IAC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Joey Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • in addition, there continues to be a huge lack of communication between different teams (in 5 reviews)

• Short term thinking by upper management (in 8 reviews)

"Avoid this place! (For IAC Applications)"

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks
    Close to Chelsea Piers
    Close to the Highline
    There is a 20 word minimum under PROs but I ran out of examples so I am just typing words.

Cons

Where do I start?? This place is hard to take seriously. Everyone valuable has left or is in the process of finding another job or has already been laid off. The majority of management is a joke. Also if you look through these reviews you will notice some random glowing reviews and one petty one "to the trolls." I am PRETTY sure those were written by HR. That is the manner in which they deal with problems.
    (Look at the reviews under Mindspark Interactive. The company name changed to IAC Applications but they never updated the name on Glassdoor so people have been writing reviews under here.)

"Us "Trolls" - LOL - Silly Rabbit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

Nice office in Yonkers, some great people here (including the trolls), summer fridays and flex schedule, maternity leave.

Cons

Same old products, dependency on Google, chasing the next fix to stay ahead of Google and Browsers, management oftentimes clueless on soldiers on the ground and what we do.

Advice to Management

Advice, don't know if I have any that hasn't been said. While it's impressive that we have a diversity club and other events, reality is that people are still unhappy. To the poster earlier about "us trolls" here for a job, yes, many are and some are leaving without one but apparently you were one of the few that got promotions, so good for you! For the rest of us, the comfort of a good paycheck, good schedule and decent job is good enough, even if we have to put up with people like yourself who play like they are better than everyone else, yet smile to your face.

As for management, show your faces on the floor more, no one ever sees you. It will do wonders.
    As for HR and Debbie, keep the show rolling, we have faith, well most of us do.

"Run far far away...."

Current Employee - Still Here in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Still Here in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours are great if you have kids or a family, nice office space, free parking, summer fridays.

Cons

Management on all levels are completely bias; From CEO(s) - why two? - down to all of their inner circle of executives, each of them will only promote the ones who think will follow their command without questioning authority so some day they can become one of them; The business is the business, it's ok, we still make good money here, but the people here are clearly unmotivated as most are looking and many are quitting.

Advice to Management

To the "boys club"; let's face it that they are all boys, not men, but boys club; its time to change it up a bit or you will keep losing people; but definitely keep summer fridays as this is why we are all here through the summer. Peace!

"Glory Days are OVER"

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sad to say that this is the list of pros I can think of....

Free breakfast and snacks and soda.
    Some decent people here.

Cons

Similar to what others said, management is in a bubble and have no idea that everyone is miserable or perhaps they are all ostriches and stick their head in the sand. Very possible.

Most employees are there for a pay check and the ones that are promoted basically kiss a lot of butt or are somehow black mailing their way to the top - you never know.

Even though they say they are "revolutionary" and coming up with new ideas and product lines, let's be real here - it's the same stuff in a new box with some perfume on it - it still stinks!

Advice to Management

Similar to others are saying; take your head out of the sand and realize that our office people are considering this a job and nothing more. No one will say it to your faces because they don't trust you or even worse are scared you will fire them. Ask around, I dare you, everyone will say they are happy.....peculiar dontcha think?

"Marketing Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed hours, good for a paycheck.

Cons

Things seem to be going downhill, there are many quiet layoffs, management is not communicating and everyone I work with seems to have 1 foot out the door and looking for the next opportunity. They also just forced everyone to come in on friday's when it was optional - it's not the reason the business is going downhill people!

Advice to Management

Take a clear look in the mirror - your employees are not happy and HR is not liked or trusted by many so they will not speak up.

"Web Developer"

I worked at IAC full-time

Pros

Constant need for upgrading technologies.

Cons

Not good upper management. Need to work on people management skills.

Advice to Management

Please think more about your employees.

"IAC Applications: Political and non-transparent environment, plus incompetent management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IAC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met so many talented people during my 3 years working here. Unfortunately many of them have left, or thinking about leaving. The reasons? See Cons.

Money is okay, they have summer Fridays, Christmas - New Years shut downs, community services, etc.

Cons

Where should I start? When I joined the company, it was smaller, I worked harder but I was happier - there was limited politics and I was rewarded for what I accomplished. Now the company has grown so much bigger and it's practically IAC's cash cow. IAC corporate is paying a lot more attention to everything, creating a lot of politics and unnecessary layers.

After three years, I still don't quite understand the concept of having two CEOs - if either of them can't handle the company as a standalone CEO, why not find a more competent CEO? Instead, there are two CEOs, usually have different opinions in meetings and causing a lot of inefficiencies.

On top of that, Joey Levin supposedly hired the CFO for IAC Applications, who had no previous management experience but now is heading a team of 20+ people. He may have banking background, but he has absolutely zero people skill and still doesn't understand processes. On top of that, he’s the CFO who would bluntly throw people under the bus in meetings, asking very irrelevant or repetitive questions. Imagine that happening in almost every meeting.

The icing on the cake? HR would not help you if you go ask them for help. Two rounds of layoffs were handled poorly this year, not to mention when there are new hires, they paint a rosy picture when in fact the company’s financials are in questions. When there are problems, don’t expect HR to be impartial, they’d always side with the higher-up.

I can go on for more and more, but I will stop. Good luck if you are considering IAC Applications.

Advice to Management

Too many, but I know none of it would be even considered.

8. "PM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IAC (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy Firm and nice office.

Cons

Low Pay and messed up operations. No culture or values. Need radical improvement.

Advice to Management

Messed up operations. No culture or values. Need radical improvement.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at IAC (More than 3 years)

Pros

For IAC Applications only.

For the most part, people working here are smart and fun to work with. You also get summer Fridays, unlimited PTO, happy hours, etc.

Cons

Top management lack transparency even though in every company event they would keep emphasizing on transparency.

CEO of IAC placed someone as CFO here. Terrible management style and zero people skills (no experience in managing people, constantly throw people under the bus in meetings, ask repetitive and meaningless questions but don’t take any responsibilities). The existing finance team basically all left because they can’t stand the CFO. When management makes a bad hiring decision like this, it trickles down.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually listens to what employees have to say?

"search for mindspark reviews, you'll be surprised"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

Pros

The people there are smart
    The idea of free snacks and breakfast is nice.

Cons

If you want to see more reviews search for Mindspark reviews, this was the old name of the company before they changed it in December.

The company is financially struggling, and laying people off. Senior employees with several years of experience and new employees are being let go.

I was excited when I took this opportunity, traveled almost 2 hours each way, worked hard to prove myself, but one day without any prior notice I was one of many people they decided to lay off, and they did it in a very bad manner like we were guilty.

Job security here is bad and many have expressed that in their reviews, If you're looking for a company with job security look somewhere else. Had I known, I would've never signed the acceptance letter and looked for something else.

Advice to Management

If your company is financially struggling, you shouldn't be hiring new employees.
    And when you let go of people, at least treat them with courtesy, not disrespect.