IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

IBM Atlanta Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Atlanta, GA Area

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 850 reviews)

• Working long hours is pretty typical (in 420 reviews)

1. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow. Salaries are competitive.

Cons

One can be lost in a ocean in the large company.

Apr 24, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for the review. We are glad you mentioned career growth as we work hard to ensure our employees have professional growth opportunities such as training programs and mentoring.

2. "My IBM Experience"

Current Employee - ISS/MSS SOC Computer Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ISS/MSS SOC Computer Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is one of the best companies in the world to work for. They actually care about their employees. Being at the forefront of technology, there is a lot of room for growth and career opportunities. I have been working for them almost 3 years and in my 30 years in the computer industry, it is by far the BEST. I am proud to say I am an IBMer!!!

Cons

I haven't had a pay raise yet in over 2 years - not even a merit raise. I wish that would change. But other than that, I enjoy my job and my team!

Advice to Management

Merit raises would be very much appreciated!

Apr 25, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBM is an excellent tech company, which offers many opportunities to grow your career.

3. "Account Customer Service"

Former Employee - Account Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a motto that everyone learned almost first day.
    Respect for the Individual, Customer Satisfaction. And the Pursuit of Excellence.
    I worked with some of the best people internally and externally and trained constantly on new equipment, safety, driving, and position.

Cons

Working 10 straight days on one shift.
    Thats all.

Advice to Management

Know employees better in upper management.

"Client Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, collaboration is encouraged.

Cons

Little to no real management/leadership with the sales ground troops. Company has way to many spreadsheet managers in management and not enough staff in sales, sales support and product development. With that being the case IBM is killing off the seasoned employee population every couple of quarters! They are bringing on young talent that old management can't train because they are busy managing monthly/quarterly forecast spreadsheets. The new and younger employees are many times left to find more seasoned teammates to understand IBM's antiquated quoting and billing systems. Younger employees will be less patient over time with frequent sales management inspection, QBR's, systems and lack of job related training and development.

Advice to Management

Improve your management selection process. If your going to go young maybe a few fresh faces in HQ would help with real vision for a 21st century IBM. Upgrade your CRM to Salesforce.com to limit cadence inspection or demand that your first line managers actually learn how to forecast from our current CRM vs Excel spreadsheets!!! Stop all the layoffs! It's already damaged employee moral beyond repair! You can't win with a scared and confused sales force! Enough already! It's time to really invest in your people (seasoned and new) to ensure IBM is around for another 100 plus years. At the current rate the odds are against that happening!!! Please take this into account that even with Watson, People and building customer relationships still matter!

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has amazing products, services, and people. I loved working for IBM and regret leaving. A world class organization.

Cons

With at big company you tend to be just another number.

Apr 14, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for your review. We agree that IBM is a great place to work with amazing people, products, and services.

"Lots of Promise and Too Many Chiefs!"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company has great Technical Prowess. The Cognitive and Analytics Machines are great . They lead the Industry in the right things for the right time.

Cons

The Execution is sorely lacking. Too Many People all in the lead. The Company is 383000 people compared to 450000 at the beginning of 2016, but is still way to heavy in Legacy Leadership. They should drop 25% of Legacy leaders to be more effective

Advice to Management

Reduce Management, Improve the Structure, and focus on Execution of Sales Process.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

large enterprise company means many jobs available
    good compensation

Cons

As with many companies, how good the work experience is....is largely dependent on your manager.

"Glad to be away from IBM"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get paid twice a month. They have a nice 401(K) match, but you only get it if you are employed on the mid-December pay period. Otherwise, NONE.

Cons

Employees are not respected and cast aside when convenient. Internal certifications are meaningless. Upper management just takes care of themselves.

Advice to Management

Provide some real management

"Working at IBM was unique experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my position, knowing what I did improved the job satisfaction of thousands of other employees was extremely gratifying.

Cons

Incredible bureaucracy means things that can be accomplished with a couple calls or emails at a smaller company, can take days or weeks . IBM has so many overlapping pieces that even the company is no longer aware of what they have.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape, appreciate the people who are trying to be efficient, and realize that "Agile" is more than a methodology, it has a definition, it means swift and changeable.

"IBM Software Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great breadth of products to sell, including cutting edge technologies such as Watson. Name recognition in all areas of information technology, with a 100+ year history of helping companies solve business problems with technology. Best of breed software products built through development and key acquisitions.

Cons

Due to its size, IBM has challenges in changing to meet volatile market dynamics. At the individual client level, sales strategies are often driven by constantly changing compensation plans.

Advice to Management

Heed the advice of first line sales managers, who consistently have the best pulse of the marketplace. Go back, wherever possible, to a geographic (branch) sales model, where your sellers live in the territory with their clients, and take advantage of the life long relationships that will develop.

Showing 451 of 30,426 reviews