IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

"How the mighty have fallen"

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM does attract the best and brightest, I have encountered many brilliant people in my time at IBM. Until recently there was flexibility to work remotely. Medical and vacation benefits are better than average. Technology provided to employees is adequate.

Cons

20 years ago, IBM was a wonderful place to work. Now, I cannot imagine thers is a large US company that is worse to their employees. IBM senior management views employees as depreciating assets, not as human beings. The LAST concern in the company is how moves and strategies will affect employees financially and morale-wise.

The only area where senior management shows real innovation is in coming up with ways save money by taking things away from employees.  Recent Examples: replacement of lump sum pensions with 'enhanced' 401k contributions, 401k match moved to end-of-year, reduction of severance from a max of 6 months to only 1 month, the essential elimination of raises, elimination of the Thanks program.

Mass firings (Resource Actions in IBM speak) are now a quarterly occurrence.  Employee morale and enthusiasm are incredibly low, most of us wondering when, not if, we will be fired. Work from home is being eliminated & many in the company are being given the choice of moving to an entirely new geographic location or losing their jobs.

Senior management, starting with Ginni, is inept and rudderless. 19 consecutive quarters of negative growth with no signs of a turnaround in sight. They have completely abandoned IBM's core values. "Trust and Personal Responsibility in all relationships" is a punchline in the current environment.

Advice to Management

Bringing in outsiders to senior mangement is commendable, but when their only new idea is 'let's eliminate the one good thing about working for IBM, work flexibility, and force everyone into an office' it may be time to reassess things.

"Company falling apart."

Current Employee - Mobile and Strategy Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mobile and Strategy Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with really smart people as well as having a bevy of resources at your disposal. IBM sales training is great!

Cons

IBM is losing a foothold in the industry. We also do not do a good job of keeping everyone involved in all aspects of the business. Training is lacking.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of finding strengths and utilizing them.

3. "Consulting Division was a daily struggle against the forces of complacency and chaos..."

Former Employee - Open Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Open Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The check cashed and I consider that an upside.
    They don't call you much after hours which was a big upside having been on call for years.
    Everyone worked from home and that was made this place initially so attractive.
    When you don't have anything else to do at least you can read manuals or other tech documents and they have some really good ones.

Cons

No IBMer manager or employee would rock the boat to help the customer at all in my opinion.
    They would do whatever it took to ensure that their pay/benefits would continue another day.
    They seemed to have some processes so canned that they were painful and others totally without process at all.
    Teams and management seemed to struggle with the most trivial issues.
    Each group seemed to fight one another to the detriment of the customer at least in the group for which I was a consultant.

Advice to Management

Empower lower management to take steps to ensure the work gets done and problems get ironed out quickly and make sure they will not get fired for acting in good faith to solve issues. I saw a lot of unhappy customers while here and it all related to lower managements unwillingness to make the customer happy.

5. "Used to be a great company, not anymore"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working conditions. If you have a technical job that can be done remotely all you need is a computer, internet connection and a phone. I was able to do my job completely from home for the last year I was there. Prior to that we were only required to be in the physical office 2-3 days a week.

Cons

Management seemed to always be nervous about any changes from the top and it trickles down to the staff. When I was there, IBM seemed to cut staff every other quarter, especially if they have acquired the IT department of another company or state government. The point is, IBM does not care nor do they value the people quality people that work there. If your department is downsized, it does not matter how long you have been with the company and they make it difficult to transfer to other departments or accounts.

Advice to Management

Invest it the people here in the US and keep the jobs in the state. Go back to the great company you used to be and stop exporting jobs to technologist and call centers in other countries.

6. "IT Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team members
    Very good products
    Training is available

Cons

Bad leadership
    Lack of vision - about 90 days into the future for the next quarterly report.
    They no longer lead the industry but always try to catch up by purchasing companies (mobile, cloud, etc.)
    Customer is now wall street, not the actual customers.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customers, products and the teams that deliver. PWC executives are now leading the company and IBM is turning into PWC.

"It's not your father's IBM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people that I call friends. Flexibility to work from home (for the past three years, that ends in 2017 for most biz units). Great training programs. You can get in the door with the IBM name.

Cons

Morale is at an all time low. The constant, every 6 month change to account coverage and strategy makes success very difficult. The lay offs, also known as "skills re-balancing" or Resource Actions have taken a toll. Often very good people have been let go because they have been in the wrong organization at the wrong time.

Advice to Management

We have to stick with a strategy for more than a year or two. The constant change is very stressful to employees and our clients don't like the change either. Try and find ways to share the upcoming strategy with your employees, even as it is evolving. No one likes to be blindsided about their future.

"No longer a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM Used to be an amazing, innovative company that cared about their employees, delivered excellent benefits, and drove their client's needs first.

Cons

Now, IBM will find any way possible to shave a dollar for our stockholders. They have peeled back benefits and tried to market it to employees masked as a positive, they resource employees once a month, and good employees are leaving for better opportunities. IBM has shifted from a client centric model to a stockholder first model.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be "innovative" and creating a bunch of millineal fluff. Get back to what our clients actually care about - products that work.

"Ok if you want to coast, bad if you want to innovate, terrible for career advancement"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* IBM, unsurprisingly, has a lot of moving parts. It's not hard to find projects to work on here, and they are good about moving groups (well software groups anyways) from project to project.
    * There are a number of okay-ish tools to facilitate communication and collaboration
    * There are some movements (albeit haphazardly) to adopt a more modern software development pipeline
    * If you like to coast and just cash a paycheck without really doing much work, you will excel here.
    * If you dig around a bit you will find some really smart people here.
    * It's not unusual to find individuals that have worked here for multiple decades.

Cons

* RED TAPE. This is one step remove bureaucratically from working for the government.
    * Erratic high-level management decisions. That work-from-home culture has effectively been killed company wide here.
    * Technical skill and innovation is frowned upon. A problem-solving individual will quickly find themselves frustrated.
    * VERY management heavy. I have been on many "scrum" teams where there were more managers in a room than developers. You can imagine how efficiently that works.
    * Projects are invariably short-sighted and long, or even medium, term solutions are frowned upon and dangerous for your career here.
    * Promotion and even simple cost of living adjustments are doled out based on who the manager is buddies with as opposed to who shows leadership and completes the vast majority of the work.
    * Don't really expect any career advancement here, or even the smallest cost of living adjustments. Typical raises are 0% a year. Seriously.

Advice to Management

To the top-level management, work on maintaining a consistent culture. Major cultural shakeups are making your best and most talented individual leave the company. Focus less on catching up and following what existing companies are doing and take some risks and LEAD again.

To the mid-level management. Honestly, there are just far far too many of you guys. Managers should never out-number developers in development meetings. It's like they don't even know where to be or what to do there are so many of them.

Also, recognize your true top contributors. These are the people trying to make you look good, and are almost always NOT the yes-people you seem to favor so often.

And overall: I understand that the company is in dire-straights and doesn't what to have any sort of raises year-after-year, but you *can* get creative with ways to retain employees. Extra days off, stock options, etc. SHOW that you appreciate the hard work.

10. "Will get better with the next CEO... hopefullly!"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work balance
    Decent salaries
    Great products that actually work compared to our competitors

Cons

Bloated management, no leadership
    Bonus inexistent

Advice to Management

Do something useful and contribute to the top and bottom line!

11. "IBM"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You can work from home / remotely.

Cons

M-F Travel, constant looking for next project to stay employed, no or under 1% raises.

Showing 86 of 27,392 reviews