IBM Advisory Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company, poor upper management"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career growth

Cons

short sighted upper management - Keeps changing directions of the company

2. "Software Advisory"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is changing a lot, employees get new mac books, HR is changing, even the tools are all changing. We have adopted Workday, Travis, GitHub, JFrog, etc.

New employees get decent market salary.

It's flexible and lay back unless you're in a hot project.

If you work in emerging technologies with teams that are using latest tech then IBM is definitely a fun place to work at. Our leader is very flexible and allows us to build things from the ground up and use any technology necessary for our solutions. I often get to develop tools and products from end to end. (Disclaimer: I've only experienced this with my current manager/director and team. Most people in IBM aren't as lucky to have a leader like mine)

The company is trying hard to get new blood who are passionate and talented but it's hard to keep them with the package they offer and specially the salary.

If you are a new parent or are expecting, IBM would be perfect to work at. Like I said, it's very flexible and lay back. Most people work from home on Fridays and leave early when ever they need to.

IBM is also great for new hires! Most new hires last 2 - 3 years.

Cons

• Annual Bonus is nothing ($500 - $600 after tax)
    • No stock options unless you are executive
    • No annual increases even with excellent annual reviews (top performer)
    • Hard to get a promotion unless you have a good manager that is respected and fights for you
    • Some employees are really old school and outdated - they make it hard to innovate and work on new ideas. They are really outdated, some can't even code and aren't technical. It's really surprising that a senior "technical" worker is not technical. Stay away from employees who have been in IBM for more than 6 years. A 10 year IBM employee is a huge red flag.
    • Most employees lack drive and passion. They do the minimum. (hard to innovate)
    • Not enough resources to kick off awesome projects
    • POLITICS (specially from people who aren't technical and are all talk)
    • I often feel like we develop demos and prototypes too often to make our managers, VPs and overall upper management happy and making them feel like we are doing awesome rather than focusing on building really good products. As long as the UI is beautiful, they don't seem to care.
    • Managers and senior people always play the game... it's like if they have a play book. They don't try.

Advice to Management

Cut the politics, more doing, less talking. Focus on making great products, help your people grow, motivate, innovate, reward your employees, change the old culture. If you focus on leading by example with passion, good ethics and drive the rest will follow.

"A good place overall, but too much beuracracy and politics"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* I worked with some fantastic people
    * Some of the products and services really were "best in class"
    * There was a clear path to promotion while remaining in an engineering role rather than being forced to transition to management
    * I was pleasantly surprised several times with raises and bonuses. It's literally the only place I've ever worked where I received a raise without asking for it, and it happened to me twice in 3 years at IBM.
    * IBM's marketing and name recognition is awesome

Cons

* Some of the products were not "best in class"
    * Bureaucracy and politics got in the way of quality and cost us good people
    * A strategy shouldn't drastically change every year or two
    * IBM's complete flip-flop on remote workers was the primary reason I left
    * I had 6 managers in 3 years

Advice to Management

Settle down! Stop re-organizing everyone and re-branding everything and put more focus on product quality and taking care of the people you have.

"Great place to work depending on area"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in an area where IBM is investing (speaking from engineering perspective), IBM can be a great place to work. My area is using the latest technologies like Node.js, New Relic, GitHub, etc. and we have a lot of autonomy to implement services the way we want. The benefits package is one of the best I know of in the industry. There is also a lot of flexibility on hours and ability to work from home. IBM is so big

Cons

There can be a lot of red tape and bureaucracy to navigate at IBM, so you have to have some patience with that.

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work and nice building.

Cons

None so far to say

"Advisory software engineer"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people and a lot of oppertunity

Cons

Too hard to get a raise

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is a large company with many types of software projects.

Cons

Employee review rating percentage is dictated from above to manage head count. This is an unfair process. Sometimes managers are forced to give good engineers a poor review rating number just to manage head count.

Advice to Management

Change the review process.

8. "work environment and career growth"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for lateral movement to pick up new skills and contribute in the area of interest .

Cons

Legacy tool usage persists in some areas and may need to be updated or replaced.

Advice to Management

Make use of the available talents and motivate them to work in area of interest and strength.

"Very impressive and innovative engineers"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exactly work environment, flexible work hours, very professional management, very experienced coworker.

Cons

Not being able to work from home. Too much work, lacking focused project and products.

IBM Response

Jun 19, 2017 – VP, Communications

Thanks for acknowledging the workplace flexible. We're proud of the trust-based culture we've built inside IBM. We do want to address the concern about working from home, though. IBM has been a... More

"Unrealistic sales driven deadlines, ridiculous bureaucracy, and general disinterest from management"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- In the past there has been a liberal work from home policy. I'm not sure how much longer that will last.
    - The company 401k matching contribution is good and is fully vested from the start.

Cons

- Multiple (one or more) layoffs per year every year I was at the company (almost 10 years).
    - Terrible or none existent bonuses.
    - Management mostly concerned with how to preserve and progress their careers and has little interest in progressing staff careers.
    - Software engineering organization driven by rigid sales motivated deadlines with little consideration for sound software development practices. This creates substandard software services that are unmaintainable. But Sales doesn't care and engineering management team is too afraid to push back.
    - Bluemix IS an awful mess and any product or service that has to integrate with it WILL be made worse by having to integrate and adhere to the terrible bureaucracy that exists within it.

Advice to Management

- Reduce the red tape! It is strangling this company.
    - Stop ignoring the careers of your engineers until it's too late. For 10 years I was told that a promotion/raise was just around the corner but the only time I was offered any compensation and banding bump was the day that I gave my 2 week notice. I was told to name my price and I thought that if I was so indispensable then why didn't you care to reward me until I had both feet out the door. TBH I stuck around as long as I did because I worked remotely for almost the entire duration of my stay at IBM which was a tremendous perk but even that perk appears that it might be going away.