IA Interior Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 83 reviews

3.7
IA Interior Architects CEO David Bourke & Tom Powers
David Bourke & Tom Powers
Pros
  • "Passionate about wellness and taking care of the staff, managing work/life balance and career opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• "Great work environment - team is like a family(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Snow storms you will be at the office safety and work life balance is not going to be found here(in 4 reviews)

• "Long hours with little accolades(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Group!!!!"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time

Pros

IA offers a lot of opportunity for those interested in elevating their career and the design industry. As the firm continues to grow, there have been many initiatives created to foster individual growth and greater involvement with how the firm evolves.

Cons

No real downsides. This is a deadline driven industry so it's important for professionals entering the profession to be ok with that coming in.

2. "One IA"

Former Employee - Job Captain in Seattle, WA

I worked at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I started at IA NY on the Retail team for 2 years before moving to the Seattle office. My time here in the Seattle office was brief but I have to say that it felt like a long time, in the best possible way. No matter which office I was part of, or working with, each and every one of you have openly engaged in welcoming me with open arms. I was blessed with the experience to work with top mentors and leaders of our...

Cons

I don't have much negative things to report. My experience at IA was blissful and I would highly recommend others working with them.

Advice to Management

Sometimes management should focus on the employee's talent and potential and not simply focus on the employee's number of years. An employee with talent and drive can sometimes do more for the company so it's worth expressing their value to the company via compensation or title upgrade in order to keep them.

3. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at IA Interior Architects full-time

Pros

Great learning experience as an intern - was trusted to work on projects and different teams so I got varied tasks

Cons

It was fast paced and could be stressful at times

• "The good and the not-so-good about working at IA"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

1. For the most part, extremely nice people. 2. Pretty good work/life balance. 3. Creative group who takes pride in what they do. 4. Client-centric focus. 5. OneIA initiative.

Cons

1. Many long-term senior leaders seem to come from the "if it isn't broken, why fix it?" mentality. This is not a way to outpace the competition in a highly competitive (and commoditized) field. The organization would benefit from truly innovative thinking, disruptors, and strong leadership at all levels. 2. Limited career growth in some areas of the organization. 3. Corporate politics can feel like managing overblown...

Advice to Management

1. Don't keep senior-level leaders around or in the same position just because they have been with the company a long time. Demand more from them or move them along. We can't keep doing things the way we did a decade ago (or even 5 years ago) and expect to be successful in today's intensely competitive environment. 2. Insist on consistency across offices. I was told that my office has higher expectations around promoting...

• "Seattle Review - IA"

Former Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great clients and opportunities to work with designers and architects. Good benefits and office space. Staff was friendly and easy to work with in socializing and project collaboration.

Cons

Upper management in Seattle is cliche 'good cop bad cop'. In 2 years I spoke with them about my goals once. Lack of transparency with company well being. Lack of concern with employee well being.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my cross-office mentors, but I would never consider Kim P anything of the sort. I would offer her some leadership training or a position that doesn't involve people.

• "Small team, but mighty."

Current Employee - Environmental Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Small team, all hands on deck, tight knit relationship through out the entire team. Everyone gets to learn many things. Have great client and high profile, award winning projects. Strong sense of trust and positive growth.

Cons

High work load, some times with not enough time to work on design explorations. Some times you get great project, with low budget.

• "CEO Approval"

Current Employee - Job Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

David Bourke and Tom Powers have been amazing. They are confident in what they do and empower their employees to be better and work together

Cons

Don't get to see them enough

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communications with you staff. It is very important for individuals to be heard. Group and overall company statistics are great but to feel that you are there for each person is a great feeling. It is also important to keep in mind that our time and efforts are invested in the company. Having events are a sure way to connect with each other. I suggest team retreats to further that bond.

• "Great place to work"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Supportive environment that challenges staff and lots of opportunities for growth within the firm. Passionate about wellness and taking care of the staff, managing work/life balance and career opportunities. Supportive staff and co workers. Challenging clients and accounts provide a breadth of experience. IA has an AWS schedule so I can take alternate Fridays off, and yoga every week. There is a social group in...

Cons

One that I can think of.

• "Things I love about IA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

-working with very talented, generous and compassionate individuals -having supportive co-workers -work/life balance. I work an Alternative Work Schedule (AWS) which allows me to have every other Friday off -Yoga/Tai Chi Wednesdays! -massage therapist visits us quarterly -healthy snacks -THIT stands for Thank Heavens It's Thursday, company hosted event once a month

Cons

Nothing to report on cons.

Advice to Management

We are often very busy and sometimes forget to keep up with the human side of things. I believe we as a company which includes all employees not just management need to help promote a happy, healthy and friendly workplace.

• "A Company That Invests In It's Employees"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time

Pros

IA values its employees and invests an incredible amount of time and resources in them. The leadership encourages employees to get involved inside and outside the firm. They stand behind their commitment to individuals professional development and offer reimbursement for certifications. Having worked at other firms I can say this is something that sets IA apart. IA has a fun and caring culture.

Cons

Transparency can always be improved, it is something the leadership is actively working on.

Found 83 reviews