Hypertherm Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2020

3.7
Hypertherm President & CEO Evan Smith  (no image)
Evan Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Very slow decision making means they miss market opportunities because of indecision(in 5 reviews)

• "The salaries are not great, they try and make this up with profit share which is not guaranteed(in 4 reviews)

1. "MO1"

Current Employee - Machine Operator

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, excellent working atmosphere.

Cons

3rd shift is a massive challenge

2. "Solid Employee Owned Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Hypertherm full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits opportunities flexibility autonomy EO

Cons

traditional male culture needs improvement

"Not what it once was"

2.0
    Current Employee - CNC Machine Operator

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Adequate benefits package. Average pay for the area. A good profit share year can make the production floor pay more competitive.

Cons

1) Extremely toxic leadership across the board in production, at the lower levels. These are the type of people, with few exceptions and no exaggeration, that sit there doing nothing all day every day, right in front of their workers, in plain sight, yet have the gall to try to micromanage their associates. Production leadership, even though they contribute nothing of value, spend their free time (which is all their time) practically attacking the people who make Hypertherm 100% of its income, and it's insulting and demoralizing to say the least; and of course they make 50% more than most of their associates, which makes absolutely no sense. They sit there ALL DAY, laughing amongst themselves like joyful pigs at a trough, organizing football pools and checking email over and over and over. I'm not kidding when I say this describes about 80% of them. 2) An uncertain future. Hypertherm has zero economic moat. We make plasma or water based metal cutting tools. That's it. And you can ignore the wall full of patents. Nothing truly great has been patented by Hypertherm since Couch's original electrode. The technology is essentially the same. All it will take is one guy in a garage somewhere with a better idea on how to cut or form metal, and Hypertherm will be ruined overnight. 3) The lean and CIA culture breeds some dishonesty. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say this, that, and the other thing are increasing efficiency 10, 20, 30%, or more. It's almost all total lies, of course. These lazy leaders need to justify their jobs somehow, after all. Add it all up and over the last 10 years we're like 350% more efficient than ever before! 4) We hemorrhage workers to other companies on a regular basis. More and more work gets piled onto the good workers every year for no reward, and less and less gets asked of the Lead Operators and low level management. See above. Toxic leadership. That might be starting to change in some areas, but it's too little too late. We've lost a lot of good people already, and EVERYONE I know is on the lookout for other opportunities. (5) Outside hires always questionable. Hypertherm often hires its lead operators from outside the company, rather than promoting from within. This demoralizes the entire production floor on a regular basis. None of the outside hires have ever worked out well, so far. Just because someone interviews well does not make them effective in the workplace. And of course NOT ONE of these outside hires has any real idea what is going on in their area. I cannot recommend starting a career at hypertherm in production at this time. If you are just starting out, you are better off elsewhere.

Hypertherm Response

Human Resources

We’re sorry to hear this has been your experience, and this is not typical feedback from our associates. It's an exciting time in Hypertherm’s 52-year history as we continue to build upon our legacy of associate ownership, leveraging our core values to do so. We believe there is significant growth ahead, and we foresee many new opportunities and exciting challenges for our organization. We encourage you to connect with Steve M. in Human Resources to discuss this feedback or submit it anonymously using our Silent Whistle hotline. We want to work together to understand your perspectives and address specific needs in context of our priorities and transformation.

"Some great, some awful- in the end, not worth it."

Current Employee - Finance in Hanover, NH

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit sharing, stock, management team, some of the people.

Cons

Some people with power abuse it, rural location, lack of investment in IT and back office leads to inefficiency and waste.

Hypertherm Response

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your team. In our continuous improvement ownership culture, we take all feedback about our Associates’ experience seriously. We would love to better understand the situations you have described and encourage you to contact Jenny Levy, VP-People, Community, & Environment or Rob Masson, CFO directly.

"Hypertherm Assembler"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assembler

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of pros at this company. Good compensation, fair hours, and great working conditions

Cons

Stupid people are everywhere in the company.

6. "Hypertherm"

Former Employee - Information Systems

I worked at Hypertherm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

7. "Best Company to Work for in New Hampshire"

Former Employee - Test Technician in Hanover, NH

I worked at Hypertherm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hypertherm is the leader in it’s industry, and seeing how a company of this magnitude and quality operates is an experience in and of itself. I particularly enjoyed working with fellow associates who share the same ambition, drive, and enthusiasm to succeed as I do.

Cons

Wide variances in priorities that leaders on different teams place on associate development. This can result in decreased engagement, loss of morale, and increased turnover of highly talented individuals.

Continue reading
  8. "lack of commitment and non uniform cultural expectations"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time

Pros

few to little that all can access

Cons

not much help from anyone, no clear vision, no commitments

"Great place to work - if you have a degree from Dartmouth"

2.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can work in any upper echelon position desired: VP, GM, Director of Engineering, Director of Marketing, etc. Can create your own job description, regardless of utility! Get paid on the highest pay scale. Chum it up with your Dartmouth peers outside of work too! Life at Hypertherm is great if you have ethe right credentials.

Cons

Must have Dartmouth degree. All others need not apply.

"Fantastic Values"

I have been working at Hypertherm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong core values that are actually embraced by senior management, including no-layoff policy, shared rewards and profit sharing, technology focus, safety, and community/environment. Limited hierarchy and consensus-driven organization.

Cons

Not many - being consensus driven does mean that decisions can take longer to make. Shared rewards and no-layoff approach means that hiring is tightly controlled, and base salaries are lower than other employers.

Found 70 reviews