IAC Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

2.6
Joey Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Good Perks (in 19 reviews)

• Fun work environment, busy office, smart and creative colleagues (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • in addition, there continues to be a huge lack of communication between different teams (in 6 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth; senior management is out of touch with the office; promotions are based on favoritism; compensation is not competitive (in 8 reviews)

1. "IAC Applications Product Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people.
    Fancy schmancy offices in Chelsea and Yonkers.
    Perks (summer Fridays, unlimited time off, diversity/inclusion projects, tuition reimbursement, etc, etc).
    The biggest pro is that you can learn about and run A/B tests, work with good data analysts.
    Not really a cut-throat culture, pretty much everybody is committed to doing their best and wants to make the products better.
    I’ve worked at other medium-sized software companies and this one’s the most stable/sane.

Cons

Product is not exactly “sexy” but the the process and transparency issues have improved noticeably in the last year and teams are now open to using the latest tools and methods that they weren't before.

"To the trolls..."

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks.
    Smart people.
    Lots of investment in people.
    You'll learn a lot about direct marketing.
    You'll sharpen your analytical skills.

Cons

Dining options in Yonkers are limited.

Advice to Management

This is more a response to the trolls who claim to be current employees but are so extremely critical of the company. I'm a current employee, and I'm NOT being asked by management or HR or anyone to write this. You'll just have to take my word for that. This is not a propaganda post, this is my opinion and my opinion only. I'm just sick of people complaining about a company which I think is far, far better than many of these reviews give it credit for.

Is life here perfect? No. There are flaws for sure. But on balance it's a great place to work, and it's a company which genuinely cares about its people, and which - if you have the right attitude - will teach you skills which are really hard to find elsewhere.

So to the author of the "Run, run away" review below (and others like it), I have a question... if you genuinely hate it so much, and it if really is THAT bad (which it isn't, it's good), why don't you get some self-respect and just quit? Stop undermining the work of your colleagues, many of whom have been here a long time and really care about what they do. People up and down the company are constantly trying to improve things from many angles, and it's sad that you are unable to recognize that.

Product quality is slowly but surely going in the right direction. Management seem to be trying to be a lot more transparent. I agree it's not always perfect, but it's way better than other places I've worked at. Ditto recognition... there's an effort to give people the recognition they deserve.

Seriously, many other jobs are available, so if there are genuinely no positives about this company, I'm just surprised you are still here.

Either that, or you are pimping out the best years of your life for some free snacks and summer Fridays... and if that is the case, then you may want to have a long hard think about what your long-term priorities really are. I wish you luck.

3. "Avoid this place! (For IAC Applications)"

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks
    Close to Chelsea Piers
    Close to the Highline
    There is a 20 word minimum under PROs but I ran out of examples so I am just typing words.

Cons

Where do I start?? This place is hard to take seriously. Everyone valuable has left or is in the process of finding another job or has already been laid off. The majority of management is a joke. Also if you look through these reviews you will notice some random glowing reviews and one petty one "to the trolls." I am PRETTY sure those were written by HR. That is the manner in which they deal with problems.
    (Look at the reviews under Mindspark Interactive. The company name changed to IAC Applications but they never updated the name on Glassdoor so people have been writing reviews under here.)

"Us "Trolls" - LOL - Silly Rabbit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

Nice office in Yonkers, some great people here (including the trolls), summer fridays and flex schedule, maternity leave.

Cons

Same old products, dependency on Google, chasing the next fix to stay ahead of Google and Browsers, management oftentimes clueless on soldiers on the ground and what we do.

Advice to Management

Advice, don't know if I have any that hasn't been said. While it's impressive that we have a diversity club and other events, reality is that people are still unhappy. To the poster earlier about "us trolls" here for a job, yes, many are and some are leaving without one but apparently you were one of the few that got promotions, so good for you! For the rest of us, the comfort of a good paycheck, good schedule and decent job is good enough, even if we have to put up with people like yourself who play like they are better than everyone else, yet smile to your face.

As for management, show your faces on the floor more, no one ever sees you. It will do wonders.
    As for HR and Debbie, keep the show rolling, we have faith, well most of us do.

"IAC Applications: Great company!"

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IAC Apps is constantly reinventing itself to stay ahead of changing times. This definitely creates a stressful workplace at times, but it also keeps skills sharp and our job market value high. Products are good, people are smart/nice, benefits are great. And free candy bars and cookies on every floor. Never boring, days typically fly by...

Cons

Similar to other internet companies, IAC Apps has no resistance to shutting down weak divisions and eliminating under-utilized teams so you need to stay alert at all times.

Advice to Management

Keep the staff better updated on big picture strategy shifts and company performance. Increase bonus pool payouts for non-executive staff.

6. "Good"

Former Employee - Dispatch Driver in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dispatch Driver in New York, NY

I worked at IAC (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good group of people in there
    Well run but very busy clean work place
    People want to help you out there

Cons

Very busy full on pushed to the max truck's out of date and all ways breaking down management don't have a clue

"Run far far away...."

Current Employee - Still Here in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Still Here in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours are great if you have kids or a family, nice office space, free parking, summer fridays.

Cons

Management on all levels are completely bias; From CEO(s) - why two? - down to all of their inner circle of executives, each of them will only promote the ones who think will follow their command without questioning authority so some day they can become one of them; The business is the business, it's ok, we still make good money here, but the people here are clearly unmotivated as most are looking and many are quitting.

Advice to Management

To the "boys club"; let's face it that they are all boys, not men, but boys club; its time to change it up a bit or you will keep losing people; but definitely keep summer fridays as this is why we are all here through the summer. Peace!

"Glory Days are OVER"

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sad to say that this is the list of pros I can think of....

Free breakfast and snacks and soda.
    Some decent people here.

Cons

Similar to what others said, management is in a bubble and have no idea that everyone is miserable or perhaps they are all ostriches and stick their head in the sand. Very possible.

Most employees are there for a pay check and the ones that are promoted basically kiss a lot of butt or are somehow black mailing their way to the top - you never know.

Even though they say they are "revolutionary" and coming up with new ideas and product lines, let's be real here - it's the same stuff in a new box with some perfume on it - it still stinks!

Advice to Management

Similar to others are saying; take your head out of the sand and realize that our office people are considering this a job and nothing more. No one will say it to your faces because they don't trust you or even worse are scared you will fire them. Ask around, I dare you, everyone will say they are happy.....peculiar dontcha think?

"Marketing Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed hours, good for a paycheck.

Cons

Things seem to be going downhill, there are many quiet layoffs, management is not communicating and everyone I work with seems to have 1 foot out the door and looking for the next opportunity. They also just forced everyone to come in on friday's when it was optional - it's not the reason the business is going downhill people!

Advice to Management

Take a clear look in the mirror - your employees are not happy and HR is not liked or trusted by many so they will not speak up.

10. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Online Sales Consultant in Union City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Online Sales Consultant in Union City, NJ

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that offers opportunity to learn and develop career sales skills. Great benefits and perks that most companies do not offer.

Cons

Very large corporation that does not offer opportunity for growth and promotion. Not a career oriented corporate atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunity for growth and development. More promotion within the company. More incentive to stay with company.