IBI Group Gruzen Samton Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Good place to network"

Former Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people. Learned a lot about all aspects of projects. Good place to create a wide network of colleagues.

Cons

Hard to advance. Not very organized. Too many partners. Raises were rare and very small. Pay was not very good.

Advice to Management

Don't try to keep people in low positions so that you can pay them less. Promote from within instead of bringing in new people.

"A Firm in Transition"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Architect in New York, NY

I worked at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBI Group Gruzen Samton is a firm with a diverse group of in house services, from architecture and planning to transportation and systems services. They have a passion for what they do and an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

I worked at IBI Group Gruzen Samton during a time of great transition for the company. The founders of the original company, Gruzen Samton, were in the process of integrating their company with the larger international company of IBI Group. It was a tumultuous time of transition. The old leadership had a difficult time finding there place within the structure of the newly formed combined company.

""Old School" Firm the BAD Way"

Former Employee - Senior Project Architect, AIA, RIBA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Architect, AIA, RIBA in New York, NY

I worked at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, unless of course you count the long hours, verbal abuse, intimidation, and scare tactics by the Design Principals as something positive. I'm afraid not many employees will.

Cons

Almost every imaginable thing from extremely low pay, to verbal abuse, intimidation, and scare tactics, with the Design Principals flinging pens and or paper at you at will and for reasons mostly unbeknown to you.

Advice to Management

If you don't speak up against verbal abuse, intimidation and scare tactics then you are condoning that kind of behavior and are just as guilty as the Design Principals who are doing it.

"Tolerable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, welcoming and nice.

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better. Also, a strong lack of company appreciation to its employees.

"Architect"

I worked at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time

Pros

Don't be confused by the name. This review is for NYC office of IBI Group - Gruzen Samton. This is the old Gruzen Samton firm located in the Meatpacking District. They joined IBI in 2009. After several years of confusion, the office seems to be turning around with energetic management and positive outlook

Cons

Part of a larger corporation from canada

Advice to Management

Untapped potential exists. Look for it.

"architect"

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of nice people and good working environment. I've been given opportunities because I asked for them and stepped up. I've been offered training to help my skills. Lots of young architects in the office makes a fun studio.

Cons

Part of a larger company means better benefits but sometime the bureaucracy is annoying.

8. "Good People, ok projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here a few years and from the start the staff has generally been friendly and welcoming. I was given some opportunities to participate in some decent projects, worked on some good teams and made some good friends.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of high profile projects--lots of projects where the budget is probably limited, so the design opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

value those who actually do the work as much as those who manage things.

9. "Very corporate, so easy and nice, but nothing colorful or interesting."

Former Employee - Intern Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern Architect in New York, NY

Pros

Overall, GS offers a relaxed environment, and some social events do occur. They organize site visits and some other events. You don't get chastised over little things but management keeps track of them.

Cons

The feeling I get from working here is that anonymity is appreciated. I found it difficult or impossible to form friendships. The workplace feels more like high school or college fraternities, where everyone is organized into cliques which you are either in or out of.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the flexibility and ability to expand professional experience. The management is not bad, but the middle layers are a bit mucky, with a lot of time wasted. Try pushing harder for more projects, expand the language by attempting competitions and the like.

"gs review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I felt the atmopshere was very friendly and pleasant. Althought I was there for a short periord of time, I found the work to be very challenging.

Cons

I think the hourly wages could be a little bit higher especially for interns, and experienced professionals and admin staff.

Advice to Management

I think the decision process needs to be improved as they are too many partners and it is time consuming when making decisions.

"Marketing"

I have been working at IBI Group Gruzen Samton full-time

Pros

Friendly people, laid back office atmosphere.

Cons

Not enough of mentorship for lower rank employees.

Advice to Management

Be aware of subordinates as valuable investment to your firm and their goals. Help us and we'll help you to build a better company.