Hyundai Motor America Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.2
Hyundai Motor America COO Jose Munoz
Jose Munoz
Pros
  • "Good Benefits, central location in orange county, fun product(in 9 reviews)

• "This company is more than being about great product (which it has to the(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is hard for change or new ideas to be passed since everything must be approved by the HQ in Korea(in 9 reviews)

• "long hours and sort supply on vehicles(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong Company"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In times lime this, you find out how much a company cares about its employees and how financially sound it is. HMA is a great company that is very close-knit with incredibly hard working employees led by very intelligent and compassionate leaders. When other companies are laying off and furloughing its employees, HMA is hiring with a plan to get through these tough times and continue the momentum built during the last 9 months! I am happy and fortunate that I am a longtime HMA employee.

Cons

While you will be expected to care about your job and fellow employees, there are no cons that come to mind.

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to work, LOW LOW pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Amazing coworkers - Sense of proud of where you work - Supportive HR - Feels like family

Cons

- Sometimes, depending on which dept you're in, you feel like going around in circles - Too many last minute changes in executive decisions, mainly from HMC - LOW LOW PAY... can't believe recent college grads make more money than when I was at HMA... and I had 8 yrs of experience

"Go Anywhere but NOT Accounting/Finance"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fountain Valley, Orange, CA

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company events, some coworkers are nice

Cons

Management don't know how to manage, coworkers don't want to help, other departments don't know what to do, what more are you asking?

"Popularity Contest"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some new programs in place to try and raise the employee engagement scores. Airpods and $100 Visa gift cards for Christmas this year. On months we hit the sales number we get early release the Friday following the close (3 hours early). Company shut down at Christmas is nice.

Cons

The review system in place is completely unfair and based on an antiquated system developed in the 90s. Reviews are based on a "bell-curve" and HR forces everyone to fall into the average score, no matter how hard you work. Your manager may submit you for something higher, based on knowing your actual day to day work ethic and accomplishments, but HR calibrates your score based on the Executives decision. The major problem is Executives don't know the day to day of most of the employees. The only way they even know your name is if you are park of that "popular" group. You have to be lucky to get any kind of face time with the executives, and the only way you can do that is if you work for the right department. Otherwise, no matter how hard you work and how much you accomplished, you will still get a "successful" rating on your review, instead of a 4 or 5. It is very discouraging and instead promotes the behavior of nothing you do matters. This system also makes it very hard to get promoted within your own department. Most of us take on so much more than our actual job description entails, but it goes unnoticed. On top of the unfair review system, the raises don't even match cost of living. They don't have a separate merit increase and cost of living raise. There is no flexible schedule in place, no opportunity to work from home. The company lives in the past still. Other auto manufacturers and even our counterparts in Mexico and Canada have better employee reviews, culture and work form home policies! Maternity leave is a joke and only covers the bare min required by the state. The health benefits are expensive and don't cover much and the vacation time is lacking to meet the standards of other California employers who provide 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks per year.

Continue reading

"Stepping-stone company, at very best"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool cars, new technology, some great people. Their prices and tech have kept them in business. Without it, Hyundai would fail so hard.

Cons

Korean management is way too involved for US. HR is very VERY political and biased. Some managers/directors are not FIT to be leaders. Projects are late, done wrong, or just outright dropped/forgotten. The company runs so lean, that most of the time the senior management have very little clue about important details that they make the wrong decision all the time.

"Very Political"

I worked at Hyundai Motor America

Pros

Great product. Very good amenities.

Cons

Terrible, terrible, terrible employee engagement practices. No advancement opportunities because of archaic HR policies. No reward system. Worst place for young people. Please stay away and do something more meaningful with your life.

"Specialist"

I worked at Hyundai Motor America

Pros

Good for new college grad.

Cons

No advancement. It’s a place where your career comes to die. Older employees gets forced out or retire.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ample training and support from supervisors and HR

Cons

Pay is less than comparable positions at other companies

9. "Training"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People, programs are very good

Cons

Very lean company that can be challenging

"Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama Intern"

4.0
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time

Pros

Strict 40hr/week, good management and people

Cons

Sometimes theres nothing to do

Found 127 reviews