IA Interior Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
IA Interior Architects Co President/ CEOs David Bourke & Tom Powers
David Bourke & Tom Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Passionate about wellness and taking care of the staff, managing work/life balance and career opportunities" (in 5 reviews)

• "Ample opportunities to learn and grow" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Snow storms you will be at the office safety and work life balance is not going to be found here" (in 4 reviews)

• "Long hours with little accolades" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Group!!!!"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time

Pros

IA offers a lot of opportunity for those interested in elevating their career and the design industry. As the firm continues to grow, there have been many initiatives created to foster individual growth and greater involvement with how the firm evolves.

Cons

No real downsides. This is a deadline driven industry so it's important for professionals entering the profession to be ok with that coming in.

2. "One IA"

Former Employee - Job Captain in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Job Captain in Seattle, WA

I worked at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at IA NY on the Retail team for 2 years before moving to the Seattle office. My time here in the Seattle office was brief but I have to say that it felt like a long time, in the best possible way. No matter which office I was part of, or working with, each and every one of you have openly engaged in welcoming me with open arms. I was blessed with the experience to work with top mentors and leaders of our industry from Retail to Workplace who have taken a once abstract concept of “One IA” and made it evidently apparent that it’s not just words, but a true alma mater of the company (Imagine if we had an Alma Mater song: “One IA, yay, yay…♪♬♪ ”). Being able to work with 3-4 offices in under 3 years is what made the vision real for me and I applaud the number of intra-office collaborations. Without that level of exposure, my experience on the Architectural service side could never have been as rich as it was. Therefore, thank you. Thank you so much for all the lessons learned, for all the times I’ve asked a question out-loud to receive a response from Management instantly despite how busy they were, and for all the after-work events that ultimately brought us all together and made IA feel like a second home.

Cons

I don't have much negative things to report. My experience at IA was blissful and I would highly recommend others working with them.

Advice to Management

Sometimes management should focus on the employee's talent and potential and not simply focus on the employee's number of years. An employee with talent and drive can sometimes do more for the company so it's worth expressing their value to the company via compensation or title upgrade in order to keep them.

3. "Small team, but mighty."

Current Employee - Environmental Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Environmental Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small team, all hands on deck, tight knit relationship through out the entire team. Everyone gets to learn many things. Have great client and high profile, award winning projects. Strong sense of trust and positive growth.

Cons

High work load, some times with not enough time to work on design explorations. Some times you get great project, with low budget.

4. "CEO Approval"

Current Employee - Job Captain in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Job Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

David Bourke and Tom Powers have been amazing. They are confident in what they do and empower their employees to be better and work together

Cons

Don't get to see them enough

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communications with you staff. It is very important for individuals to be heard. Group and overall company statistics are great but to feel that you are there for each person is a great feeling. It is also important to keep in mind that our time and efforts are invested in the company. Having events are a sure way to connect with each other. I suggest team retreats to further that bond.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment that challenges staff and lots of opportunities for growth within the firm. Passionate about wellness and taking care of the staff, managing work/life balance and career opportunities. Supportive staff and co workers. Challenging clients and accounts provide a breadth of experience. IA has an AWS schedule so I can take alternate Fridays off, and yoga every week. There is a social group in the office that arranges monthly outings and get togethers for the staff.

Cons

One that I can think of.

6. "Things I love about IA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-working with very talented, generous and compassionate individuals
    -having supportive co-workers
    -work/life balance. I work an Alternative Work Schedule (AWS) which allows me to have every other Friday off
    -Yoga/Tai Chi Wednesdays!
    -massage therapist visits us quarterly
    -healthy snacks
    -THIT stands for Thank Heavens It's Thursday, company hosted event once a month

Cons

Nothing to report on cons.

Advice to Management

We are often very busy and sometimes forget to keep up with the human side of things. I believe we as a company which includes all employees not just management need to help promote a happy, healthy and friendly workplace.

7. "A Company That Invests In It's Employees"

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time

Pros

IA values its employees and invests an incredible amount of time and resources in them. The leadership encourages employees to get involved inside and outside the firm. They stand behind their commitment to individuals professional development and offer reimbursement for certifications. Having worked at other firms I can say this is something that sets IA apart. IA has a fun and caring culture.

Cons

Transparency can always be improved, it is something the leadership is actively working on.

"Project manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at IA Interior Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is nationally based, so there are always possible opportunities to advance to other locations if you decide and can be accepted. Fun clients.

Cons

Senior office management is biased, incompetent in dealing with employees, and manipulative. Egos are a part of everything they do. They only are concerned with promoting and branding themselves, while leveraging their position in the community for selfish gains. The work contributions of the employees are taken for granted, and heralded as the ideas of senior management. Long hours are ok if the so called leaders would be real leaders and inspire rather than dictate.

Advice to Management

Recognize what needs to be fixed and get it done for the employees sake. HR is well aware of the issues n Dallas, but fails to address. Too much obvious personal preference for those in director positions hurts the total office attitude. Chicago needs to be strong in their resolve to address, as teh director levels are abusing the positions and do not walk the talk.

9. "IA sounds flashy on your resume but..."

Current Employee - Intermediate Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intermediate Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers on your level, hands on technology and fun events. Safe environment to work at.

Cons

They care about your Revit skills more than your talent, you WILL not get promoted at least for 2-3 years so be careful for what level they hire you which mostly is junior since they always tell everyone they are not familiar with their standards which doesn’t make sense. If you are master at Revit you will be their favorite employee, they don’t care about their employee as much as they care about their “name”. They need an upgrade for some of their project manager since they are very old fashion and sometimes unprofessional. It’s a fast paste company so be prepared to work like hell for a week and then have nothing to do for the next 2 -3 weeks until the next job comes in. They usually hire people according to their project load which sometimes end up getting you fired for stupid reasons since their work load is less. They say is a life work balance BUT if you stay longer at work and work like crazy even though you don’t have much to do they will love you for it. Their projects are not creative at all and it’s mostly copy paste which they also know about it. They want draft person more than educated designers. It’s a corporate company more than design company. Their salary is horrible compare to other companies. If you are all ok with the above go ahead and apply and you will be successful and if not just turn around and apply for some other company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and value their opinion, don’t just take a note every quarter and trash it.

10. "Job Captain"

Current Employee - Job Captain in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Job Captain in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IA Interior Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great projects, trendsetting design, deep pockets clients.

Cons

Fast pace, not enough time!