IAV "gifhorn" Reviews | Glassdoor

IAV Employee Reviews about "gifhorn"

Updated Sep 28, 2019

4.3
IAV Geschäftsführer Kurt Blumenröder
Kurt Blumenröder
Pros
Cons
  • "I was living in Braunschweig and working in Gifhorn which is 30 minutes by train apart (and the majority of the company lived in Braunschweig)(in 6 reviews)

• "(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "gifhorn"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to start an Automotive/Mechanical career!"

Former Intern - At An Engine Calibration Department in Gifhorn

I worked at IAV for less than a year

Pros

Variety in terms of things to learn! You will go to the test bench, work in an office and test many different German cars! There are team meeting once or twice a week where you discuss your project and show what you can bring to the table. All ideas are heard and its very democratic. There was even a strike that happened by the labor union and employees got paid higher. The management listens to their workers and you can guarantee a life-long career there if you want. They respect everyone that works there. Some of the things I did were using Uniplot to display and analyse data and graphs of emissions, use Uniscript to code, present work in team meetings, its very easy to ask people in different teams about their work and people give their time to explain, observe and assist in car calibration test runs by adjusting engine parameters on laptop using INCA software to optimize emissions and test many different cars and calibrate them. It’s a good place to start especially if you are looking for an automotive or mechanical engineering career. IAV works almost all the time for Volkswagen, so it is very easy to work and move your career there if you want. You just have to realize that Volkswagen are a lot more serious in terms of how you act, talk and dress compared to IAV which is very laid-back.

Cons

If you commute by train, some hours might be inconvenient to return back. I was living in Braunschweig and working in Gifhorn which is 30 minutes by train apart (and the majority of the company lived in Braunschweig). Some trains were 1 hour long because they involved a stop. The hours were somewhat inconvenient and the trains were sometimes late. This left me with little time after work to have a work-life balance. I think if you have a car it's a lot more manageable. Another con would be the fact that you probably won’t make the most out of your experience if you don't speak German at a fluent level. Some teams are a lot more diverse and you can get along with English, but my team only had 2 people who spoke English and the rest had a hard time explaining things to me. Another con that I can think of is as a calibration engineer you have to be ready to use different software and code a lot!! I don't like coding that much so I didn't enjoy that part. One more con, since I was an intern wasn't that bad for me, but I heard that your salary will not go up by very much. My manager told me that his starting salary and managerial salary. isn't as different as it would be if he was in America. Their salary increases by a lot within the first 5 years and then stays and increases at a much slower rate after that no matter how long you stay there. That's their system. But however, you do get a lot of different benefits in the German society and provided by IAV.

Continue reading
    IAV2019-09-28
  2. "The work there was the best thing in the whole area"

Former Intern - Internship in Gifhorn

I worked at IAV for less than a year

Pros

main task: solving problems, doing prototype developement

Cons

The IAV is under a great influence of VW Gifhorn isn't exactly the center of the universe so don't expect much of this small town

IAV2015-01-15

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 2 reviews