I Will Teach You To Be Rich Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ramit Sethi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Awesome place to work"

I have been working at I Will Teach You To Be Rich full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super smart people, fast paced and fun environment. Everyone's really supportive and force you to be at your best and continually get better.

Cons

Not ideal if you just want to put in 40 hours/week and then pack it for the week.

2. "Great for the right kind of person"

I worked at I Will Teach You To Be Rich full-time

Pros

If you pay attention, you will absorb a lot about the inner workings of a really successful info product business.

Cons

If you are looking for a super structured routine-based workflow, look elsewhere. Things change fast.

"Great People, Intense Environment, Growing Pains"

I worked at I Will Teach You To Be Rich full-time

Pros

The people were amazing. Remote work is great for people who like remote work (or horrible for people who don't)

Cons

Super scammy name: I never wanted to tell people where I worked or put it on my resume.

Major growing pains with scale

Sometimes metrics were (clearly) unattainable (e.g. no mistakes ever) and penalties harsh

"Marketing"

I worked at I Will Teach You To Be Rich full-time

Pros

Great people with a strong work ethic

Cons

Work-life balance is not great

"Lost startup feel"

Pros

-Working with people around the globe
    -Team meet-ups allowed us to travel and meet other team members
    -Work with a lot of top-performers

Cons

-Started to worry more about money than creating a good product
    -Added layers of hierarchy
    -401k plan had a very long vesting period
    -Flexibility is advertised but is not the reality

"High expectations, disappointing reality"

I worked at I Will Teach You To Be Rich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant, hard-working team members. Remote work allows for slightly more flexibility than a typical 9-5 job. The material the team puts out is world-class and top-notch. Most team members are incredibly helpful and kind. Monthly education and tech reimbursement that, while small, is helpful.

Cons

Oh man, I'm so sad to write this review. I've been a customer of the company myself since 2010, having spent $1,000+ of my own money on the products (and I've gifted the book to 5+ people). Joining the team I had high expectations and loved the company company, but after I left I was incredibly disappointed during my 2+ years with the organization. Here's why:

* Compensation is below industry standards, as seen for multiple positions and compared to data found on Glassdoor, Payscale, and Salary.com. Even after negotiating multiple times, the company rarely budges and I was paid 5-10% below market rate.

* In the 2 years I was there, there was only 1 title promotion given to an employee. You likely won't ever have the chance of a title change which is the very definition of a "dead-end" job.

* More and more team members are coming in who are unfamiliar with the company's products, especially at the executive level. The company is on the path to becoming a product factory where quality decreases just for the sake of more revenue. Meetings are now focused on "how much money did we make, how can we optimize the sales funnel?" instead of "what good are we doing for the world?" We saw this with a recent product where refund rates and dissatisfaction was abnormally high -- and I think this trend will continue.

* There's a clear divide developing between a high-ranking executive member and the rest of the organization. This dissatisfaction is real, and I think it will lead to a lot of really good leaders and team members leaving over the next few months.

* The are no volunteer or "giving back" opportunities supported by the organization. If you just want to work for a company that's focused on money, this may be the job for you. But if you want to work for a company where you have the chance to become more well-rounded and do good for the world, this probably isn't it.

* For a company that compares itself against San Francisco startups, their benefits package is extremely weak. Most startups now offer unlimited vacation, free movie passes, stock options, free meals, and more. I Will Teach You to be Rich does none of this (and their 401(k), while mostly strong, requires a LONG vesting period for company match).

* For most positions, it's a requirement to track time. This shows an overall lack of trust the company has in employees. I felt more micromanaged and tracked than I have in any other job I've been in.

Overall, I wish I Will Teach You to be Rich was a better company to work for. During the 2 years I was there, I felt mostly disappointment and saddened by the realities of working for the company. I'll continue to be a customer of their products but, when asked, I've told people they should not work there and will continue to do so.

"Smart team, working hard to elevate our education"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Handsome compensation, earnest, smart team working collaboratively to offer educational materials to improve our lives in the areas of finance, career management, and launching your own business

Cons

All team members work remotely, can be difficult to build rapport

Advice to Management

Be more accessible to your team, they admire their leaders and are eager to take on more challenges but require feedback in order to perform better