IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Updated July 25, 2017

Atlanta, GA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 870 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 426 reviews)

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not really many good things left about working for this company. Until recently, their work from home policy was strong, but the current senior leadership destroyed that one last positive benefit.

Cons

IBM is by far the most toxic company I have ever been part of. My company was purchased by IBM a few years ago, and quickly ran it into the ground. IBM senior leadership acts to serve their own over-inflated egos, and rarely ever use common sense in making decisions. The entrenched long-term marketing and sales employees are dedicated to blocking any kind of useful progress. Overall, the company treats their employees horribly. IBM is obviously in a decline that its current leadership team can't reverse, and it deserves the crash that is coming

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee. Your ego will be your downfall.

2. "Business Controls Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and autonomy as an individual contributor.

Cons

Extremely bureaucratic culture and limited opportunity for upward mobility.

3. "Senior Oracle Database Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work location. Always plenty to do

Cons

No clear direction in projects. Terrible health benefits for a company of this size

"IBM - roll the eyes"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wealth of knowledge. Good co-workers. Benefits are competitive except 401k company contribution.

Cons

Higher ups are out of touch with reality, 5 years of loosing qtrs! 401k plan employee payout is 1 time a year and if IBM decides to cut / RA employee, employee get 0.

Advice to Management

CFO recently commented on H1B visas and the abuse of the system, yet IBM is #4 on the list for most. Walk the walk and talk the talk

"This is not your daddy's IBM!"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM brings together an amazing array of technology as the basis of real, practical solutions that power Earth's commerce. Some people still think of IBM as "that mainframe company", but today's IBM has been transformed into an agile, leading edge technology creator. As an IBMer, it is amazing to be able to pick up the phone and chat with the very people who are creating and shaping tomorrow. Blockchain, quantum computing, cognitive computing, and countless other technologies are real-world here. Yes, we still sell some big iron; but (surprise!) it runs Linux!

Cons

No way to hide it -- IBM is a big enterprise, with nearly a half million employees around the world. It isn't a startup!

6. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow. Salaries are competitive.

Cons

One can be lost in a ocean in the large company.

Apr 24, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for the review. We are glad you mentioned career growth as we work hard to ensure our employees have professional growth opportunities such as training programs and mentoring.

7. "My IBM Experience"

Current Employee - ISS/MSS SOC Computer Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ISS/MSS SOC Computer Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is one of the best companies in the world to work for. They actually care about their employees. Being at the forefront of technology, there is a lot of room for growth and career opportunities. I have been working for them almost 3 years and in my 30 years in the computer industry, it is by far the BEST. I am proud to say I am an IBMer!!!

Cons

I haven't had a pay raise yet in over 2 years - not even a merit raise. I wish that would change. But other than that, I enjoy my job and my team!

Advice to Management

Merit raises would be very much appreciated!

Apr 25, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBM is an excellent tech company, which offers many opportunities to grow your career.

8. "Account Customer Service"

Former Employee - Account Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a motto that everyone learned almost first day.
    Respect for the Individual, Customer Satisfaction. And the Pursuit of Excellence.
    I worked with some of the best people internally and externally and trained constantly on new equipment, safety, driving, and position.

Cons

Working 10 straight days on one shift.
    Thats all.

Advice to Management

Know employees better in upper management.

"Client Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, collaboration is encouraged.

Cons

Little to no real management/leadership with the sales ground troops. Company has way to many spreadsheet managers in management and not enough staff in sales, sales support and product development. With that being the case IBM is killing off the seasoned employee population every couple of quarters! They are bringing on young talent that old management can't train because they are busy managing monthly/quarterly forecast spreadsheets. The new and younger employees are many times left to find more seasoned teammates to understand IBM's antiquated quoting and billing systems. Younger employees will be less patient over time with frequent sales management inspection, QBR's, systems and lack of job related training and development.

Advice to Management

Improve your management selection process. If your going to go young maybe a few fresh faces in HQ would help with real vision for a 21st century IBM. Upgrade your CRM to Salesforce.com to limit cadence inspection or demand that your first line managers actually learn how to forecast from our current CRM vs Excel spreadsheets!!! Stop all the layoffs! It's already damaged employee moral beyond repair! You can't win with a scared and confused sales force! Enough already! It's time to really invest in your people (seasoned and new) to ensure IBM is around for another 100 plus years. At the current rate the odds are against that happening!!! Please take this into account that even with Watson, People and building customer relationships still matter!

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has amazing products, services, and people. I loved working for IBM and regret leaving. A world class organization.

Cons

With at big company you tend to be just another number.

Apr 14, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for your review. We agree that IBM is a great place to work with amazing people, products, and services.

Showing 410 of 31,122 reviews