IBISWorld Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Justin Ruthven

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is one of the few companies I've found that puts an emphasis on work-life balance for sales people (in 27 reviews)

• Can earn the ability to work from home (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little room for growth unless you are in sales or client services (in 6 reviews)

• Sales cycle is extended, but a big deal can offset that (in 9 reviews)

1. "Really Great Company"

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment, really great management, sweet office view

Cons

Wish there was more room for growth in terms of salary

Advice to Management

Keep it up and invest in your people more

2. "Business Development Manager"

I worked at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

- Work culture, nice place to work
    - Caring management
    - Relaxed dress code
    - Periodic company outings
    - Promote from within
    - Office location
    - Career plan

Cons

- Long ramp up (9 months+)
    - Long sales cycle (6+ months)
    - No marketing
    - Old-fashioned selling attitude (lot of cold calling, no email automation)
    - Very little inbound leads
    - A lot of salespeople
    - Product is general, can be hard to create value
    - Very little innovation (mostly just creating more of the same)

Advice to Management

Great company culture & overall mindset. Marketing & email automation tools can help shorten sales cycle. Creating more of the same is not innovative.

3. "Great Place to work. Comfortable Job."

Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear career path
    Takes pride in your professional training and development
    Great people
    Growth potential
    Short term earning potential
    Easy commute to financial district

Cons

Insurance could be a bit better
    Long term earning potential eventually has a ceiling
    No monthly incentives in client services

Advice to Management

Management is great, keep continuing to motivate and compensate deserving talent

Jul 10, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for your review. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time working for IBISWorld. We do our best to create a place where individuals look forward to coming to work and being part of a... More

"A company that truly cares about their people"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at IBISWorld for over 2 years; both as a Business Development Manager and as a Sales Manager. Based on my experience, I've never come across a company more committed to training and retaining employees.

To start, IBISWorld invests an entire month into training their new sales employees in order to develop their product knowledge, vertical knowledge, and general sales acumen. The IBISWorld product offering and verticals are incredibly complex, but this on-boarding process allows for salespeople to become comfortable enough to pitch the product to high-level decision makers across industries.

Additionally, as a small, privately-owned business, IBISWorld’s primary focus is employee retention and happiness. This is one of the few companies I've found that puts an emphasis on work-life balance for sales people. Days are typically no longer than 8 hours and management constantly works to make sure that all Business Development Managers are satisfied with the role. The career path platform that IBISWorld has in place, assures employees that if they continue to work hard, contribute to company culture, and hit their numbers, they will earn higher compensation and opportunities within the company. This is a fantastic benefit for people who don’t necessarily feel like a management role is a good fit for them and would prefer to stay in an individual contributor role.

Finally, I think it’s worth adding that IBISWorld is a company that consistently innovates. Throughout my tenure, IBISWorld developed multiple new industry report collections, enhanced the existing report collections, and beefed up their marketing collateral. This allows employees to have stronger conversations with prospects and even enables them to expand their pitch into untapped verticals.

Cons

The IBISWorld New York sales floor is currently dominated by sales people with under 18 months of tenure with the company. This lack of experience has had a slight effect on employee morale, but it’s nothing that has prevented IBISWorld from continued growth. Regardless, I believe that IBISWorld will continue to experience growing pains until a majority of the sales-floor is more tenured.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop methods that will increase retention and employee satisfaction.

"Senior Business Development"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great culture, great management, great company.

Cons

don't know that the 200 + people who washed out as BDM's means you keep the ones who can close (maybe 20 people in 3 years of hiring).

Gartner has spoken up and will take my revenue stream.

Advice to Management

don't fire anyone who can close. period.

Jul 10, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad that you appreciated IBISWorld's culture and management. We strive to create an environment where individuals can work hard and... More

"Positive place to grow in sales"

Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBISWorld has created a warm and friendly culture. From a sales floor perspective, the atmosphere is not competitive but rather encouraging and friendly. The base pay is decent as are the benefits. The product, sales process and target clients allow for tons of learning about yourself, your own sales skills, macro economics and thousands of other industry spaces and practices. IBISWorld allowed for me to really sharpen my soft skills and better understand economics and trends as a whole. IBISWorld is keen on promoting from within. This can often mean your former teammate is now managing your efforts (this also means there is room to move into management if you are interested.) Tenure is not necessarily a factor in recognizing management material either. This was positive for my experience as my manager and I progressed through our roles and responsibilities together. While I believe some managers micro manage more than others, I was fortunate enough to report to a manger who allowed you have quite a bit of freedom in shaping my day and tackling my responsibilities and never kicked me out of the driver's seat. Metrics are discussed and monitored however, these are not exclusively used to measure ones performance efforts.
    There is money to be made in sales at IW but not much low hanging fruit. Generating revenue and hitting your numbers is a challenge and requires a lot of patience, creativity and strategy....but it's definitely doable!

