IBM Anonymous Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

"Great opportunity for experience and meeting amazing people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse team with people from all over the world who are strong contributors in their field; Lots of opportunities to get involved;

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as it used to be; Outsourcing many of the roles; Work demand is high (often work more than 50-60 hours a week)

Advice to Management

Instead of laying off good resources, try to find new opportunities for them so they can continue contributing to IBM. HIre more people to eliminate the high stress and work demand (more than 60 hours is a bit extreme).

"Would be great if not for outsourcing"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, family, diversity friendly, good learning opportunities

Cons

Layoffs and ...layoffs, overload, low pay,

Advice to Management

Never stop asking how can I help you to do your job the best

3. "Great People , Intitutionally struggling as it changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Collaborative environment, teaming is great once your understand how people are incented, 1st and 2nd line managers are tremendous. The importance of focusing on the client is refreshing.

Cons

Financial Goals and execution through RIFs is a very blunt tool. Upper Mgt has no effective way to involve 1st and 2nd line manager in the process of choosing who adds value and who does not add value to its customers.

Advice to Management

Involve your 1st and 2nd line managers in the RIF process let them choose , to make the best choice for the company and long term relationships with the customers

"staff engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible time, have many options for health/dental/vision, great work environment for new hires, good work & life balance.

Cons

salary is low, hard to promote, big company so projects move slowly, annual lay-off, bonus is little.

Advice to Management

high level manager should focus more on increasing employee salaries/wages

5. "Radical change - cashing out legacy businesses"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Powerful, enterprise-level software able to handle problems of largest organizations
    Very high quality mainframe businesses that dominate major transaction applications
    Some opportunities for young engineers to build cloud applications

Cons

Pushing critical skilled personnel out supporting key products that bring support revenue
    Playing financial games to keep stock price up after 17 quarters of declining revenues
    Late to the game to go to the cloud; expects to push legacy customers to cloud and keep them there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of at least 3-4 layers of management to save cost and increase nimbleness.
    Tie executive compensation to revenue growth, not stock price.
    Don't give lip service to those who brought you to the dance

6. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

1) Working with talented and motivated people using the latest technologies.
    2) Some work groups allow employees to work from home and with flexible hours

Cons

The company has been doing quarterly layoffs, without concern that they are getting rid of people who are needed to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Look at the people and the project needs instead of focusing on the bottom line. They are losing very good talent which threatens the quality of their products.

"Too many cronies"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Regular paycheck, good benefits, multiple opportunities.

Cons

I joined the company during a re-alignment of top management in 1985. The new top gun realigned the company laid off some and promoted others. An exact repeat of what happend in 2014!

Advice to Management

How many times does it take to get it right without destroying others retirements by such a massive lay off!
    There has to be a better way.

"Welcome to corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amazing minds I have met and the amount of determination I have seen in trying to please this company.

Cons

The lies. You do better than you're taught and still get told you're not doing well enough. I can only wonder if my 'poor performance' stems from lack of quality training on these applications that IBM is buying. What are we really doing in the client's office when developers are 'punished' for providing quality solutions? 45 hours a week is what I'm contracted to provide. No OT pay, but my work ethic pushes about 60 hours a week out of me. Two of three project managers value my work, but the one that can fire me says that I don't contribute. Me == confused.

Advice to Management

Hello, my name is NOT Watson. I!BaMachine....I am a person with a family like you. Have a heart. This is America and the Holocaust is long ended.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Compensation is good if you negotiate very well. A lot of training opportunities.

Cons

The benefits are the worst I've ever had in my employment history. The company is too big, so there is a lot of bureaucracy. You accrue vacations, but it's difficult to take it and you can't roll it over. 401K matching does not happen until the end of the year, so if you leave before Dec. 31st, you lose your matching funds.

10. "Project manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Ok place. Slow advancement Not employee focused

Cons

Purely financially focused and run the business' quarter