IBC Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
IBC Bank President & CEO Dennis E. Nixon
Dennis E. Nixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great training program for the tellers" (in 17 reviews)

• "One of the few pros is that if someone is looking to get their foot in the door to the banking world, it's a good place to start" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay for what you have to put up with" (in 42 reviews)

• "There is a high turnover rate due to low entry level pay" (in 27 reviews)

1. "Good part time job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX

I worked at IBC Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers always comes first no matter what

Cons

You must meet monthly goals

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at IBC Bank part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, good health insurance

Cons

Account points increase every three months

3. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at IBC Bank part-time

Pros

Get a nice training program

Cons

Pay is low compared to other similar roles

Advice to Management

Change the company culture

4. "Banker/Advertising Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Banker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Banker in Austin, TX

I worked at IBC Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training course into banking, marketing, and financial place was great. Great instructors.

Cons

Low pay rate, spend more money on gas, consistently demanding with branch/personal goals. Can't be shy to talk to people. Get use to the No's while canvassing looking for ppl interested in accts,

"Teller"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Houston, TX

I worked at IBC Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Found some awesome coworkers

Cons

Everything is a con. They treat you like you're some kind of slave who has to do everything top notch and if you don't you have consequences and the worst part is that they pay you so less. This company honestly thinks they are high class or something when it's one of the worst banks that doesn't even have many customers at all lol. They expect you to go out in the crazy weather to solicit in random business's which they call "blitzing" and then if you return back with no new accounts they question you. Like umm if you were to come to my business and talk to my customers I would kick you out too? Oh yeah and let's not forget, they transfer you to other locations without ever asking your consent and expect you to be fine with it and not say a word about it.

Advice to Management

They don't want you to advance. No matter how long you work there they will not give u any opportunity unless they favor you.

6. "first job at a bank"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBC Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent entry-level bank to learn about compliance.
    Nepotism/favoritism if your family has any kind of large account with IBC.

Cons

Their goal is not customer service, it's opening accounts.
    Zero work/life balance- you are expected to pitch everywhere you go.
    Their entire advertising presence in Austin is 2 billboards.
    It will be months before you are offered the opportunity to go full-time.
    Nepotism/favoritism if an employee's family has any kind of large account with IBC.
    Uncompetetive products with little merit.
    You will be asked to open financial products for yourself to reach branch goals.
    You will be asked to open financial products for your family to reach branch goals.
    Get ready to burn a lot of gas and put a lot of miles on your car.

7. "Loan Processor"

Current Employee - Loan Processor
    Current Employee - Loan Processor

I have been working at IBC Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helps you get started in the banking business

Cons

Low Pay, bad senior management

8. "It's a stepping stone.."

Former Employee - Market Trainer
    Former Employee - Market Trainer

I worked at IBC Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't really a lot of pros that come with working at IBC Bank. One of the few pros is that if someone is looking to get their foot in the door to the banking world, it's a good place to start. IBC Bank hires a lot of people with little to no banking experience as a teller or sales associate so it's a great place to get some experience. Other than that, if you're a college student they usually work with your schedule because many branches are open until 7 or 8 pm which allows someone to attend school and still work. Lastly, you get one full month of training as a teller or sales which makes you more knowledagble in your position, but also makes you more hirable at other banking institutions.

Cons

Oh where to begin...the biggest con is that IBC Bank does not pay very well at most levels of the bank. I couldn't tell you how many managers I know of that work a second job to make ends meet and as a manager of a bank, that's a disgrace to need to work two jobs. Due to this low pay, most lower employees who are not managers leave within six months to different institutions and to be honest, senior management doesn't care because there will always be people willing to work for the low wages they provide, and IBC knows this. Depending on which region you work, most tellers start out around 9 dollars an hour while sales around 8.75 and their reason for this is because of the "incentives" you can earn. While you can make a decent amount of money with incentives, it's extremely competitive and the incentives are not that much so you'd need to sell a lot to make ends meet.

Another downside to IBC Bank is there is no real room for growth in most markets. Most people who are at a management position have been at IBC for a long time and will never leave their position which leaves no real room for anyone below them to move up. The only real way to move up, in most markets, is to know someone at a high level and for them to "help you out."

When it comes to management though, again in most markets, there is no real leadership as most take the position for granted and don't really know a thing about how to effectively manage. In essence, employees are almost left to their own devices considering management isn't in the picture and serves no real purpose. You would that these ineffective managers would be reprimanded but you'd be wrong, nothing is ever done to those in a management position, especially if they have been working for the bank for a long time and when complaints are made, they are virtually ignored.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers and do away with only those that "kiss butt" getting a management position. There are many sales associates and tellers that would make far better effective managers than those that are currently in that role. Most importantly, pay your employees more than what you normally do and don't mask your low pay scales with delusions of incentives to make up for it. There's a reason why people leave within six months of finishing training and it's because you don't pay them well enough to keep them.

9. "Marketing Assistant"

I have been working at IBC Bank full-time

Pros

Good work environment, you make good friends and leaders are nice

Cons

Growth opportunities are low and I believe that is all

10. "Lacking Leadership"

Former Employee - Personal Banker
    Former Employee - Personal Banker

I worked at IBC Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training center did a great job preparing you for the field

Cons

no leadership - 2nd month working here the branch manager sent me back to training center only to be told by training center that I passed all my classes with flying colors and asked why was I there. Went back to branch only to be lectured by branch manager that this is my fault for making my manager look bad. When he was the one that sent me there...

Advice to Management

Employees matter