IAC Reviews | Glassdoor

IAC Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, Good Perks (in 19 reviews)

• Fun work environment, busy office, smart and creative colleagues (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • in addition, there continues to be a huge lack of communication between different teams (in 6 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth; senior management is out of touch with the office; promotions are based on favoritism; compensation is not competitive (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good people, future iffy for some business units"

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

Nice, smart people as colleagues. Environment is modern and nice with free snacks and beverages.

Cons

There is no long term plan for success. Every year brings a shift to a "new business model" to try and find a solution to increase profits but they are not willing to make the changes necessary to perpetuate success in future years. Growth by leveraging acquisitions and when that is done, there is no fall back plan.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. They know more than you give them credit for. It is not a start-up mentality, the company is beyond that stage and operates accordingly. If you want to be a start-up be open to new ideas, shaking things up, and be nimble and mot be mired down in the process of things.

"IAC Applications: Political and non-transparent environment, plus incompetent management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IAC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met so many talented people during my 3 years working here. Unfortunately many of them have left, or thinking about leaving. The reasons? See Cons.

Money is okay, they have summer Fridays, Christmas - New Years shut downs, community services, etc.

Cons

Where should I start? When I joined the company, it was smaller, I worked harder but I was happier - there was limited politics and I was rewarded for what I accomplished. Now the company has grown so much bigger and it's practically IAC's cash cow. IAC corporate is paying a lot more attention to everything, creating a lot of politics and unnecessary layers.

After three years, I still don't quite understand the concept of having two CEOs - if either of them can't handle the company as a standalone CEO, why not find a more competent CEO? Instead, there are two CEOs, usually have different opinions in meetings and causing a lot of inefficiencies.

On top of that, Joey Levin supposedly hired the CFO for IAC Applications, who had no previous management experience but now is heading a team of 20+ people. He may have banking background, but he has absolutely zero people skill and still doesn't understand processes. On top of that, he’s the CFO who would bluntly throw people under the bus in meetings, asking very irrelevant or repetitive questions. Imagine that happening in almost every meeting.

The icing on the cake? HR would not help you if you go ask them for help. Two rounds of layoffs were handled poorly this year, not to mention when there are new hires, they paint a rosy picture when in fact the company’s financials are in questions. When there are problems, don’t expect HR to be impartial, they’d always side with the higher-up.

I can go on for more and more, but I will stop. Good luck if you are considering IAC Applications.

Advice to Management

Too many, but I know none of it would be even considered.

3. "PM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IAC (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy Firm and nice office.

Cons

Low Pay and messed up operations. No culture or values. Need radical improvement.

Advice to Management

Messed up operations. No culture or values. Need radical improvement.

4. "Great people, losing steam"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC (More than a year)

Pros

People, Flexible schedules, Location, and Benefits

Cons

Management, Lack of strategic vision, and Communication (there isn't any)

Advice to Management

Build morale. Be transparent in your communication.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at IAC (More than 3 years)

Pros

For IAC Applications only.

For the most part, people working here are smart and fun to work with. You also get summer Fridays, unlimited PTO, happy hours, etc.

Cons

Top management lack transparency even though in every company event they would keep emphasizing on transparency.

CEO of IAC placed someone as CFO here. Terrible management style and zero people skills (no experience in managing people, constantly throw people under the bus in meetings, ask repetitive and meaningless questions but don’t take any responsibilities). The existing finance team basically all left because they can’t stand the CFO. When management makes a bad hiring decision like this, it trickles down.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually listens to what employees have to say?

6. "Good overall"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IAC (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart and compassionate co-workers and direct managers. Interesting work and room to grow.

Cons

Too much change in strategy, volatile.

"search for mindspark reviews, you'll be surprised"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

Pros

The people there are smart
    The idea of free snacks and breakfast is nice.

Cons

If you want to see more reviews search for Mindspark reviews, this was the old name of the company before they changed it in December.

The company is financially struggling, and laying people off. Senior employees with several years of experience and new employees are being let go.

I was excited when I took this opportunity, traveled almost 2 hours each way, worked hard to prove myself, but one day without any prior notice I was one of many people they decided to lay off, and they did it in a very bad manner like we were guilty.

Job security here is bad and many have expressed that in their reviews, If you're looking for a company with job security look somewhere else. Had I known, I would've never signed the acceptance letter and looked for something else.

Advice to Management

If your company is financially struggling, you shouldn't be hiring new employees.
    And when you let go of people, at least treat them with courtesy, not disrespect.

8. "Old APN was great"

I worked at IAC full-time

Pros

2012 APN had a wonderfully supportive and cooperative team. We were not working with the most exciting technology. There is no great secret sauce. But the deals were fun to do.

Cons

Its gone. What it is replaced with is management that it is really difficult to trust.

Advice to Management

Be more honest about what the company is going through and how we can fix it or better yet....change the business model to do something new.

9. "Lead Engineer at IAC"

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

Great work environment.
    Good salary and bonus.

Cons

Short term thinking by upper management.

"Worst and the most unprofessional company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

- Most of the people I worked directly with were smart and friendly.
    - Free snacks.
    - They try to use the latest tools

However, I would not recommend it even to my worst enemies.

Cons

The higher management treated the rest of employees as herd of cattle. There is no transparency at all, so the work environment is bit creepy where you never feel safe and settled in.

The hiring managers painted the picture that the company is doing great and wanted to expand because they have a lot features and ideas to build. However, after joining and leaving my other full time job, the higher management decided reduce expenses by cutting on resources. So I was laid off along with about 30 others.

Even the lay off process was unprofessional and disrespectful, and shows that they only care about much they can keep in there pocket. Everyone was called into one meeting and given a 5 minute speech informing us that it would be our last day of employment.

Using cutting technologies was great. However, there was disconnect on the actual requirements and some of the developers worked as solo cowboy coders, so it was hard to make code reusability.

Advice to Management

It's just cynical to hire new recruits just to lay them off after a couple of months. So maybe you should consider that when hiring while company stability is questionable.

Very basic apps no longer works for making revenue, so you should work on the quality of your apps and make people want to use them instead of consider them as spam.

Management should be transparent and respectful of employees.