buying t-shirts, to apace your conscience.

Advice to Management

Get rid of them!

"A Good Place to Start"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hyland does it's best to keep employees working hard by giving them benefits. They offer on campus dining, hair cuts, car washes, and work out facilities.

Cons

Many employees (current and past) complain about the wages, and I agree with them.

5. "Decent starting internship, but lots of growing pains"

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Westlake, OH
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of fun for interns - building is full of games etc. and plenty of events to get to know people. Individually people seem rather competent and driven in their work. Interns are given real work and projects. Not too stressful.

Cons

Pay was pretty bad. Sometimes it seemed like managers on some teams had no idea what other teams are doing. Lack of communication between these teams horizontally is a big indicator of growing pains.

UI/UX employees did not perform well, often making illogical decisions reflected in many of the applications. Hard to use many of their flagship applications without prior training, which shouldn't be the case.

Very slow moving in a field that is rapidly developing, clinging onto outdated Microsoft technologies and design patterns. IT requests for new software took weeks, even when software requested is completely open source and maintained by Microsoft...

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and you'll get better employees. If you pay higher then you can recruit from better schools. By the numbers there aren't that many CS majors in Ohio so you need to look elsewhere and start developing from the ground up. Your CEO should not be proud of the fact that because your company is in Ohio, you can pay people less.

Be more flexible and encourage people to embrace open source technologies like Microsoft has been doing recently. It's not just a fad.

Lastly, find some people who actually know UI/UX

6. "Good"

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Westlake, OH

Pros

Great work culture and communications with the senior management.

Cons

Nothing can be complained about for a intern.

7. "Hyland Software is a great company to work for!"

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Andover, MA
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Andover, MA

I worked at Hyland as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- great people
    - everyone is excited about the work

Cons

- No cons I can think of.

Advice to Management

- None

8. "Great Culture, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, Good place for starting your career. people are very nice. Good platform to learn Microsoft technologies.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to industry standards.

"Software Developer Standpoint"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are extremely helpful in tailoring a position to what you are strong at and interested at. The company structure is organized very well and everyone above you in the company actually deserves to be there. The perks at hyland software are amazing, I cant tell you how nice it is to bring dry cereal to work, get FREE milk, FREE coffee, and a FREE bananna. Then when you get coffee breath you can grab yourself some free gum to refresh. Their is a workout center and after your done they have clean showers for employees. The company is ALWAYS growing and the chance for advancement is always there. Its simple really... Do your job get rewarded. Company motto, "Work hard, play harder".

Side Note: A new facility is being built and it will bring in more employees and an even nicer facility!

Cons

Do not provide free nerds, sweetTarts, smarties. I love my pure suger treats... All they have are free M&M's... #Darn. The pay is about the norm but it'd be nice if it were slightly higher. No complaints other than that though...

Advice to Management

Keep on Keepin on... However, I would like to have more corporate events this year, I was really sad that corporate challenge was canceled and even though I am a lower employee and their are lots of us, it would be nice to sit down with some of the higher ups to get an idea of what our future could one day be like. This would be a perk though because from what I've experienced and heard this never happens. Hyland has an open door policy and I could walk in and chat but I'd rather it be like a lunch with a C-level or vp or something like that...

"Nice place for beginners but not good for long term"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good Culture
    - People are nice
    - Manager is really genuine and helping
    - Good exposure to Microsoft frameworks, coding and design standards

Cons

- Salary is much lower than Industry standards. Believe me I used to earn similar salary in my
      Internship tenure.
    - No investment in R&D.
    - Do not File Green card for International employees in EB2 category.

11. "One of the better places to work in the area"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hyland is a fun place to work. The people are mostly fun, there is always something to do outside work, and the work can be interesting.

Cons

Most, if not all of the senior people in on the software side are totally clueless as they have never worked anywhere else. They continually reinvent the wheel. Pay is often ridiculous, depending on who you are.