IBM Applications Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"BEST COMPANY in market"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is good here. Freedom to employees and facility of work from home.

Cons

Lagging in behind free services to employees.

2. "It is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So many incredibly smart and driven colleagues. A lot of learning if you avail yourself of the opportunities. Discounts and investment options

Cons

Getting help with basic desktop troubleshooting can be daunting at times. A bit of red tape

Advice to Management

Please be there for your employees . Listen and be supportive. When they need a simple signature that only you can provide, please do that as soon as you reasonably can

"AppDev GBS (PubSec) - Some things were good, other weren't... harder to tolerate the bad things as time goes on."

Former Employee - .NET Web Applications Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - .NET Web Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Work from Home and Employees are encouraged to manage their own time for Work-Life balance (depending on assigned project and team).
    2. Learning resources are easily available (and company encourage learning - it's part of the annual employee evaluation).
    3. Partnership with Apple provide employees with selection of work related hardware (Mac, iPhone or IBM's Lenovo) and support.
    4. Plenty of Senior colleagues that can mentor and provide guidance.
    5. Standard Benefits Package: VAC/SIC (full from day 1), ESPP, 401k, Health Plan with HSA employer contributions (Medical, Drugs, Dental and Vision), Life Insurance, Disability, Employee discounts.

Cons

1. Difficult to keep a work-life balance as management keeps pushing for increased utilization time (Ex. for 2016, my role was assigned a minimum 100% year-end utilization goal). A typical employee will exceed the goal as, depending on assigned project and role, workload is around 10-15 hours per day - including some weekends.
    2. Performance review is highly subjective. The team that review your performance (and therefore recommends your salary revisions and promotions) is not the same group that works with you on a daily basis. Even your manager (SAM) might not know the details about your work (the SAM might not even know who you are or even met you in person).
    3. Salary increases (revisions) and bonuses are never guaranteed even with excellent performance reviews (1=best, 3=worst). (Ex. I worked here for three years, was considered a "rock star" employee but never received a raise, last year bonus was $850 while having PBC ratings of 1 on all years and exceeding my utilization goals in 20%-30% above the mark).
    4. Combination of Health Plan Premium + Contributions + Commuting (non-reimbursable) expenses will take a big piece of each paycheck (depending on where you live+work) - all needed just to go to work.

Advice to Management

None - they are doing what is best for the company (not the employees).

4. "Application Developer Intern, Summer of 2017"

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Southbury, CT
    Former Intern - Applications Developer in Southbury, CT

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is much more casual than I was expected - Almost nobody wears ties outside of the Corporate Headquarters. Even then, I only saw a few.

They trust you with a Thinkpad(or Mac) from day one, and after first-time setup, you can work from almost anywhere(Although, in-office is preferred). The keyboards on the Thinkpads are phenomenal.

The company as a whole is moving towards more Agile methodologies. I wasn't stuck in a cubicle, and my team all sat together.

Everyone is reachable by Slack or Sametime. Many executives are willing to talk with you if they have the time.

Lots of opportunities to learn. Think40 has plenty of free learning modules available, and workshops for different technologies are held.

If you work well, and communicate with your managers, you can discuss continued-employment internships. Not guaranteed, but I know several of my coworkers negotiated this successfully.

All of my coworkers were fantastic.

Cons

With my batch of interns, there was a bit of a mixup with people's titles and job responsibilities. I got the better end of the stick (hired as Tech Support, worked as a developer for Corporate Applications), but some of the people studying engineering in some capacity (Computer Science, Information Systems, IT Management) were doing more HR-related work like making PowerPoint presentations for other office's Workday transition.

Some of the intern-focused events were a bit too spread out - Things like Design Thinking workshops, Agile group training, etc. Part of this is because of differing start dates, but I would have preferred these events to have been closer together.

Some managers are better than others.

Some of the technologies used are outdated, or on the way out. I doubt they'll replace Lotus Notes anytime soon, and Sametime Connect is being slowly phased out for Slack.

Documentation on stuff like LotusScript and the equivalent operations in Serverside Javascript is very barebones, due to its internal nature.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with, and better communicate work duties and job roles. Concentrate new-hire activities into waves.

"IBM GBS Baton Rouge is a very sad place to be..."

Current Employee - Java Applications Developer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Java Applications Developer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training and only if you like video lectures.

Cons

- HR will tell you whatever you want to hear just to sign you in.
    - Pay range is a way below industry average for new and experienced hires. So if you have some skills go elsewhere.
    - Benefits are weak, just like the salary.
    - If you are a tech person or if you have coding skills this place is not for you. Majority of resources have Liberal Arts Degree and have nothing to do with tech. They are the reason why center is capable of keeping compensation to its employees so low. I have an App Developer in my team who has no dev skills and has a History Major and you will be expected to help him to do his job. Expect your work-life balance to struggle.
    - Favorite topic of 80% of people in the center is :"I can't wait to get out." which is sad, because it is IBM.
    - People don't stay too long, especially if it is a skilled individual.
    - You will be running around the center in search of the project. And yes, you have to find your own projects and this is not easy. It is like you have a job and your job is to find a job. Not easy because of the damaged reputation of the center among other IBM practices.
    -Traveling is expected to be 50% , in reality you will travel 100% and it is exhausting.
    - Ethics of the upper management is a very questionable subject.
    - Managers are not aware who they hired and what skills their people have, which is sad.

Advice to Management

You need a fresh blood with new vision to bring this place up. Otherwise it is just a matter of time before this center hits the ground, and it is on its way there. How long can a business survive on a "cheap resources for a premium price" model?

6. "Great Place to start career and learn new skills, awesome benefits and good people to work around."

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is a great place to work for IT professionals who are beginning their careers or looking for upper management. It has awesome benefits and dozens of learning opportunities. Great Collaboration and Good for beginning IT career
    Travel!

Cons

Although its great for ones who are beginning their careers, IBM is hard to grow from bottom to top unless you work there for 20 years plus. Also, career paths are unclear and if you dont have a nitch its had to advance

Advice to Management

Some management are different than others, should have more consistent rules.

7. "Software Application Developer In C++"

Former Employee - Software Applications Developer In C++ in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Applications Developer In C++ in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at! Never met a person that I didn't like!

Cons

Cut throat environment. Either you're pushing the innovation forward or you're fired!

Advice to Management

Stock buy backs hurt the middle class. You don't need those research grants...

8. "A truly large company that can be easy to get lost in"

Former Intern - Applications Development Intern in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Intern - Applications Development Intern in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Resources, Opportunities, Coworkers, Stability, Travel

Cons

Corporation, Work-Life Balance, Small fish

9. "IBM"

Former Employee - IT Applications Developer
    Former Employee - IT Applications Developer

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT ENVIRONMENT AND WORK FROM HOME 1 DAY A WEEK

Cons

Project Managers were not organized on my projects for the users

10. "Review"

Current Employee - Software Applications Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Applications Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. Good work life balance.

Cons

Opportunities are shrinking not getting new businesses..