Cons

I left during a time of restructuring and efforts for improvement. Many cons were addressed towards the end of my employment. The sales process is very long and days can become monotonous. The office doesn't really have a "buzz" to it. The product is a bit dated and would really benefit from more frequent upgrades and a 21st century look. A lot of opportunities are tied up with more senior sales people which is extremely frustrating and tends to leave less tenured people with smaller, less lucrative accounts who are less likely to have budget for the product. There is little to no lead generation so just be sure to anticipate quite a bit of cold out reach.

Advice to Management

Listen a bit more to your sales people's frustrations as well as their ideas on improving processes and account distribution. Continue building up the marketing efforts and creating brand recognition outside of commercial banking.

"Challenging and Rewarding Sales Position"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBISWorld's greatest strength is its ability to expand your knowledge of selling B2B across numerous verticals while following a strict policy of doing right by the clients first. By no means is IBISWorld an easy sell, but when you help a prospect decide to move forward with IBISWorld, you can rest easy knowing you have made a real difference in your prospect's life.

Although the ramp-up period can be a bit of a learning curve, this is almost entirely mitigated by the support you get not only from the management, but also (and more importantly) from employees across the sales floor. When they tell you that everyone is open to you asking questions about the product, sales tactics, process management, and how to best succeed, it is entirely true. Training at the start and throughout your career is top-notch and geared toward giving you the tools you need to succeed.

The relationships you build with your prospects are genuine and the compensation you get is only limited by your hunger to work hard, learn as much as you can, and willingness to pick up the phone and try someone again. Some places advertise this, but IBISWorld delivers.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to find quality "top-dollar" accounts. Most of this is due to tenure. That said, there is plenty of opportunity to find your own niche and management is flexible, if not encouraging, to forays into different "non-core" verticals.

Advice to Management

Vie for more feedback from the staff, especially when it comes to promotions to management. Structure more emphasis early on for new-hires in abundant activity. The ramp-up period can take some time, but if someone is not willing to make at least 40 quality dials a day when starting, they shouldn't be there.

"Wonderful Work Environment"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong initial training (3-4 weeks)

- Supportive & fun Management & coworkers (no lie!)

- Non-combative sales floor (rare to find!)

- Consistent promotions/salary increases upon positive contributions

- Ideal work-life balance

- Great benefits (earn 20+ personal days, Work-from-home program, 'rolling' holidays, 401k, etc.)

- Upper Management is welcoming, involved & open to new ideas & innovation

- Cool perks

- Amazing environment

Cons

- Tight office, lack of space, been told new office would be ready last summer but still no move-in date in sight..

-After being in a role for a year or so, the training session topics can get a little repetitive. Usually it isn't the case, but on the off-chance it does happen, it makes you want to get back to your desk & make calls in that hour.

Advice to Management

- when new hire (BDM) starting, maybe add 5 (random) accounts per main vertical (~40-50) into their name to get started

- implement new sections & industries more frequently. it'll answer prospect questions/objections & boost competitive edge

- offer more WFH days sooner to help with the shrinking office space

- raise percentage of contribution/match for 401k program

"Review of CRM Role"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBISWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High base salary
    Generous commission and bonus structure
    Transparency and assistance with career path
    Ongoing training
    Unlimited growth potential
    Interaction with management and executives
    High emphasis on culture and values

Cons

Cramped office, but moving locations soon to accommodate growing staff!

Mar 15, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for your review. We are glad to see that you are a fan of our compensation structure, growth opportunities, training and our values. The key to IBISWorld's success is the talented people... More

"A solid place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IBISWorld full-time

Pros

Company is growing rapidly and innovating through new products, services and internal processes. Friendly atmosphere, pretty amazing work-life balance, terrific people at the exec/VP level.

In Production, the career path has grown in scope over past few years, and advancement opportunities are available for individuals who proactively them seek out - a position in this department is exactly what you make of it.

Cons

The usual growing pains of any small company: limited office space, some hits and misses when scouting sales personnel, employees at varying levels of seniority who test the boundaries of the company's relaxed culture - fortunately these issues continue to be addressed by management.

In the production department, learning plateaus quickly. Professional development is readily available, but many often appear disengaged and/or lack soft skills.

Advice to Management

Do your best to only elevate to leadership positions those who are the biggest champions of the product and the brand. Their enthusiasm rubs off on others in a big way, and they are the people who I enjoyed working with most.

Mar 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're happy to see that you had positive experiences while working with us. Thanks for touching on our rapid innovation. We're really excited about... More