IBISWorld Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Justin Ruthven

Pros
Cons
  • There is little room for growth unless you are in sales or client services (in 5 reviews)

• Sales cycle is extended, but a big deal can offset that (in 8 reviews)

"A solid place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Company is growing rapidly and innovating through new products, services and internal processes. Friendly atmosphere, pretty amazing work-life balance, terrific people at the exec/VP level.

In Production, the career path has grown in scope over past few years, and advancement opportunities are available for individuals who proactively them seek out - a position in this department is exactly what you make of it.

Cons

The usual growing pains of any small company: limited office space, some hits and misses when scouting sales personnel, employees at varying levels of seniority who test the boundaries of the company's relaxed culture - fortunately these issues continue to be addressed by management.

In the production department, learning plateaus quickly. Professional development is readily available, but many often appear disengaged and/or lack soft skills.

Advice to Management

Do your best to only elevate to leadership positions those who are the biggest champions of the product and the brand. Their enthusiasm rubs off on others in a big way, and they are the people who I enjoyed working with most.

"Work-life balance"

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

The company cares about your work-life balance. They want to see you go home on time and not work on weekends. Extra work is typically due to your own time-management issues. Holiday and vacation policy is better than a lot of companies in the US. Potential for work from home days and bonus, though the bonus isn't substantial and uncertain as it has to do with performance relative to your peers and is fairly competitive. Pretty much everyone is pleasant to work with and most people get along with each other.

Cons

Limited room for growth and pay advancement in the long-run for analysts.

"Glorified Lead Generation"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBISWorld invests heavily in training its sales people. The training is on-going -- you will have weekly training sessions on various topics throughout your tenure at the firm -- and covers a wide range of areas. For salespeople, you will spend a lot of time learning the, "consultative sales" process and how it is best applied.

In terms of corporate culture, there is also a healthy sense of camaraderie amongst the sales team. You will make friends there, and it is not uncommon for people at IBISWorld to hang out with each other outside of work.

Cons

Sales at IBISWorld are extremely challenging, and there is little financial remuneration in terms of real commissions. There are two reasons for this.

One is the immense amount of administrative work that comes with being a sales rep at IBISWorld. Despite the company’s emphasis on “consultative-selling”, the reality is that you will spend ¾ of your time cold-calling to book online demonstrations or digging through Salesforce.com to find new accounts. This will make a good chunk of your day feel boring or tedious.

Second, you are given very little autonomy when it comes to deal-closing. As a sales rep at IBISWorld, you are prohibited from talking to prospective clients about price – only the head of sales has the right to determine a true dollar figure – and you will often be encouraged by your immediate supervisor/manager to delay the overall sales process rather than bring it to a close. Ironically, it will often feel as though your immediate supervisor/manager is harder to convince than the clients themselves.

Advice to Management

"Consultative Sales" requires a different skill-set than appointment-setting and online demonstrations. If what you want are problem-solvers who possess sound business acumen, why hire those people only to have them spend the their time on something that could be outsourced to a call center?

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Company supplies beer on Fridays.

Cons

Low pay and very little room for advancement. Overall, editorial is limited and disrespected.

Advice to Management

Editors will burn out if you don't give them opportunities to apply their industry-related knowledge and skills.

Feb 22, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are sorry to see that you did not enjoy your time working for us. We have developed a career path for editors, which allows editors to gain ... More

6. "Good product- pathetic management- won't make any $"

Former Employee - BDM
    Former Employee - BDM

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good job for someone learning sales, or how to be a manager (they are basically supervisors, through no fault of their own). Product is good, but not needed enough in the market, so that makes it hard to sell. When it's hard to sell, especially for the account base available to newer reps, it is VERY difficult to make real money. I will define real money of $130 at a minimum, it's more like $150 min in L.A...basically the stars have to be aligned JUST right to be able to make a consistent $100k (it's more realistic to make 90k or so).

Cons

It starts and ends with management. Inconsistent, and simply have a mindset of "more calls, more reps = more sales"...they over complicate the sales process unlike anything I've ever seen...don't trust reps at all...benefits are light and expensive...only res who've been there 3+ years can make anything decent (basically means $120-!30 ish) because they have the accounts that can support the product, everyone else is working the middle market which means small deal size and small commission...and deals don't come fast, they come SLOOOOOOOOOOOWLY

Advice to Management

This is more advice to job seekers here- stay away if you are seasoned and are used to making even 100k, it will be very hard to do here....on the other hand, if you're newer to sales and have never made 100k, it's a good learning place.

"Sales"

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Fun environment, okay work life balance,

Cons

very political, extremely biased, and very childish

Feb 20, 2017 – Company Representative

Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that you are disappointed with some aspects of your work experience at IBISWorld. If you have any specific concerns you’d like to share, our doors are ... More

"Production"

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Relaxed office environment, good work/life balance, young good looking crowd, great place to start off a career

Cons

Cliquey culture, lots of gossiping by employees (this includes managers). Employees are promoted based on how many reports they can quickly put out and the focus on high quality reports is low. Favoritism is uncomfortably apparent. Salary and bonuses don't commensurate for work done which explains the high turnover rate. Also there is not enough office space due to the "growing business" so people are forced to share desks and often switch work from home days, which is annoying to deal with.

Advice to Management

Provide more support for the production team. Yes, sales is crucial. But without the prod team to create the product, the business wouldn't work. Promotion opportunities should be based on the quality of products produced rather than have everything be a numbers game. Don't praise people then side step them by giving them minimal pay raises. Value your employees rather than just talking about it.

Dec 19, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments about the work-life balance and the relaxed office environment. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced gossiping and a cliquey ... More

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Flexible, good work/life balance, lot of control over work, good people, good place to develop a specialty

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow, favoritism towards sales, little investment in production team, unwilling to innovate, senior management is inaccessible/ doesn't involve the production team

Advice to Management

Sales is important, but take care of the folks creating the product. There's a lot analysts bring to the table, but they need support. Offer development programs, tools, workshops, so they can do their jobs better and grow professionally. The company heavily favors one side of the company and it shows, and this makes it hard to attract/ keep top talent.

Dec 19, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear that you think this is a good place to start your career and that you felt you had control over your work. We believe in training employees well, so they ... More

"Fine place to start your career"

Former Employee - Analyst II in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst II in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Honest, open, and helpful environment. Learned a great deal working there and the work/life balance was awesome.

Cons

Compensation. I think retention and morale would be a lot higher among the product team otherwise. Plus the product would be way better if analysts cared more.

Advice to Management

Invest in the product team to lubricate the sales cycle. Trim the fat in the sales org and let product efficacy drive organic leads.

Dec 19, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for your review. We’re happy you enjoyed the work environment and met some great people. We agree with your suggestion to invest in the Production team – in fact, we’re hiring now to ... More

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Generous commission structure
    - 9-5 work hours
    - Good office culture
    - Open door policy with upper management
    - Company used to have high amounts of turnover but there has been a big focus on lessening that and they've done a good job so far
    - Can earn the ability to work from home

Cons

- Lack of upward mobility
    - The company offers a 401k plan and will match 50% of an employee's contribution, up to 2% of employee salary.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to expand our positions. Make a more concerted effort to market and advertise the company.

Dec 19, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you enjoy the culture at IBISWorld, including our open-door policy. We want our employees to express their thoughts and suggestions. This gives us the ... More